Author Topic: Manchester lodging houses  (Read 7961 times)

Offline cazzoh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester lodging houses
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those pictures Migky - my goodness, for some reason, and knowing the area with its terraced houses, I imagined it to be larger than a couple of terraces and not the size/proportion it was.  I only have pictures of my great grand-father who was the manager from about the early 30s - I will see if I can get a picture set up on here so you can add it to your collection of photos.

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 November 17 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Old thread, but my great-great-grandfather George LAMB was living at the Corporation Lodging House at 17 Harrison Street in 1911, too. (He's listed as George LAMBE.) Does anyone know if the place was later known as the Walton House? Thanks.
ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 November 17 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Walton House  was certainly in that area,Pollard St ,Every St.  I am not sure but it may have been connected to The Star Hall,founded by the Crossley family which did sterling work among the poor of that area.
After Frank Crossley died ( of Crossley's Springs and Motors) his wife carried on at Star Hall but eventually the Salvation Army took over.
They also founded Crossley's Maternity hospital there.
Walton House  made very good bacon butties,and when we were saving up to get married my fiancé  worked on Saturday mornings and sent across for them to give to his workforce at the nearby works on Pollard St. 
THere were also many lodging houses down in Angel Meadow,Collyhurst,at the bottom of Rochdale Road.
VIKTORIA.
P.S.  there are photographs of Star Hall and possibly Walton House on Manchester photographic archive site. V

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 December 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Mary8, fantastic interesting images. Really set me thinking. Thank you.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Mary8

• --
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 December 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
A lot more images on Manchester library images web site.

Migky knows more on the Lodging houses, but can't seems to contact him though this sight ?

Then again so many change their username on here, it's hard to know who is who?

Mary :)