Author Topic: help plz....search for Charles Rufus Marshall Workman!!!  (Read 13772 times)

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: help plz....search for Charles Rufus Marshall Workman!!!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 September 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
as these dates ive just found, ive deleted on here and pm Lourdes
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 September 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
Very interesting account of his wife's family and his marriage, if this is the right chap...

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/grimsby-telegraph/mi_8063/is_20080626/all-good-things-must-end/ai_n48200551/

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 September 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
Another mention in the Solicitiors Journal 1942

Mr. Charles Rufus Marshall Workman, CBE, died on Sunday, 28th June, aged sixty-five. He was educated at Leys School and Christ Church, Oxford, and was called by the Inner Temple in 1899. He then joined the Colonial Service.................

Its in Google Books, but that is all I can see on snippet view. Perhaps someone who has access to the journal could paste the rest?

This is a most interesting post!

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 08:56 BST (UK) »

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
C.R.M.W. married Kate Wintringham in 1900 - anyone got a death date for her? Did he marry a second time? Have I missed something? Who was the mother of the child raised by the priest? PM

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 14:53 BST (UK) »
C.R.M.W. married Kate Wintringham in 1900 - anyone got a death date for her? Did he marry a second time? Have I missed something? Who was the mother of the child raised by the priest? PM

Kate & CRMW had a daughter Katharine Mary Wintringham Workman who married Benjamin c Widdowson who was a  cof e clergyman, they had a son who was born in 1933, so i personal messaged Lourdes with his name.

still looking for kate seniors death

Offline lourdes96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 October 10 01:52 BST (UK) »
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND ASSISTANCE,

It is very interesting to know that Mr CRM Workman had a daughter and grand-daughter! All I heard about (story being passed down) was that Mr Workman asked the priest for his baby to be born to keep it safe for he did not have a son and he will surely come back for it! These words were never came true for Mr Workman never came back or maybe because he learned from the priest that his baby was a girl...who knows???...he might have his own reasons but thanks to him that we are now existed in this world with many of us (in the family) having a fair skin color and most of all that we are now Catholics (Christians) which was his dream! (He did not want his baby to be raised by her grandparents who were missionaries of the protestant church) and that was why we became strong Catholics.

Offline Caro W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 May 11 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Lourdes. I'm not a direct descendant of Charles Workman, but his sister was my great-grandmother. If you want to know more about him in the Pacific, see if you can get hold of an old book called A Pattern of Islands by Arthur Grimble, who was a very young colonial officer when Charles had a senior post in the Gilbert & Ellice Islands before WW1. There are cheap 2nd-hand copies available on Abebooks. There are several vivid stories about Charles - he was a highly educated and very charming man, but sometimes dangerous to know!

I'm sorry to hear how badly he behaved in relation to your great-grandma. Did he at least help to support her? Where was she born?

I don't know any more about his daughter beyond what's already been posted here, I'm afraid. I do have a photo of her with her mother, as a child, and could post that if you're interested.

BTW, I don't think Charles Workman's parents were missionaries - his father was a lawyer, I think. But they may have had strong religious beliefs.

Offline lourdes96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 01:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Caro,

I think I may have some unclear phrases in my post about Charles Rufus Marshall Workman. I meant to say that the daughter of Mr Charles Workman who was my great-grandma was the grand-daughter of the Protestant missionary couples from her mother's side.... I did not know about her grandparents from her father but thanks to you that I have some ideas about them now. Also, the priest I was talking about was a French priest called Fr Corbrett (locally called Fr Ukenio) who was a close friend to Charles when he was on the island of Beru here in the Gilberts Islands. This was the priest who became a center of communication between Charles (when he was abroad) and his baby daughter who was left in the care of her mother on the island of Beru. 

It was told that Fr Corbrett used to visit my great-grandma and with him always he brought money, clothes and other baby stuff who he claimed to have come from Mr Charles Rufus Marshall Workman. Thus, Mr Workman did support my great-grandmother when she was a baby girl until there were no more words from him. Please note that in those days, there were a lot of troubles in relation with communication...there were only one sailing boat to come to Kiribati every 2-3 months or even longer in a year!!!

We have no idea how Mr Workman left the Pacific when the World War I broke...how he died and so forth. This is only matter for us to know more about him....this is all we want to know especially if he had children. We would like to know whom we are related to in blood and flesh if that is acceptable.

Well, there is much more to say about Mr Charles Rufus Marshall Workman...how he met the mother of my great-grandmother etc.....how he had descended a well known family here in Kiribati (Gilbert group of Islands)

As you said, if you still have a photo of Charles, please send it to my email...I really appreciate having it. Maybe we could not have him as a real great-granddad but a photo would fill in that empty space in our family.

Thank you and I hope to hear from you as soon as possible Caro.