Author Topic: HOLLAND gypsys  (Read 15119 times)

Offline janeo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HOLLAND gypsys
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 April 17 19:23 BST (UK) »
I've spent years looking for my greatgrandmother ,she was married to Frederick Elliott the only clues i have found ,a Christening for one of her children Aaron Elliott giveing father name Fred and mothers name Emily and i fiound a newspaper report called ';'Gypsies Gold ''nameing mrs Emily Elliott Gypsy of East Retford I also found a marriage between Emily Holland and Frederick Elliott ,but not sure if its the correct one .My Elliott family were from Nottinghamshire ,lincs East Retford is a favoured place...Any clues would help ,i think the family diowned her ...i've spokento some of the older members and they know nothing !!  regards   Janey
Smith, Wilson ,Elliot ,Ratchford Burnside ,

Offline JaneG

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 July 17 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi if you are looking for Moses and Ambretta Holland from Warwickshire, I am descended from them on my maternal grandmothers side.  In fact my maternal grandmother was named after her own grandmother, being registered as Amber Etta Holland, one of her brothers was also named Moses Holland after his grandfather.  I understand that Moses and Ambretta Holland are buried in Orton on the Hill. 

I grew up with tales of being descended from Romany gypsies, as a small child my grandmother told me I was decended from a gypsy princess, which of course I loved.   It wasn't until recently that I decided to look into it more.  It was brilliant to confirm what my grandmother had told me nearly 60 years ago.

Romanies originally came from India, 1,000 of years ago.  Hope this helps happy to discuss further.

Offline Cornishgal66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 July 18 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi. I'm from Cornwall. My Grandad was Benjamin Holland. Heard that he was from Somerset. Romany Gypsy. Don't know anymore about him.
Holland Romany Gypsy

Offline Cornishgal66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 August 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. Looking for my Holland roots too.
I know my Grandad Benjamin Holland was born in Gosport in 1888. One of his sisters was born in Somersetshire.
I think my Grandads father was called Joseph.
My Grandad then lived in Penzance then St.Ives in Cornwall.
Holland Romany Gypsy

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 16:54 BST (UK) »
If you are interested in HOLLANDs have you seen Eric Trudgill's latest compendium of data he's collected over many years "Ten Major Gypsy Families of Wales & The English West & North" which includes a Robert HOLLAND?

The ten families are: Daniel EVANS & Lydia JONES; Abel, Cinamenty & Patience RYALLS; Francis & Fanny HEAPS; Robert HOLLAND & Ann BRADBURY; George FLORENCE & Ann BAILEY; John SCARROTT & Ann HALL; Thomas SHERRIFF & Mary BUTLER; Edmund CHARLOTTE & Elizabeth JUSTICE; John & Faney WARTON; and Richard, Devit & Margaret HERON.

Hope this info is of use.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline MeirSoul

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 January 24 16:50 GMT (UK) »
If you are interested in HOLLANDs have you seen Eric Trudgill's latest compendium of data he's collected over many years "Ten Major Gypsy Families of Wales & The English West & North" which includes a Robert HOLLAND?

The ten families are: Daniel EVANS & Lydia JONES; Abel, Cinamenty & Patience RYALLS; Francis & Fanny HEAPS; Robert HOLLAND & Ann BRADBURY; George FLORENCE & Ann BAILEY; John SCARROTT & Ann HALL; Thomas SHERRIFF & Mary BUTLER; Edmund CHARLOTTE & Elizabeth JUSTICE; John & Faney WARTON; and Richard, Devit & Margaret HERON.

Hope this info is of use.

Anyone know if i can get a pdf copy of this as I'm interested in the family of George Florence and Ann Bailey
Halket- longton Stoke on Trent / Banff Scotland
Cooke - Meir/Longton Stoke on Trent
Emery- Meir/ Longton Stoke-on-Trent
Shaw - Birmingham
Leese - Longton/ Fenton/Stoke-on-Trent
Neild/Nield/Neeld/Neald- Uttoxeter/ Abbots bromley
Hodgkinson/Hodgkins - Uttoxeter/Hanbury/Lichfield/Rugeley/Abbots bromley
Brassington - Uttoxeter
Thorley - Stoke on Trent
Mears -Wetley Rocks/Longton Stoke on Trent
Breeze- Hanley/Longton/Stoke-on-Trent/Staffordshire/Shropshire
Burton - Uttoxeter

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 January 24 10:18 GMT (UK) »

Anyone know if i can get a pdf copy of this as I'm interested in the family of George Florence and Ann Bailey

I don't know of any PDFs but the book is sold by the Romany and Traveller Family History Society:

https://rtfhs.org.uk/publications/familyhistories/

and scroll down to the RTFHS Families Series and it's the first of a number of publications.

Hope this is of help.

(There are PDF copies of some of the early RTFHS publications such as the Sussex Gypsy Diaries, the four volume 1891 Census transcriptions, The Buckland and Buckley Index and The Winchester Confessions available on Parish Chest: https://www.parishchest.com/romany-and-traveller-fhs-4497.php)

Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas