Author Topic: help plz....search for Charles Rufus Marshall Workman!!!  (Read 13714 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: help plz....search for Charles Rufus Marshall Workman!!!
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 06 August 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
A copy of his Will might help; cost is £10 and are usually emailed within 10 days. Details of how to order here:

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 06 August 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
If you want to get his death cert,which might name a family member you can apply online for £9-25 to https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Deaths Jun 1942 

WORKMAN    Charles R M   age  65   in Caistor   volume  7a     page  1034
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Giles Peace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 06 August 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
If you want to get his death cert,which might name a family member you can apply online for £9-25 to https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Deaths Jun 1942 

WORKMAN    Charles R M   age  65   in Caistor   volume  7a     page  1034

Thanks Carol8353,

My ancestor Charles Rufus Marshall Workman died in July 1942 aged 65.

I believe he was survived with children whom I'm looking for this time. I'm not after his possessions but very interested to find out about those I'm related to by blood!

Thanks for your advice.

Offline Giles Peace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 06 August 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
A copy of his Will might help; cost is £10 and are usually emailed within 10 days. Details of how to order here:

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Thank you Nanny Jan.

Pleasant day.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 06 August 17 18:39 BST (UK) »
I believe he was survived with children whom I'm looking for this time.

You were given information about his daughter Katherine in reply #1 of this thread  :)

Your new thread about her here (just for information to other contributors to this thread  :) )
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=776505.msg6301895#msg6301895
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 06 August 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
Charles Rufus Marshall Workman of Owmby Mount, Owmby, Grasby, Lincolnshire;  died 28 June 1942.
Probate granted to Elizabeth Florence Waring Wintringham, spinster. Effects  £854 1s 7d.

The CRMW living at that address in 1939 was described as "Colonial Service (retired)"

Elizabeth WINTRINGHAM was also at that address, possibly with her father, a John WINTRINGHAM (solicitor). She became Mrs NEALE in 1943.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Giles Peace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 06 August 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
Charles Rufus Marshall Workman of Owmby Mount, Owmby, Grasby, Lincolnshire;  died 28 June 1942.
Probate granted to Elizabeth Florence Waring Wintringham, spinster. Effects  £854 1s 7d.

The CRMW living at that address in 1939 was described as "Colonial Service (retired)"

Elizabeth WINTRINGHAM was also at that address, possibly with her father, a John WINTRINGHAM (solicitor). She became Mrs NEALE in 1943.

Thanks Geoff-E

I'm not sure but I feel that the right death date of Charles Rufus Marshall Workman was 6th July 1942 as in the previous posts. Was there a possibility that death dates could be entered wrongly?

C.R.M.W. married Kate Wintringham in 1900 - anyone got a death date for her? Did he marry a second time? Have I missed something? Who was the mother of the child raised by the priest? PM

Hi Pastmagic,

Charles Rufus.Marshall Workman did not marry a second time. It was even forbidden to have an intimate relationship with the locals (brown or black people)!

However, he did ask the French Priest on the island to look after his unborn child before he left (that's what the priest claimed when he came to my great-granma's mother and grandparents to take her away)!

My great grandma was then looked after by this French Priest and nuns since she was just 5 years old! She was educated at the Catholic school along with the other white children!

They said that local children in those days were not allowed to attend school!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 06 August 17 21:48 BST (UK) »

Thanks Geoff-E

I'm not sure but I feel that the right date of Charles Rufus Marshall Workman was 6th July 1942 as in the previous posts. Was there a possibility that death dates could be entered wrongly?

Not unless the probate and newspaper announcement were wrong !!!!!!!!!!

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Giles Peace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 06 August 17 22:08 BST (UK) »

Thanks Geoff-E

I'm not sure but I feel that the right date of Charles Rufus Marshall Workman was 6th July 1942 as in the previous posts. Was there a possibility that death dates could be entered wrongly?

Not unless the probate and newspaper announcement were wrong !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Sandra.