Author Topic: Archibald MOSMAN Harriett FARQUHARSON  (Read 16599 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald MOSMAN Harriett FARQUHARSON
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 01:14 GMT (UK) »
As far as my own NSW resources go, that's the only Lawrence KENNY I can find in the Hunter in the mid 1800's. 

Do you have any further information about David and Annie, parents of Lawrence who died in Qld in 1916?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline yspreadb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 01:33 GMT (UK) »

Hello JM

On Lawrence's marriage certificate to Angie he has his parents as David (a mariner) and Annie.

Lawrence was a friend and business partner with Archibald Mossman I believe Archibald Mossman was also a Sargent in the Native Police and worked on a place called Linda Downs in about the 1870s. 

Lawrence worked on Headlingly Station (as the manager) in the late 1800s.  He was meant to have travelled up from the Maitland area with the person who had brought Headlingly Station.

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi ispreadb
Lawrence Theodore Kenny (according to a tree I have seen) the one who married Angeline/Angelina (married on the 28.03.1898 at Camooweal)...Lawrence was born circa 1858 at West Maitland, NSW. He died on the 17th.09.1933. He had married Angeline (her father was Jack) Merridah who was born in 1870 in the Sandover Desert (then in South Australia, now part of the N.T.), she was an aboriginal woman. Angeline died on the 12.05.1940 at Alsace Station, Gregory in western Qld. They had 7 children, including Lawrence Theodore Kenny (the man I mentioned in a previous post) (28.11.1890 born at Headingly Station, Gregory, died 17.09.1933 at White Hills Station in Qld), Mabel Josephine Kenny (12.05.1894, died 16.10.1977 at Mt Isa), Jack Kenny (born 1896), William Clarence Kenny (born 1898), Kate Kenny (born 1900), Amy (born 1902), Barney Kenny (09.12.1905 at Alsace Station, Gunpowder).
My friend who is also descended from Lawrence Theodore Kenny would love a copy of the marriage certificate if you have one; this could be messaged to me by personal message if you don't wish it to be public (person message icon is on the left of the page) near the person's photo.
Parents of the Lawrence Kenny born around 1858 were David & Annie, no more detail given.
I will pass on the connections that you have shared between the Mosman & Kenny families, that is all very interesting history, thanks!
You have probably read the previous posts about Archibald Mosman's father who was Sir Archibald Mosman, a very wealthy Scotsman after whom the suburb in Sydney, Mosman was named.
I will look further to find more about the parents of Lawrence snr, David & Annie.
Deb
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 07:58 GMT (UK) »
I apologise if this double up on information already posted.
I have tried to clarify the family line of interest and to support it with some dates and references where able.

The Lawrence Theodore KENNY who died in 1916 (see above) had, according to the informant at the death registration, parents named David KENNY and Anne KENNEDY. I have not seen his birth in either QLD or NSW.

In 1898, he married

1898   C200   Laurence   KENNY
-   Merridah

His wife was aboriginal and her alternative name seems to be Angelene.
He became a grazier and after his death in 1916, 1000 head of his herd was advertised for sale.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/20365346

Angelene and Lawrence had children and one was Laurence KENNY.

This birth is likely his-
1903   O857   Laurence   KENNY
Father Laurence
Mother Merriddah

BUT please note the “O” before the registration number.
It denotes-
Memo birth—registered more than 60 days after the date of birth. A memo birth was sometimes late registration.

It is not possible for the man to have been born in 1903 as he was registered to vote in QLD in 1913.

Address Alsace
KENNY, Lawrence Theodore, grazier
KENNY, Laurence, Stockman.

Address Alsace
KENNY, Laurence, Stockman.

Address Alsace
KENNY, Laurence, station manager
KENNY May
Others of the surname

As above

His death
1933   C4033 Laurence Theodore   KENNY
Father Laurence Theodore KENNY
Mother Angie -

There is some evidence on the web that May Carlton KENNY died in 1985.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yspreadb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 09:09 GMT (UK) »

Hello Sue
Thank you for that information.  The Trove information is new to me and a great bit of information.

