Author Topic: Alexander Kingaby, Lotti Huber, Norman Huber,  (Read 8392 times)

Offline LAS1015

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Kingaby, Lotti Huber, Norman Huber,
« on: Monday 24 August 09 23:53 BST (UK) »
Alexander (Alec) Kingaby, (former British Officer) - one time proprietor of Astoria Hotel Nicosia in mid-late 1940's along with his wife at the time German born, Charlotte Goldmann (1912-1998).  They were divorced and Charlotte, (Lotti) married Norman Huber 1910-1971, (former British Officer).

Lotti Huber found fame as an Actress.

Any information about these people and particularly their life in Cyprus would be most welcome!

Many thanks.

LAS1015

Offline rivkah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Kingaby, Lotti Huber, Norman Huber,
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 December 11 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  I am related to these people and would be very interested to hear from you and share information!

rivkah

Offline LAS1015

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 December 11 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello ... Thank you so much for making contact. 

My interest in these folk really stems from the time they spent in Cyprus (around 1949ish) when  Alexander and Lottie were friends with a James (Jimmy) Carter .  I'm seeking any info. old photos (anything at all really) that can point me in the direction of their friend James Carter ... he just seemed to 'vanish' without a trace.  James Carter is such a huge brick wall for me so any crumb of information would be so very welcome.

Very best wishes

LAS1015

Offline rivkah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 December 11 12:08 GMT (UK) »
his second wife.  I met her only once at a big family gathering (a very impressive lady) 

If you could tell me anything more about Jimmy Carter - was he an American?  was he an officer?  what was his rank and his military corps?   I am sure that i can find out a lot more about him.    I have some photos with people whom i cannot identify at present (from the 1940s onwards).  I shall dig them out and put them on the 'net eventually.

Finally, as i am sure you'll already know, things went very badly wrong politically-speaking in Cyprus during the post war years and a lot of people from other countries living there either "disappeared" or got kicked out and went to other countries where they had relatives/friends.    I have heard stories (from Pat) of some terrible goings on with the military waving guns around at the hotel.  They left Cyprus circa the ?1960s or before.

Well, sorry I cannot tell you more at present - but being retired, I do have the time to do some research, so if you can supply me with any info. about Jimmy Carter at all i shall see what i can do.

There are a lot of these televised family history programs nowadays and it would be good if we could get them interested and they could do the research for us!!   It can be very costly and time-consuming - needing experts to help.   

I speak some Greek if you have any documentation in that language - I might be able to find out more?

kind regards!   Rivkah - (and Seasons Greetings of course!)

Offline LAS1015

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 December 11 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Goodness me!  Thank you for all of this - I'll have to print it off so I can 'take it all in' so to speak.

The following is the only information I have concerning James Carter, so I hope that perhaps something here may 'ring a bell or two' with your brother or sister - indeed any additional information would be a giant leap forward ... Thank you (in advance), for taking the time to read all of this.

Name:  James Carter

Born:  c. 1916

Nationality:  American ... (although it is said that he didn't have an American accent!!!)  He came across as someone who was English 'public school' educated'

Residence:  Philadelphia, PA.

Occupation:  Restaurant proprietor.  He claimed his parents owned a restaurant in Philadelphia.

Described as being:  6ft tall; dark hair; brown eyes, slim (said to look a bit like James Mason!)

He could speak Greek.

He had his sister travelling with him at the time - they were both 'good looking', both musical - his
sister sang and Jimmy played the piano.  Both were said to be 'well educated'

Jimmy said he was 'associated' with the hotel and seemed to adopt a 'Master of Ceremonies' role.

Jimmy was friends with the lawyer Andrea Hadrianou, and he was also a friend to John Christophides, (at the time financial secretary to Archbishop Makarios (bishop of Kition in 1948 and Archbishop of Cyprus in 1950). 

Jimmy seems to have completely disappeared off the radar in late 1949.

I'm afraid that to date, this is all the information I have concerning James Carter ... not much, I know, so any light, (at all), any crumb of new information that could be found would be so very welcome!!!!

Yours most sincerely,
Season's Greetings,
LAS1015 (aka Lesley)

Offline rivkah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 December 11 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley!   Just a very quick message to say thanks very much for the info.

Gosh!  How interesting!!

I just might be able to find quite a bit more about Jimmy - I shall certainly try my best - i like an interesting piece of research to do.

The fact that he was a musician should be of great help too.

I did some more research about my stepgrandmother number 2 - Charlotte Goldmann - then Kingaby - then Huber - what an amazing woman - i so regret that i did not get to know her properly - she wrote some books as well as being a famous actress/singer/dancer - they seem to be mostly in German.  Fortunately my husband speaks fluent German so I shall try and track down her books and see what I can find there.

Kindest regards for now!   Rivkah

Offline LAS1015

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 December 11 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rivkah ... Thank you so very much for your reply.  It would be absolutely wonderful if you were able to find out a nugget or two about the elusive Jimmy!  Bless you!
Many thanks - I just wish I had something further to give you to go on, but sadly there is nothing else.
Very best wishes,
Lesley

Offline LAS1015

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 December 11 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rivkah,

I'm in contact with someone who has a family connection with Jimmy Carter ... he is most interested in your information (and has quite a lot of his own) he would dearly love to pool his resources and share them with you. 
He has given me permission to pass on his email address to you which I have sent as a private message to you ... I do hope you dont mind - he was most excited when I told him about our messages to eachother.

Very best wishes,
Lesley

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 December 11 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley

just to point out that it's not advisable to post email addresses on the site, otherwise you risk spam.

You should remove your email address and send a PM to Rivkah, which you can do by clicking on the green scroll underneath her name, and then you can give her the personal details required.

Your search sounds really interesting, very good luck with it!
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex