Author Topic: Rachel Woolman  (Read 1501 times)

Offline think1124

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rachel Woolman
« on: Tuesday 25 August 09 00:21 BST (UK) »
Rachel (nee Ruben) arrived in England with her parents from Russia.  In the 1881 English census she is shown as 19 years old. They were living at 7 Bell Street in Leeds, Yorkshire in this census.

Later she married a "Woolman" and they had five children. Edith was born in 1885, Charles in 1884, Annie in 1887, Dora in 1890, and Freda in 1898.

Apparently her husband passed away after Freda was born. Rachel then married a Simon Finsberg. In the 1901 census, her children by Woolman, are listed as Step Children of Simon Finsberg.

I would appreciate help in finding the given name of Mr. Woolman, his birth date, and the date of their marriage. His parents would be a gold mine.

I am need of your help

Clifton Woolman

Offline cjl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel Woolman
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 08:45 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Clifton,

I have had a look for a possible marriage for Rachel and found the following:

Rachel Reubin    Married Oct-Nov-Dec 1881  Leeds   Volume 9b   Page 656

Usually each page contains the names of two females and two males ie two marriages, but in this case there are two female names and only one male name and wouldn't you know it the male surname is not Woolman.  I have tried searching for a marriage in 1881 surname Woolman but have not had any luck.

You could take a chance that this is your Rachel and order a copy of the marriage certificate, which you can do online at www.gro.gov.uk  The copy will cost you £7.00

You could specify at the time of ordering that you only want the certificate if the grooms surname is Woolman and if it isn't they will only charge you a £3.00 search fee, instead of the whole £7.00

I also managed to find the following two birth registrations, so you might want to order a copy of one of the birth certificates instead, which should have the fathers name recorded on it.

Annie Woolman   Birth registered  1886   Jul-Aug-Sept    Leeds    Volume 9b  Page 468

Dora Woolman    Birth registered  1889   Oct-Nov-Dec     Leeds    Volume 9d  Page 434

I didn't manage to find the registrations of the other children's births though.

I hope that this information is of some help.

Best Wishes
CJL
Redshaw -  Yorkshire.
 Ireland - East Yorkshire,
Slater - East Yorkshire,
Petts - Yorkshire, Derbyshire,
 Hughes - Yorkshire, Staffordshire,
Blackham - Derbyshire, Staffordshire,
Mason - Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Huntingdonshire
Leach - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Driver - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Ambler - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Drake -  Thornton, West Yorkshire
Holland - Staffordshire, Durham
Owen - Staffordshire, Gloucestershire

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 09:01 BST (UK) »
Rachel Reubins married Frank Jacobs 1881 Leeds
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 09:03 BST (UK) »
Racel Reubins
Frank Jacobs
1881 Leeds Registration Office

Sorry about the duplicate seem to be having problems with the laptop
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline think1124

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 19:36 BST (UK) »
Isobelruss - Did you mean that Rachel Ruben married Frank Jacob Woolman in 1881 in Leeds?

Clifton

Offline cjl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 20:19 BST (UK) »
Clifton,

Sorry to butt in but I thought I would reply seeing as Isobel is not online.

Isobel is saying that for the 1881 marriage in Leeds the Rachel Reubin listed married Frank Jacobs, not someone named Woolman.

I think if you wanted to find out the first name of your Rachel's husband it might be a safer bet to order one of the childrens birth certificates.

Best Wishes
CJL

Redshaw -  Yorkshire.
 Ireland - East Yorkshire,
Slater - East Yorkshire,
Petts - Yorkshire, Derbyshire,
 Hughes - Yorkshire, Staffordshire,
Blackham - Derbyshire, Staffordshire,
Mason - Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Huntingdonshire
Leach - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Driver - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Ambler - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Drake -  Thornton, West Yorkshire
Holland - Staffordshire, Durham
Owen - Staffordshire, Gloucestershire

Offline Judysimons45

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 January 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Clifton, I have only just caught up with this query. Rachel Woolman's husband was Myer Woolman, who was brother to my great grandfather, Mark (Mordecai) Woolman. Their 5 children are as you describe. Mark came to Leeds in 1886 with his wife Fanny, sister Sophia, daughter Annie (my grandmother aged 3) and mother, Sarah Rachael Woolman. The family originated from Sereijai, a small town in Lithuania. After Myer's death, Mark moved first to Manchester and then to Sheffield where he lived until his death in 1924. Sophia married Morris Newman, also from Sereijai,  in Sheffield and brought up her family there. The mother of Myer, Mark and Sophia, Sarah Rachael, is buried in the Jewish cemetery at Ecclesfield - her stone is still standing. If you discover any further information about Myer, such as the date he arrived in  Leeds, his d.o.b. Etc, I'd be most grateful. Thanks. Judy