Author Topic: America - photos of a big white house! COMPLETED  (Read 5116 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: America - photos of a big white house!
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 03 September 09 22:46 BST (UK) »
Think the surname is Treglown- there are some in Florida but the family could be from anywhere.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 05 September 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, it seems to look like Treglown, but when I asked the lady at the Rockefeller Archives, by email, about this name she said there is no record associated with the Rockefeller family history. I thought it strange, as surely there would be some press coverage at the time; whatever JDR was doing at any one time it could have been observed and recorded. Maybe?

I wrote to a gentleman who left his email address on his website covering Greek Revival Architecture and he replied almost straight away that he cannot identify the house. He added that it is probably one of the Rockefeller properties, but he is not familiar with it. A quick reply maybe because it really is not on his list of Greek Revival Architecture. So, yet again no result. Ah well, maybe one day.
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline beluga07

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bethgem,
Are you still looking for your big white house?
I came across a photo posted recently on "Old Long Island" blog and it triggered my memory of your query.
The house is called Crossroads and it's on Long Island.

http://www.oldlongisland.com/2010/01/crossroads.html

A number of the photos are taken from different aspects, and there are other buildings on the estate that look less familiar, but the South Front photo (the first one) looks very similar to my untrained eye! It's the only house I've seen that has the same 4 squared columns, two storeys, shutters, and flat roof as your photo, and other parts of the house have the distinctive oval windows. It was built in 1919.

If not, perhaps Long Island might still be a good place to search!

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 13:52 GMT (UK) »
I am very grateful for that information, beluga07. I have sent Zach an email just now, and wait with baited breath for his reply!
I'll keep you posted!
 :)

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Result! That IS the Big White House on that website!
I sent Zach the photos in an attachment to my email. He is ever so pleased to see them! The place is called "Crossroads" (no, nothing to do with the tv soap that once was, here!) and it is in a suburb of New York State. So now we know! Big thanks to beluga07 for the link, and all the work involved in finding it.  :)

Also, I mentioned the family my Aunt Maud worked for in America, the Treglown family, and said I couldn't trace them and Zach gave me a link to The New York Times newspaper which has a few reports on that family name. Although they might not be the ones, but it is better than I could find using that name in searches. I don't think it's wise to contact them after so long.

So then I must now announce that this case is closed. Thank you to everyone who have been helpful to me with this query.

All the best, Bethgem  :)

Offline beluga07

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: America - photos of a big white house! COMPLETED
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Great news!