Author Topic: HOLLAND gypsys  (Read 14954 times)

Offline Lino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HOLLAND gypsys
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 January 15 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul. If you type their names on to the internet, there are several sites with info on Moses and Ambretta Holland. Best wishes Lino .

Offline Gypsyroselee13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathey B
                     Moses holland was my great x3 grand dad if you could please tell me about them I'd be so grateful or if you have any pictures
Thank you so mum

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 21:20 GMT (UK) »
no I haven't a moses Holland in my tree I am afraid.your Hollands seem to be in the midlands .mine are very much west country.sorry
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline Gypsyroselee13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you 😊 for looking

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gypsyroselee

As with most families its complicated to explain how they all connect especially when siblings children partnered each other as in 1st cousin marriages.

Robert Holland b 1770 ? spouse was Ann according to a christening of  daughter & son Robert

Name:   Elizth. Holland
Baptism Date:   27 Jun 1798
Baptism Place:   Frolesworth,Leicester,England
Father:   Robert Holland
Mother:   Ann
FHL Film Number:   590774

Name:   Elizabeth Or Mary Holland
Marriage Date:   5 May 1817
Marriage Place:   All Saints,Loughborough,Leicester,England
Spouse:   Tobias Claydon
FHL Film Number:   592570, 592571

Son Robert 17 Aug 1800 Baptism Place:Barwell,Leicester,England > this son married

Name   Argely Smith
Gender   Female
Marriage Date   17 Jun 1819
Marriage Place   Gloostone,Leicester,England
Spouse   Robert Holland
FHL Film Number   590777

Robert Sr children >
Benjamin Holland married Sarah Hodgkin
Edward Holland married Rosanne Hodgkin
Elizabeth Holland married Tobias Clayton
Robert Holland married Argley Smith
Thomas Holland married Sarah Clayton
John Holland married Patience Hodgkin
Ann Holland married ?
Joseph Holland married Sinfi Sherriff

Fredrick Holland & Selina Clayton parents of >
Moses Holland born 1855 Ravenstone, Leicestershire spouse of Eliza Clayton parents Isabella Clayton & William Booth > who you were asking about.

Fredrick's brother Benjamin 1787 • Lawton, Leicestershire, England was father of Amboretta Holland & her spouse Moses  was son of Robert  1800 • Barwell, Leicestershire .

Moses partner Eliza b 1859 Matlock, Derbyshire, England her mother was Isabella Clayton and father William Booth never married and children were baptized as Booth but can be found as Clayton.
siblings for Eliza:
Shadrac Clayton   - Ephraim Clayton -Duanna Clayton- Jeremiah Clayton- Levi Clayton-Alvadine Clayton - Henry Clayton- Israel Clayton

Hope this helps

TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gypsyroselee

I found this record  and wonder if its parents ? It was not unusual for couples to wed after having children and certainly same place Eliza Holland married Tobias Clayton some 5 years later and often the case was families kept to certain places or churches to wed because of who they were etc not all vicars would perform ceremony but if they knew them would do so.

Name:   Robert Holland
Marriage Date:   2 Aug 1813
Marriage Place:   All Saints,Loughborough,Leicester,England
Spouse:   Ann Bradberry
FHL Film Number:   592570, 592571

Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

Offline Gypsyroselee13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 March 17 03:48 GMT (UK) »
 :o WOW,  how have you managed to get so far back it's totally killed my brain looking for my gypsy side and trying to find anything about them my grandad always told me my great x2 nan was the last one to live like a gypsy in a horse drawn caravan with a clay pipe she had olive skin and black hair where do you reckon our family line first originally came from do you reckon it was a different country or was it just England I find it truly amazing that we grow up not fully knowing  where we've come from and down the lines what DNA we hold from family members 100s of years ago and further :)

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 March 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Lol I am just very experienced at looking for people like this as my own family are Romany. :)

I have no idea if your family were from a different country or England I would not even guess. The only way to be certain as you have mentioned would be by DNA and that would have to be via a Male descendant in other words from Robert Holland Sr down through his son and so on unbroken male line through their sons to present day male, if that is a possible then you may find out where your Holland family originated from> reason being male DNA does not change from father to son and so on.hope this helps.

Personally I am not sure even if you did know the origins it makes a difference, if you read about origins of Romany written by so many experts they say originated in India and arrived in Mid-West Asia, then Europe, around 1,000 years ago.They left India sometime between the sixth and eleventh century.A fact which does not imply that they came from there or was their original homeland. Everybody must come from some place where his/her ancestors lived before, perhaps having arrived there from some other country who knows.......
There are not many helpful archaeological findings or written sources when it comes to mapping the path traveled by Romany you can spend many hours reading about what the experts think, but nothing has been proven to really explain where they came from and even if it could the one thing we would never know was what were our families original surnames? None sound foreign in the sense from another land.

It is far better to just map your own family history and enjoy the discoveries you find than try to fathom where they might have originated from at some point the further you attempt to go backwards you will not be able too, due to lack of written records, unless like some it becomes more about quantity rather than family history and wanting to impress how many people you can allege are related to you especially those who say I am Romany and only married one, that does not make them Romany unless their own ancestors can be proven to be Romany which as many Romany took a non Romany partner past and present does not automatically make them Romany only blood line can do that .

Offline Gypsyroselee13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 March 17 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for so much information it's something I'm going to look into to see who they are and how they lived I love history so much  ; :D