Author Topic: jacobite lists?  (Read 2887 times)

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
jacobite lists?
« on: Sunday 23 August 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
I was at a talk about Jacobites at the Book Festival in Edinburgh today. Mention was made of lists of men and prisoners and correspondence from individual ordinary Jacobite men to be found in the National Archives. I have searched online and can't find anything like that - can anyone help? Thanks in advance
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline Buzancy18

• RootsChat Member
  • Lest we Forget
    • View Profile
Re: jacobite lists?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
There were three books published by the Scottish Historical Society on Jacobite Prisoners and their fate. There are copies in the Archives and also Edinburgh Central Library and I beieve the Mitchell Library in Glasgow has them too.

Buzancy18
Girdwood, Fergusson, Graham, Porteous, Watson, Donaldson,

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
great! thanks
val
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline Trousdeloup

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 15 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've come across this old post and I'm curious what you've found. I notice the McCall in your list of surnames. My ancestors were McCalls that emigrated to the Carolinas in the 1700s. I think they may have been Jacobites that left, or were thrown out, after Culloden. So far, I've found very little to support that. In your search, have you found anything that might help?  Thanks!

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 15 16:32 BST (UK) »
There is an excellent book titled, No Quarter Given: The Muster Roll of Prince Charles Edward Stuart's Army, 1745-46 (published 2001), which is a useful reference for men who fought during the 1745.

It's an incomplete list, but the most comprehensive that is probably possible with the records we have. It lists each regiment, the men who were part of each unit, a location in which the individuals were from and their fate (killed, transported etc).

It's useful and interesting, but on its own may not be enough to prove a connection.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).