Author Topic: help plz....search for Charles Rufus Marshall Workman!!!  (Read 13715 times)

Offline Caro W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help plz....search for Charles Rufus Marshall Workman!!!
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 May 11 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Lourdes. This is my first go at sending a photo to Rootschat: fingers crossed! I think I've sent you a photo of Charles as a boy, and also a pic of his father. Hope they arrive OK.

In 1915, according to Arthur Grimble in A Pattern of Islands, Charles was District Officer on an island called Tarawa. By the end of the year he was Administrator of Nauru.

I believe he was Resident Commissioner in the Solomon Islands in 1919-21, and he then spent 10 years in Gambia in Africa. He retired to England, and died in about 1942. Some of the things he brought back from the Pacific were donated to the British Museum after he died.

I can't add anything more about his daughter I'm afraid - other people have already posted the details of what I know, here on this website! She moved to Canada after her marriage, I believe, and I don't know if she kept in touch with cousins etc. I've never seen a photo of her as an adult. Her mother was my great-grandfather's sister - so it's interesting that there's so little information. Maybe all the photos etc went to other relatives?

I hope this helps to fill in a few gaps. Please let me know if I can help in any other way - there are other photos but I'd have to dig them out, will have a look if you're interested. Do you live in Kiribati?

Offline Famkiri

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 August 12 04:27 BST (UK) »
This is very interesting and attracting me a lot....I am one of the closest descendant  of Charles' Daugther...I completely agreed with what lourdes96 said and the phrase "We would like to know whom we are related to in blood and flesh if that is acceptable"....F.Y.I. I am one of the Grandkid of Charles' daugther....

cheers

Offline Giles Peace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 August 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Caro W and Famkiri,

Yes, I live here in Kiribati and wish that one day I'll be able to find and meet those related to me in flesh and blood!

fyi the late Resident Commissioner and leader of Nauru did not marry in Kiribati. However, he made 1 of the local girl pregnant and asked the French Priest to look after his child before he left Kiribati knowing that my great-great grandmother was pregnant!

They said that Mr. CRM Workman used to send the priest $$$ and baby's stuff after he left the Pacific (this is just the story).

Sorry I should have responded but unfortunately lost access to my Lourdes96 account.

Hope everyone is still interested to help find my root.

Thank you all for your time...really appreciate it.

Offline Giles Peace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 August 17 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Caro W and Famkiri,

Yes, I live here in Kiribati and wish that one day I'll be able to find and meet those related to me in flesh and blood!

fyi the late Resident Commissioner and leader of Nauru did not marry in Kiribati. However, he made 1 of the local girl pregnant and asked the French Priest to look after his child before he left Kiribati knowing that my great-great grandmother was pregnant!

They said that Mr. CRM Workman used to send the priest $$$ and baby's stuff after he left the Pacific (this is just the story).

Sorry I should have responded but unfortunately lost access to my Lourdes96 account.

Hope everyone is still interested to help find my root.

Thank you all for your time...really appreciate it.

Offline Giles Peace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 August 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
The picture of the late Charles Rufus Marshall Workman's father is amazing! He had the same face as my grandfather's.

I'lll take my grandpa's picture and post it very soon!

Offline Giles Peace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 06 August 17 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Lourdes. This is my first go at sending a photo to Rootschat: fingers crossed! I think I've sent you a photo of Charles as a boy, and also a pic of his father. Hope they arrive OK.

In 1915, according to Arthur Grimble in A Pattern of Islands, Charles was District Officer on an island called Tarawa. By the end of the year he was Administrator of Nauru.

I believe he was Resident Commissioner in the Solomon Islands in 1919-21, and he then spent 10 years in Gambia in Africa. He retired to England, and died in about 1942. Some of the things he brought back from the Pacific were donated to the British Museum after he died.

I can't add anything more about his daughter I'm afraid - other people have already posted the details of what I know, here on this website! She moved to Canada after her marriage, I believe, and I don't know if she kept in touch with cousins etc. I've never seen a photo of her as an adult. Her mother was my great-grandfather's sister - so it's interesting that there's so little information. Maybe all the photos etc went to other relatives?

I hope this helps to fill in a few gaps. Please let me know if I can help in any other way - there are other photos but I'd have to dig them out, will have a look if you're interested. Do you live in Kiribati?

Thank you very much Caro for the photos...I got them and it's amazing Charle' s father looked very much like my grandfather whom everyone called him an 'halfcast' lol.

My apologies I should have responded but unfortunately I lost access to my Lourdes96 account and the internet connectivity back in 2012 was unreliable.

These days we can access our emails and browse the internet anytime!

I hope you still can access this account of yours.

Giles Peace same as Lourdes96

Offline Giles Peace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 06 August 17 11:31 BST (UK) »

His death is Given in Who Was Who in 1942. It was also reported in an Australian Newspaper in 1942. Sidney Morning Hearald Monday 6th July 1942

Hi,

This is the right ancestor I'm searching for information about his families in England or anywhere in the world!

Just very curious to know who they are, do they look the same as us in terms of appearance cos most of my uncles, aunties and cousins are fair!

Hope you can help me find them please.

NAURU LEADER DEAD

LONDON. July 5 (A.A.P.).-Mr. Charles Rufus Marshall Workman' has died. He was in charge of the Aus- tralian expedition which took posses- sion of Nauru in 1914, and became Administrator of the island at that time. He was Resident Commissioner in the Solomon Islands for some time from 1917.

The only likely English death record is as follows: (No guarantee it is him)

Charles R M Workman
Death Registration Month/Year:    1942
Age at death (estimated):    65
Registration district:    Caistor
Inferred County:    Lincolnshire
Volume:    7a
Page:    1034

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 06 August 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
There is a probate entry in 1942 that matches the death registration:

Charles Rufus Marshall Workman of Owmby Mount, Owmby, Grasby, Lincolnshire;  died 28 June 1942.
Probate granted to Elizabeth Florence Waring Wintringham, spinster. Effects  £854 1s 7d.

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Giles Peace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 06 August 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
There is a probate entry in 1942 that matches the death registration:

Charles Rufus Marshall Workman of Owmby Mount, Owmby, Grasby, Lincolnshire;  died 28 June 1942.
Probate granted to Elizabeth Florence
Waring Wintringham, spinster. Effects  £854 1s 7d.

Thank you Nanny Jan for this information.

The Charles Rufus Marshall Workman I'm looking for is the one mentioned by Caro W!

I'm wondering if he's survived with children and I will not rest until I find them!

Thank you again.