Author Topic: haycock family arriving in manitoba 1909  (Read 3755 times)

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
haycock family arriving in manitoba 1909
« on: Tuesday 25 August 09 02:32 BST (UK) »
Im trying to see if i can find a passenger list, and maybe a ship image or other details, of some distant cousins(i think they would be my 4th cousins)...
 who emigrated to manitoba in 1909, names I know are, annie elizabeth haycock born 1881 (formerly Vincent) and Thomas Joseph Haycock, born 1904, at least one, maybe more of there children where with them, the child I know was with them (as she was born here) is elsie may haycock born 1904
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: haycock family arriving in manitoba 1909
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 03:21 BST (UK) »
I believe I found the family on the Canada which arrived in Halifax on 15 Mar 1907. Here's a link to the passenger list at Library and Archives Canada (top of the page):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e148/e003699205.jpg
I think the name listed for Annie is some strange form of Mrs.

I found the family in MacDonald District, Manitoba on the 1911 census. Here's a link to the image at LAC (starting on line 1):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/pdf/e001947850.pdf

I've also found the family on the 1916 census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta in Carman, MacDonald District, Manitoba as follows:

Thos J Haycock, head, 44, born England, soldier
Annie E Haycock, wife, 35, born England 
Elsie M Haycock, daughter, 12, born England 
Thos V Haycock, son, 10, born England 
Annie E Haycock, daughter, 8, born Manitoba 
Mary E Haycock, daughter, 7 months, born Manitoba

Here is a link to the Manitoba Vital Statistics genealogy database:
http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php
I noticed a birth for Annie Evelyn Haycock listed as well as a marriage for Elsie May Haycock and a death for Ann Elizabeth Haycock.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 03:37 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to the WWI Attestation Papers for Thomas Joseph Haycock at LAC:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/06yk/
If you wish to order a copy of the file there are instructions at that link. The cost depends on how many pages are in the file.

I found a death for Thomas Vincent Haycock, 59, who died 11 Mar 1965 in Vancouver, British Columbia in the BC Archives death index. There are people here at RC who do BC look-ups who may be able to get a copy of the registration for you.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 03:59 BST (UK) »
I found a couple of death notices in the Winnipeg Free Press for the family. If you PM me your email address I can send them to you.

Jacquie

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 15:09 BST (UK) »
oh thank you all so much!, ive been looking for days to try and find those details LOL (I did find a few hints that halifax could have been there entry point but i wasnt sure) I know the family later settled in a place called Carman, Manitoba, NS

Thank you all so much!
heads off to have a look at them all!
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 15:50 BST (UK) »
do we know the name... of the ship itself?(id loce to see if I can find an image of it)
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
do we know the name... of the ship itself?(id loce to see if I can find an image of it)

The name of the ship was the Canada. It was a ship belonging to the Dominion Line. It was built in 1896 and was broken up in 1926. I found this picture of it at The Ships List website:
http://www.theshipslist.com/pictures/canada1896.htm
I also found this site with images of the Canada and the Cambromon. It also had undated advertising regarding second class accommodation to sail to Canada. Prices started at £8 per adult.
http://www.timetableimages.com/maritime/images/dom03i.htm

Manitoba and Nova Scotia are two different provinces. Nova Scotia is on the east coast while Manitoba is "The Gateway to the West". Here's a link to a Wikipedia article about Carman:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carman,_Manitoba

Jacquie

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 01:09 BST (UK) »
Damn your good! and yup all the links youve given me are the right people, Im so glad to "see" the ship... it kinda makes the journey, and the actual peoples "story".. more real if that makes sense to actually see it

The only thing was that the journey was 1907 and not 1909... but yes it is correct as all the details are... so ive let my "new relative" know of it

I just wanna find out everything now LOLOLOLOL

Thank you so much Jacqui...
and ty, I thought(i dont know too much of Canada) that Manitoba was part of Nova Scotia, so thank you for telling me:)
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 August 09 00:43 BST (UK) »
I was just wondering Jacqui... is there anyway I can find what date they actually left... England ? what date the ship left England?
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon