Author Topic: 1891 census lookup- Fraser  (Read 7110 times)

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1891 census lookup- Fraser
« on: Saturday 22 August 09 13:53 BST (UK) »
If someone could help, greatly appreciated..

My Alexander Fraser born 7th March 1863 Englishton Muir Farm, Kirkhill Inverness Scotland.

In 1881, he was living with his family at Englishton Muir Farm, Kirkhill Inverness (no occupation listed and was 18) but not living there in 1891.

In 1893 he was living Marylebone London as his marriage took place there and address at time of marriage looks like 1 Molyneux Street Marylebone London (age 30 and a Police Constable).

Someone kindly had a look many years ago for me in London and ended up finding his brother in Liverpool for me but no Alexander.

His wife, Katherine McCulloch was from Dores Inverness so maybe he stopped there first!!

The name Fraser is a night mare!!

Tired, Ele..

McQuade. Co Monaghan Ireland>Glasgow Scotland.
McGurk. Belfast Ireland>Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

This information is crown copy copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Fraser. Inverness Scotland>London.
Coulson. London.
Phil(l)ips. Glasgow Scotland.

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census lookup- Fraser
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 09 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hello

Marylebone RG12/97 Folio 47 Page 27

In the Police Station at Molyneux Street, Marylebone is Alexander Fraser aged 27 from Scotland. He has been transcribed as Alexander Frances but it clearly says Fraser on the original image. He is shown as a Constable in the Metropolitan Police.

Do you think that he might be your man ?

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 09 00:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you that would 100% have to be him.

He worked for the Metro Police, Marylebone for years and if in the Police Station at Molyneux, thats where he lived,1 Molyneux Street.

Thats fantastic, I am so excited. I am gathering information on my Frasers to surprise my Gran at Xmas as that was her maiden name. Better than the soaps and creams I normally would give her!! She was born and grew up in London, so I am sure the place names will bring back many memories.

Thank you very much. Have a nice day/night Ele.

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

Coulson. London.

Offline davief

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ele,
I'm hoping you are still around somewhere in here .... well its just that i'm hoping we may have some connection of sorts ..... my family are Frasers and still living at Englishton Muir, Bunchrew, Inverness.
I've just started this family history and stumbled upon your posts, please get in touch if you can ...haha if not i'm gonna have to track you down some other way ...and you know how many of us there are ...?

speak soon (hopefully)

Davie

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 05:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Davie, Im here, somewhere- sane today well a little more than normal!

Family still at Englishton Muir, wow.. I think there may have been a couple of Fraser families living there at the time my Frasers were there and more than likely related I would say.

I havent any notes in front of me at the moment (havent searched since last year, 3 kids keep me more than busy) but more than interested on what you know and a photo of Englishton Muir as its my Gran who was the Fraser though the family had left Inverness long before she was born.

I think I do have my Fraser family posted on rootschat somewhere but to be honest I dont know that much. All I know is that we perhaps descend from a Simon and Annabelle Fraser who lived Corack/Korack cant quite remember and there son moved to Englishton Muir and had his children and presume died at Englishton Muir. I will dig my notes out later.

Ta Ele.

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

Coulson. London.

Offline davief

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ele,
Brilliant ...you are still here and even better being sane (you already sound like one of us haha) ... you are right about there being a few Frasers, in my time there were two families who can claim a history to Englishton Muir although the further back you go the more you find.
As i say i have just started looking and already its proving to be "interesting" to say the least!!!

My line (so far) is as follows
My Father (Alexander) born 1937 Inverness
Grandfather (John) Born 1901 died 1943 married Agnes Robbie 1934 Born 1903.

Great grandfather (Alexander) born 1862 died 1906 Married Annie Fraser 1891 born in Blackfold 1867 and had 6 children Hannah, Elizabeth, Alice, Catherine, John and i think Alexander.

His father (also Alexander) Born approx 1821 in Kirkhill and died 1901-1906 was married to Mary Fraser born 1831 in Kirkhill and died approx same year 1906.... and it gets a little vague here.... also possibly had 6 children Christina, Hannah, Alexander, Ann, William and Mary.

And i'm afraid this is as far as i have got His father (William) born Kirkhill about 1795 married to Christina born about 1798 and shows in the 1851 Census to have had 4 children Alexander, Margaret, Helen and Christina ....

I havent managed to branch out on any of the children as yet and just purely wanted to search my fathers line .....but given time and a lot of luck i am hoping to complete this .... ONE day...??

Thanks for replying ... hope to speak more.

Davie

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 04:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,

We connect at William and Christina Fraser..

Now my dates ect are from people who have kindly given me a hand so forgive me if they are wrong or slightly out- one day when the kids arnt burning a hole in my purse!!will search. If you look under 'Inverness' on here you will find my post with help from people.

William Fraser born 1795 married Christina 'Christy' Fraser nee Bissett.
He was a Crofter at Englishton Muir and his parents were Alexander Fraser also a Crofter and Ann Fraser nee McDonald.

William Fraser died 16th April 1864 at Englishton Muir, witness to death was Christy Fraser.

Christina Fraser parents were 'perhaps' an Evan Bissett and an Ann Gordon. She died 7th Oct 1879, witness was son John Fraser. Christina was born Urquhart.

have ran out of room, next page!

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

Coulson. London.

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 04:24 BST (UK) »
In 1851 William and Christina were living Englishton Muir he was a Crofter (3 acres) with children,
Alexander 31
Margaret 29
Helen 23
Christina 10.

now, I descend from Helen Fraser b. Kirkhill c1830

Helen Fraser married Thomas Fraser. Helen died 1869 perhaps at child birth?? son Thomas was born 1869, so just guessing.

My Thoms Fraser was born Kilarlity c1823 to a Simon Fraser b Kiltarlity c1786 and an Annabella (Annabelle) Fraser ms unknown, b c1791 Kiltarlity.
all I know on them is that they had my Thomas and maybe a Janet.

next page!

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

Coulson. London.

Offline ele

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 04:38 BST (UK) »
Thomas Fraser married Helen Fraser and lived Englishton Muir. Christina Fraser ended up living with them after William died and Christina was living there in 1871

Thomas and Helen Fraser had childre,
Hugh 1855
Christina 1857
William 1857
James 1859-1859
Mary 1861
Alexander 1863-my line ended up going to London had a son Alexander and my Gran Doris Fraser only child born to Alexander and wife Jessie.
Donald 1856
Thomas 1869

Thomas remarried Janet after Helen died and had a daughter Jessie.

I stumbled across a will listed somewhere for a John Fraser, Farmer, Englishton Muir Kirkhill Inverness Shire d 20/7/1880 at Englsigton Testate. I presume he could have been William and Christinas son? If interested I will try and find where I saw it, never know what information it holds.

Hope this all helps.. My Thomas also was a Farmer at Englishton Muir (acres 25 arable) He is also listed as being born Strathglass.
Ele

Chappell. Bristol.
Nichol(l)s. Bristol.

Coulson. London.