Author Topic: RAF in India WW2  (Read 50858 times)

Offline richp1902

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF in India WW2
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 03 April 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have responded

My wife and I got the forms for getting the service records though we need to get a copy of her father's (James Notman) death certificate to prove he is dead so that we can get the full service records.

As I mentioned my wife's father died in 1980 when she was only 7 years old and her mother would never speak about his WW2 times and she has now passed away a year ago still refusing to speak about it.

The POW story may not be true as stories get 'enhanced' over time LOL :)

We do know for a fact that he was in India in September 1945 as he got married to Mary Lisiewich who we understand to be a polish nurse (not my mother in law) but James first wife.

My wife has a step brother who she thought was an uncle as she knew him when she was a child but found out within last 7 years his true identity but she does not know where he lives or even if he is alive. She would like to make contact with him as he would probably have lots of info about their father.

Offline Shippjoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was hoping some of you may be able to help.
I am trying to find some information on my granddad who served in 225 group during the war.

The information we have of him so far is:
Name: Donald Rushforth
enlisted July 1943 and entered service 15th Oct 1943
He demobbed 16th Nov 1947
He was a Wireless operator with Rank A.C.1
His service number was 3040930
I remember he once told me he parachuted and he seems to have been to Chaklala in India in Aug 1945 where he received his wings - but we don't know if he will have parachuted after this or not?
we also have some photos that seem to show a journey from Guwahati to Quetta in Febuary 1945 but we are unsure why. My mum seems to think he got malaria at some point? would this explain his journey?
We have a photo of him in Burma dated October 1945 also.
we have a photo of him in Mumbai but we are unsure when this was taken and why he was in Mumbai
We also have a photo of his in Iwakuni in Japan at christmas time 1946
He also seems to have had some friends called Paddy May, Paddy Bowan, Bill Price (from Halifax) and Kenneth Bains

As such that is all I know about him and know nothing about what he actually did in the war, why he did his parachute training or whether he ever used it in action. If anyone knows anything about what he is likely to have done during the war or why he turned up in the places we have photos of him that would be great.

Thank you in advance!

Joe

Offline Brian1949

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching family since 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe,
I can't tell you much but my fathers experience may help. My father, Jack Johnson, was also a wireless operator and he was with 215 Squadron stationed in India. He had some leave to get married in June 1945 but when he returned to India the squadron had moved and the war was over, so he was sent to Burma to help with the sending of British RAF personnel back to the UK.
He was based in Rangoon before returning to the UK in June 1946.
My dad was also ill, with yellow jaundice and was sent "into the hills" to recouperate. This was in the Darjeeling (I think)area of India.
Perhaps if you upload some of the photos someone may be able to recognise the people or places.
I hope this helps
Regards
Brian
Cook, Johnson, Elliott, Fenwick, Hall, Sarginson,
Brunton, Ward, Gilroy, Purdey, Pearson

Offline Shippjoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian thanks for your reply.

I've attached some photos of when he was in India (and I think one of Kure in Japan). Also he has a lot of photos of these boats which I'm not sure what they are or where this base is.

If anyone recognises any places or faces I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks
PS. had to upload photos separately due to file size

Offline Shippjoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 22:44 BST (UK) »
Additional photos

Offline Shippjoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
Additional photos

Offline Shippjoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 22:57 BST (UK) »
Additional photos

Offline Brian1949

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching family since 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe,
Some great photos, but none that I recognise. There is not a lot to go on except maybe the number on one of the boats 2705.
Have you applied for your grandfathers service records ? They do not contain a huge amount of information but at least tell you where and when he was posted. If you need details on how to do this let me know.
Going back to the photos - try looking at the photos on RAFB24.com it's a long shot but you might find something that ties up with your photos. I have posted my dad's photos there and have found quite a bit info from the site. Admittedly the site mainly deals with Liberator squadrons but you never know.
Do you know the squadron your grandfather was attached to - that can help in any search
Hope that helps
Regards
Brian
Cook, Johnson, Elliott, Fenwick, Hall, Sarginson,
Brunton, Ward, Gilroy, Purdey, Pearson

Offline Liverbird5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 07 June 14 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi guys not been on here lately. Sad news mum passed away 25 th May. . Funeral Wednesday 11 th june.