Author Topic: 42nd Royal Tank Regiment  (Read 27948 times)

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 42nd Royal Tank Regiment
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 13 November 14 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Styx1

If you PM me with a mailing address I will copy my history of the 42nd and send it on.  I also recommend you take the opportunity of buying the war diary from Drew5233. I did and found it fascinating reading

Clive P

Offline swilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 08 January 15 21:22 GMT (UK) »
My late Dad, James Leslie (Les) Wilkins served as a driver with 42nd Royal Tank Regiment. He was captured on 1st June 1942 during the fighting at Gazala. Dad passed away in 1985 and his pay book and a calendar/memo book supplied to POW’s in Italy at Christmas 1942, came into my possession. In the latter he had made brief notes of places, dates, events and also a list of his mates.

I started researching his service, with varying degrees of success back in the eighties. The Tank Museum were able to supply a copy of the 42nd RTR history and incomplete war diary entries for 1st May 1942 - 13 June 1942. The Museum also supplied a small number of accounts from participants, these cover the events between 27th May 1942 - 1st June 1942. Two of these appear to have been obtained for the compilation of the history. From the available information obtained I was able to establish that Dad must have been (when captured) within ‘B’ Squadron. This Squadron had come under command of 1st Army Tank Brigade and was supporting 44th RTR during the Gazala action.

I only have a few photographs of Dad in uniform, but none with other members of the regiment. He did mention other photographs being taken, including some at the Sphinx and Pyramids. But he did not know what had happened to these particular pictures.

I also have a complete roll of honour for those of 42nd RTR who were killed in action. This was supplied to me by the the Regimental Association, still operating from Clapham Junction in 1997.

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 09 January 15 15:00 GMT (UK) »
You can cross ref the 42 RTR casualties with CWGC's search engine should you wish.

I have a complete set of 42 RTR war diaries upto 1942, including the appendices which Bovington don't have in their collection. Drop me a PM if you'd like any of then and I'll check to see if your man completed a PoW Liberation Report when I'm at the Archives next week.

Cheers
Andy

Offline swilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 09 January 15 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andy,

Thank you for the reply.

The series of diaries under: WO 169/4520 42 Royal Tank Regiment 1942 Jan.- Dec would be of interest.
Thank you also for the offer re POW Liberation (questionnaire) Report. I actually have my Dad's, it was attached to the back of his service record received from the MOD.

Coincidentally, from a recent post on a separate POW site, managed get in touch with the son of one of my Dad's list of mates. He lives and works in south east asia and is not positive about date of his Dad's capture. Would it be possible for you to check if there is a report for his Dad? If so, will send details. Can then send a PM to you re payment and contact details.

Cheers

Steve

Offline tokay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 04 September 15 13:44 BST (UK) »
My father served in 42RTR C squadron and was captured and taken prisoner by the Italians in 42.  I have several photos and bits if anybody is interested in having a look, once i have worked out how to get anything on this site. 

C B Mathews - tank driver

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 September 15 01:09 BST (UK) »
My father also C squadron captured May 30 1942 and held prisoner in Italy.  ( George Percival, Sgt tank commander)I would be very interested in any photos or bits and pieces.  I also have some bits that might be of interest.

C

Offline swilko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 September 15 18:03 BST (UK) »
When captured 1st June 1942 my father Les Wilkins was a driver with B squadron (brief details see 8 January 2015). Do not know if he was ever in any other squadron. He was with 42 RTR when they originally went out to North Africa in 1941. Would be interested in any photos or anything else of interest.

SW

Offline coults12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 October 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Drew5233, Am researching family member, Lt Derek Coulton, 42nd RTR, KIA 5/6/42 and buried in Knightsbridge Cemetery, Libya. Read on a post you may have copies of the appropriate War Diaries for sale - if so, I would be very interested. Cheers  AC

Offline cpercival

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 October 15 15:44 BST (UK) »
42 RTR embarked in SS Aronda in April 1941 and travelled round the Cape in convoy WS8A.  The story of this and other such convoys is told in a fascinating book ' The Winston Specials, Troopships via the Cape 1940-1943'  by Archie Munro.  Published in 2006 by Maritime Books of Liskeard, Cornwall, oddly my copy has no ISBN number but it can be obtained from a well known on-line bookseller.
Among my father's effects is a handy booklet instructing soldiers how to behave when ashore in Durban!
C