Author Topic: Never searched before but would like to find out more about Minns, County Durham  (Read 10604 times)

Offline MacBraveheart

• RootsChat Extra
  • MacBrave forever
    • View Profile
Re: Never searched before but would like to find out more about Minns, County Durham
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 23:03 BST (UK) »
I am getting quite addicted to being here.

Dare I say it to MacBraveheart?.......................Join the Clan!

Jill

Oh Jill...  That is a pun and a half!  LOL!  Thank you- I will.  :-D
Hartshorn, Durham
Minns, Durham
McGregor Mackay, Durham
von Damm- Friesland, Germany

Offline MacBraveheart

• RootsChat Extra
  • MacBrave forever
    • View Profile
Re: Never searched before but would like to find out more about Minns, County Durham
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 31 March 05 13:10 BST (UK) »
OK- got it:

Stephen Minns, aged 32 (widower- TADA!), coal miner of Bearpark, Durham, son of Michael Minns, and

Florence MacGregor Mackay, aged 21, of no profession and also of Bearpark, Durham, daughter of James Ewan Mackay-

were married in Durham on the 29th October 1910. 

So Pam- you were right with:

"Minns, Stephen 1878 March Births Durham (1837-1938) Co. Durham," and even possibly-

"The only Stephen Minns I can find is married to Lavinia Rome (or Room as per census).  It maybe the same man if Florence was a second marriage?

For Florence Mackay
There is a 12 yr old  in Sunderland, Durham (father = James)"

And Fifer- it was the right certificate- I am very grateful and-

"Hi Mac
Sorry for butting in here my Husband says there are minns were he comes from(Easington lane )Durham on the 1891 there is a Stephen Minns age 13 in Easington Lane"

seems to be another score!  He would, indeed, have been 13 that year.

Now what folks?!??!?!?!

LOL!
Hartshorn, Durham
Minns, Durham
McGregor Mackay, Durham

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 March 05 14:04 BST (UK) »
This is a good starting point as you are slap into available census.

My method is to collect all the census material you can for each of the two folks, Stephen and Florence.

So we need for Stephen Minns...

1881 age 2 or 3 this can be found here...
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

Then I'd get 1891 and 1901 ( a look up here will I'm sure appear, if not I'll have a scout tonight). 

1901 can be found here but pay per view...
http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

This will give you a good idea of Stephen's family, parents and siblings.  This can be backed up with birth details from http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/ (Pay per view) or http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ (for free but not all entries are there yet).

If you are looking for births and marriages pre-1837 then use the IGI on the same website as the 1881.

As I said, when I get home tonight I'll have a scout if someone else hasn't got here first.  Rootschatters generally want any excuse to play in a census  ;D

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline MacBraveheart

• RootsChat Extra
  • MacBrave forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 31 March 05 14:21 BST (UK) »
This is a good starting point as you are slap into available census.

My method is to collect all the census material you can for each of the two folks, Stephen and Florence.

So we need for Stephen Minns...

1881 age 2 or 3 this can be found here...
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

Then I'd get 1891 and 1901 ( a look up here will I'm sure appear, if not I'll have a scout tonight). 

1901 can be found here but pay per view...
http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

This will give you a good idea of Stephen's family, parents and siblings.  This can be backed up with birth details from http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/ (Pay per view) or http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ (for free but not all entries are there yet).

If you are looking for births and marriages pre-1837 then use the IGI on the same website as the 1881.

As I said, when I get home tonight I'll have a scout if someone else hasn't got here first.  Rootschatters generally want any excuse to play in a census  ;D

Pam
 ;D

And the fact I know that Stephen's dad was Michael Minns born 1839 and resident of Easington Lane, Durham is not enough?  James Ewan Mackay is the one presenting me a problem!  He was a journeyman and though I believe he was BORN in Scotland he obviously "got around" a bit...
Hartshorn, Durham
Minns, Durham
McGregor Mackay, Durham

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 31 March 05 16:55 BST (UK) »
It could be enough but I have a very regimented approach  ;D

So we need to collect what we can about Florence to work back to her parents.  So we know she was born about 1889.

So in 1901 we have a possible...

RG13/4723
Sunderland 
Monkwearmouth 
ED: 13 Folio: 13 Page: 17
Schedule No:    110

James Mackay Head 42  House Painter bn Scotland
Lizzie Mackay Wife 39  Scotland
Ada Mackay Daughter 15  bn Scotland
Evelyn Mackay Daughter 14  Sunderland, Durham
John Mackay Son 13  Sunderland, Durham
Florence Mackay Daughter 12  Sunderland, Durham, 
Fred Mackay Son 10  Sunderland, Durham
Hetty Mackay Daughter 8  Sunderland, Durham
Mary Mackay Daughter 4  Sunderland, Durham

Does the Marriage cert say what James' occupation is?  I would want another confirmation that this is the right family?