I am wondering if their is some connection between Sir Archibald Mossman and David Kenny also where and when did Lawrence Kenny and Archibald Mossman become friends.  For example did they travel to Queensland together?

Offline yspreadb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 09:13 GMT (UK) »

Deb I am happy to provide the marriage certificate or it could be the death certificate I am just not sure now as it is some time since I saw it,  when I locate it I will let you know.

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, yspreadb. Sue, some great information! You are right to state about Angeline/Angelene/Angelena (different variants in records) that an alternative name is Merridah (also Merriddah). I have seen her name on web trees as Angeline Merridah (as stated in previous post).

Quote from Sparra: "Angelene and Lawrence had children and one was Laurence KENNY.

This birth is likely his-
1903   O857   Laurence   KENNY
Father Laurence
Mother Merriddah

BUT please note the “O” before the registration number.
It denotes-
Memo birth—registered more than 60 days after the date of birth. A memo birth was sometimes late registration.

It is not possible for the man to have been born in 1903 as he was registered to vote in QLD in 1913."

Sue, I have seen Lawrence Theodore's birthdate on web trees as 28.11.1890, born at Headingly Station, Gregory but in another tree he is listed as being born at Camooweal which is not far from where Angeline Merridah was reportedly born (Lake Nash at the northern end of the Sandover Desert). This date does fit in with the electoral records. I listed his siblings in a previous post. Some of these have been recorded in the Qld BDM's. Below are the recorded births of Laurence & Angeline Kenny (as well as the births of 2 children of Laurence & May). Note that 3 births were registered in 1903 but as Sue pointed out previously, this may not reflect the actual birth year.
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iforani and  yspreadb,
About the   late birth registrations, I am sure many of them were before  the marriage of Angelene and Lawrence and were registered good while  afterwards.

I have glanced at the online trees, mostly in hopes of seeing a certificate or other official documents to validate the information set out.  However, to date, I see very little such evidence.  This of course is the major flaw in many, many "family trees on the web"  They often amount to nothing more than erroneous copied information with a bit of guesswork.

Interestingly, I have noticed an increasing number of people who say they are "compiling their family history", are perfectly happy with this shallow  level of research and accept it without further inquiry ::) 

To know where and when Laurence (who married May) was born, you would  need their marriage certificate which would likely contain correct information being given by the couple themselves.

Hi ispreadb
Lawrence Theodore Kenny (according to a tree I have seen) the one who married Angeline/Angelina (married on the 28.03.1898 at Camooweal)...Lawrence was born circa 1858 at West Maitland, NSW. He died on the 17th.09.1933.

As I mentioned, I cannot see this 1858 birth, but his death date typed here is not correct.  He died in 1916. (see above)

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Did Lawrence, the one born about 1858, West Maitland, yes, that one ..... do you know if he has any siblings?  Perhaps siblings born in NSW?

I ask this simply because if there's other siblings, born in NSW after 1 March 1856, then if Lawrence is their older brother, he should be named on their birth registration.

I am actually wondering if Lawrence was perhaps quite a number of years older than thought, and perhaps he was born in the 1840s rather than about 1858.

The NSW BDM's online index is not a recent index, but it is based on an index that was first prepared in the 1930s, so we need to remember that by the 1930s the original registers had been subject to normal office wear and tear and the usual ink bleeds etc as well as the possible poor handwriting from the scribes, and all those types of practical issues.   Then when the system was first transferring to EDP, there were cards that were destroyed (jammed etc).   So apart from poor spelling on the original registers, or lack of attendance at the registry office in time to register a birth, there's many reasons for not finding a birth registration INDEXED at NSW BDM online.

In passing, may I mention that there's an Early Church Record indexed at NSW BDM but it is for a baptism back in 1842.   Laurence, with parents as Laurence and Mary KENNY.   There's other baptisms with same names as parents. 

I should also mention that "Kenny" may be mis-read by transcribers preparing indexes.   

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.