Author Topic: Manchester lodging houses  (Read 7960 times)

Offline annmarg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Manchester lodging houses
« on: Sunday 23 August 09 23:36 BST (UK) »
 I have just looked for my grandfather in the 1911 census, and discovered that he was living in a lodging house in Manchester which must have been huge, as the names go on for 14 pages with 30 names to the page.  All the names on the page I looked at were men.  As the 1911 census is really expensive, I can't check all the pages for the address.  Does anyone know the name of such a place, or were there many of them?
Many thanks,
Annmarg

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester lodging houses
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 09 23:50 BST (UK) »
If you click on your grandfathers name and use 10 credits for the transcript only - it should give you the address

When you turn up the entry on the index - does the first column show household or institution
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 August 09 09:02 BST (UK) »
You can now look at the images associated with the one you have paid for. One of the sheets is the address page, another is the cover sheet, and you can also look at the enumerator's summary sheet list of addresses around.

As long as you've paid for the detail sheet, these should be free.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 August 09 10:57 BST (UK) »
Have you any idea of the name of this lodging house?
I had a family member at 

THE IMPERIAL MEN'S HOME LODGING HOUSE The Imperial Mens' Home Lodging House, 1 Nail Street, Rochdale Road

Migky ;)

Offline annmarg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 August 09 11:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the suggestions.  I didn't realise that when I paid to view the original, I could also click on the address, cover, description etc.  I've now found that my grandfather was at the Corporation Lodging House at 17 Harrison Street Ancoats.  That's a great help, Thank you. 

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 August 09 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

:)

There is some general information about lodging houses on this link although it doesn't mention the Corporation Lodging House in Ancoats specifically.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/index.html

If you look at the index on the left hand side and click on "Other Establishments" you should see a section called "Common Lodging Houses"

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline annmarg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 00:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Luzzu.  It makes fascinating reading.
annmarg

Offline cazzoh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:33 GMT (UK) »
annmarg - you may have noticed that a gentle man by the name of "William Henry Buttress" was the head/manager of the lodging house in which your grandfather was a resident.

William Buttress is my maternal great-grandfather.  He had been a policeman in Scotland (you will have noticed his wife and lot of children were born there) and when he retired, he came down to Manchester.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi & welcome Cazzoh  :)
The Site of model lodging house, Harrison Street Ancoats 1898

Harrison lodging house

When complete that same year

Inside the lodging house

Another view inside