Hmm can't find in 1891 so maybe in Scotland even though their 14 yr old is born in Sunderland.

I presume that Lizzie and James were married in Scotland as there 1st kids were born there.  I would go onto http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which is pay per view but very cheap (compared to England & Wales certs (£1.20 per search plus view)) their marriage will give you all 4 parents including maiden names.

To find Lizzie's maiden name I would look for Ada's birth in all of Scotland but  limit it to 1886 plus or minus 2 years.

All the best,
Pam
 ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart

Online intermittently!

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 31 March 05 17:05 BST (UK) »
This birth may throw a bit of a spanner or not  ???

Name:    Mackay, Florence Elizabeth E
Qtr  June 1889
District: Sunderland 
County: Co. Durham Tyne and Wear
V: 10a P: 580

No Macgregor?

Often the middle name is the mother's maiden name in Scotland but evidence would be needed.

Pam
 ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~

Online intermittently!

Offline MacBraveheart

• RootsChat Extra
  • MacBrave forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 31 March 05 17:18 BST (UK) »
It could be enough but I have a very regimented approach  ;D

So we need to collect what we can about Florence to work back to her parents.  So we know she was born about 1889.

So in 1901 we have a possible...

RG13/4723
Sunderland 
Monkwearmouth 
ED: 13 Folio: 13 Page: 17
Schedule No:    110

James Mackay Head 42  House Painter bn Scotland
Lizzie Mackay Wife 39  Scotland
Ada Mackay Daughter 15  bn Scotland
Evelyn Mackay Daughter 14  Sunderland, Durham
John Mackay Son 13  Sunderland, Durham
Florence Mackay Daughter 12  Sunderland, Durham, 
Fred Mackay Son 10  Sunderland, Durham
Hetty Mackay Daughter 8  Sunderland, Durham
Mary Mackay Daughter 4  Sunderland, Durham

Does the Marriage cert say what James' occupation is?  I would want another confirmation that this is the right family?

Hmm can't find in 1891 so maybe in Scotland even though their 14 yr old is born in Sunderland.

I presume that Lizzie and James were married in Scotland as there 1st kids were born there.  I would go onto http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which is pay per view but very cheap (compared to England & Wales certs (£1.20 per search plus view)) their marriage will give you all 4 parents including maiden names.

To find Lizzie's maiden name I would look for Ada's birth in all of Scotland but  limit it to 1886 plus or minus 2 years.

All the best,
Pam
 ;D

I am dizzy.  Can I buy you?  LOL!  You are good at this.

Of course- I knew as soon as I had posted that the only answer IS being regimental.  I just got carried away on guesswork and the fact that we had already had mention of Easington lane!

Yes, I can confirm that James Ewan Mackay was a Painter JOURNEYMAN and I am reliably told that Florence was visiting the area at the time she met her husband to be in search of work with horses.  It is believed she was born in Scotland but hey- the shoe fits!

FYI- Stephen Minns' dad Michael was a miner according to the marriage licence.

Updated to add:

James Ewen (that is the spelling) Mackay married a Lizzie Darnlie in St Nicholas, Aberdeen in 1884.
Hartshorn, Durham
Minns, Durham
McGregor Mackay, Durham

Offline MacBraveheart

• RootsChat Extra
  • MacBrave forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 31 March 05 23:38 BST (UK) »
 :-X

I FINALLY got on that site and found the record- seems it doesn't like Macs...

So here it is:

James Ewen Mackay, aged 25 at his marriage in 1884, was son to George Mackay who married a Betsy Ewen.

Lizzie Darnlie Stephen, aged 23 at her marriage to the above in 1884, was daughter to George Stephen who had married a Margaret McGregor (tada- our clue that this is, indeed, the right family- the granddaughter Florence carried her middle name!).

Both fathers of the wedded couple were deceased in 1884.

I have ordered the certificate but can show you it here-  uk.geocities.com/macapplehall@btinternet.com/avatars/marriagelicence.jpg as I am drawing major blanks there with finding birth or marriage dates for George Mackay and Betsy Ewen; and George Stephen and Margaret McGregor...

<-(I like this one- it reminds me of Miffy the white rabbit)
Hartshorn, Durham
Minns, Durham
McGregor Mackay, Durham

Offline MacBraveheart

• RootsChat Extra
  • MacBrave forever
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 April 05 01:23 BST (UK) »
Good folk- I am off for a week to Spain (need the holiday SOOO bad!!!) and will maybe get a chance to search some more once I get back.

It has been great fun and I think I may be learning.  Slowly.  Pam- you are the best!  In fact you are all wonderful and I could not imagine this being more fun!

How can I ever repay you?
Hartshorn, Durham
Minns, Durham
McGregor Mackay, Durham