Author Topic: Lavington ROOPE in Tasmania -COMPLETED  (Read 11438 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lavington ROOPE in Tasmania
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hilary you may like to search just using ROOPE - a few goodies here ;D
http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 08:46 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/06yv/

Invercargill Cemetery

ROOPE Lavington George    82 Years
Date Buried    Jan 14 1927
Place of Death    Lewis Street,
Cemetery    Saint Johns Cemetery
Classification    General
Block 25    Plot    24B

Cheers
Cando

Offline paulnicclark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 August 09 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hilary,

I am a direct descendant of Lavington Roope. I've only started doing some family tree research over the past 6 months and so am a bit of a newbie.

I used Lavington as my starting point as his unusual name made things easier!

Raymond and Mabel Roope who are referred to elsewhere are my maternal grandparents. Raymond Charles Roope who was in the Navy was my uncle.

My grandfather was the son of Raymond Hamilton Roope (born 1857), who was the son of Lavington Roope.

Lavington Roope's date of birth was actually 8 December 1820, born in Dartmouth, in Devon.

Most of my searching to date has been to see how far back in the UK I could reach. Please let me know what areas are most of interest and I will try to add to what you have already been told by the other posts.

Very keen to hear anything you can add about your interest in the Roope family.

Regards, Paul Clark
Roope family tree, originally from Dittisham area in Devon, UK.

Offline richardsonh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 August 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hello, Paul. It's wonderful to hear from you. This is what I have on your great-grandfather RHR, mostly thanks to Jenn, above, who sent me a link to Australian newspapers (thanks again, Jenn!).
Raymond Hamilton Roope, b. 1857, married Constance King. The Mercury (Hobart,... Tuesday 1 January 1884, page 4. Family Notices ROOPE-KING.-On "October 26, at the Cathedral, Colombo, Raymond  Hamilton Roope, Nanuoya, Ceylon, third son of the late Lavington Roope, Esq., Tasmania, to Constance Ada, youngest daughter of the late. William Cutfield King, Esq , Taranaki, New Zealand.” Captain WCK was  killed during the native wars in Taranaki Captain William Cutfield King First Taranaki War (shot, Woodleigh estate, Henui, New Plymouth February 8, 1861) (Taranaki Herald, Taranaki, New Zealand).
Children Lavington Roope, Julian Roope (b. 1884) and Wellington Roope.
Died in Siam (Thailand) 1887. This info is from family records, and may not be accurate. Which son are you descended from?
Do you know anything about RHR's siblings, particularly Charles H. and Mary?
My great-great-grandmother was a Roope from Dartmouth Devon. I have loads of info about the family and their involvement in the wine trade with Portugal, as Hunt, Roope & Co.
I'm new to this group; what's the best way of sharing this with you?
Hilary

Researching:
In Devon: Blackburn, Brooking, Roope
In Yorkshire, and Somerset: Elwell
In Cheshire and Somerset: Willmott
Dumfries and London: Reid
Suffolk & Norfolk: Kerrich
In Westmorland: Bellas
In Kincardineshire: Anderson, Brown

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 August 09 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello  there paulnicclark,
Welcome to rrotshcat  hope  you  find us all friendly and helpfull.

Hi Hilary

the best way  to share information  privately  is to  contact by  private message, but a person has to have posted three times before  this access can be gained,

on  the left of the screen as you  look at it  you  will see  a couple of symbols one is a face  that is your profile information  and the other is a scroll  that is what you click for sending pm's private message

hope  you  can follow what I  mean

kind thoughts Jenn

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline paulnicclark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 August 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary,

As per the moderator's note, we have to post 3 times before we can post privately. I have only signed up yesterday, I was just Googling J Lavington Roope to kill some time when your post came up.

I have managed to get back a few generations so far.  I am keen to understand the relationship between Roope Harris (who apparently adopted the Roope surname) and Cabell Roope, when he inherited Greenway House. I assume he is some kind of relative.

I haven't been able to find out when Lavington arrived in Tasmania ( or Van Dieman's Land as it was known back then).  There was a convict by the name of Roope brought out around that time, but I haven't found anything to link him to Lavington as a close relative.

I'll post some more information over the weekend. Where are you based - UK, NZ, Australia or somewhere else?

Regards, Paul
Roope family tree, originally from Dittisham area in Devon, UK.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 August 09 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul...Jen isn't a moderator.  We all try to help one another on this public forum.

I suggest you browse the Tasmanian resources at the top of the board.  You can access William ROOPE's convict record with links to the original register entries. May give you more information.  This William, after gaining his freedom, settled in Geelong. Vic - his name appears frequently in Government Gazettes.

I have sent Hilary all I can find on the ROOPE name in Aus [bdm's, electoral rolls listings etc]or given her links etc.

Cheers
Cando

Offline richardsonh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 August 09 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hello all. Thanks for all the help.

A special thanks to you, Cando, for all the information you have sent me in your 2 pms today. I really appreciate it.

I have pm'd Paul, so should soon be exchanging information with him. Thanks Jenn for telling me how.

I doubt that Lavington Roope was a convict. He emigrated to Tasmania as a young man and seems to have been a prosperous businessman. He also was granted a gold mining license. At the age of 25 he married Lydia Tidmarsh Carter, the daughter of Hobart's first Lord Mayor William Carter. LR owned a huge property in New Town Hobart 7008 Tasmania called Wendover (called Risdon Park when he and family lived there). Roope Street in New Town, Hobart 7008 is named after him. 

Many thanks to everyone who helped me find out all this information, and much much more.

Hilary, from Ontario, Canada.

Researching:
In Devon: Blackburn, Brooking, Roope
In Yorkshire, and Somerset: Elwell
In Cheshire and Somerset: Willmott
Dumfries and London: Reid
Suffolk & Norfolk: Kerrich
In Westmorland: Bellas
In Kincardineshire: Anderson, Brown

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 August 09 00:49 BST (UK) »
A few more bits -

Hilary you mentioned your interest in Charles Hunt ROOPE who died at Hay in 1886.  There is a  record held by the Society of Australian Genealogists, 120 Kent Street, Sydney.

ROOPE  Charles Hunt, at Hay, buried on 22 April 1886.  Their source is Cemetery Transcript Unspecified and reference is B7/11/125 P175.

You can purchase this online for AUD $7.50
http://www.rootschat.com/links/06zi/
Click on     AGCI Record Retrieval

Hopefully this is an informative headstone MI which may give you more information on Charles Hunt. 

I wasn't inferring that Lavington was a convict ;D  The convict was William ROOPE.  Most of us would love some "Australian Royalty" in our family tree ;D ;D :P

Good luck
Cando