Author Topic: John West COMPLETED  (Read 3534 times)

Offline mrussell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John West COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 02 March 05 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Moderator
I'm looking for information about my great-grandmother, Martha West.   On her marriage certificate (married Walter Scott Anderson in Bowen, North Queensland, Australia in 1867) her parents are shown to be John West (Presbyterian Clergyman (decd) and Martha Weir.   Her place of birth is Newton-Hamilton, Ireland.   Her age at the time of her marriage is listed as 22 years.   I don't know how she came to Australia.   Any further information about this line of my family would be gratefully received.
Marian Russell
Caloundra
Queensland
Australia

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: John West
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 April 05 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hei Marian,

Rev John West of Tullyvallan, Newtownhamilton is mentioned in Griffiths Valuation Co. Armagh 1864 http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/armagh/newtownhamilton.htm

" A History of Congregations of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland  1610 - 1982 "    Pub. 1982 Presbyterian Historical Society
I will have a look at this book and see what information it offers about Rev John West

Offline rjkids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 August 06 11:34 BST (UK) »
Marion,

Martha West is my Great Great Grandmother. I have some information on her early years in Queensland which I would be happy to share, however her trail becomes quite cold in her middle age.

Have you been found any additional information since you posted this request?

Reg Andison
Bowen, Qld
Andison (Anderson)
Rea
Wharley (Warley)
Wachter

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 March 09 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Going through old posts and noticed this one which looks incomplete.

Rev. John West (lic. Markethill 1821) ordained 9 Sept.1823 Second Newtonhamilton Presbyterian Church, retired 1862, died 21 Nov.1864.

His son Rev. Thomas West (lic. Belfast) ordained 20 Nov.1867 First Antrim Presbyterian Church, retired 4 Nov.1919, married a daughter of Rev. Frederick Buick of Ahoghill.

- above details from A History of Congregations in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland 1610-1982.

1833 John West, Markethill Presbytery: www.from-ireland.net/diocs/presbysynod1833.htm

Belfast Weekly News, 10 Jan.1857: January 7, at the Sandy's Street Presbyterian Church, Newry, by the Reverend J.R. M'Alister, of Armagh, Mr James Allen, Officer of Inland Revenue, Nantwich, Cheshire, to Mary, daughter of Rev. J. West, Newtownhamilton.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/bwnextracts/bwn18570100.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mrussell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 05:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey for your recent message.   This item now has been completed.   I was very lucky in that a cousin (removed) in Australia responded to my message and I was able to take advantage of his research.   Do I need only to add 'COMPLETED' on the original message to remove it?
Marian

Offline rjkids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John West COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
Marion,

Do you have any more on Martha West?  I believe I have her death at 1897 in Toowoomba Qld.

Reg
Andison (Anderson)
Rea
Wharley (Warley)
Wachter