Author Topic: RAF in India WW2  (Read 50574 times)

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF in India WW2
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

You can get apply for your father's service records which will still be with the MOD, there is a charge of £30, you will find the necessary forms on the website.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline shaun262

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 07 January 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was a wireless operator on a Wellington and based in India too he also spent some time up in Scotland and all he has ever said is that on some flights they would trail a 100 foot length of cable behind them and they'd occasionally forget to reel it back in when landing causing it to whip across the landing strip, he either cannot because of the official secrets act or just doesn't talk about it, im guessing its something to do with radio or early radar...... Ive No idea, weve tried getting his official military records but to no avail. I would very much appreciate it if anyone knows anything about it as im at a complete dead end... His Name is John Spurling rank of (warrant officer).

Many thanks.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 07 January 18 17:37 GMT (UK) »
The 100 ft cable would be an HF (high frequency) radio antenna. This would enable the aircraft to communicate over very long distances. From the target area for a bomber, back to the headquarters base for example.

Added: welcome to rootschat shaun
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline shaun262

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 08 January 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks kindly..
I did think it was to do with comms but he doesn't ever speak about it, its just that generation I guess pluss hes 93, he says he cant remember his serial number or squadron but I find that a little hard to believe, I do have his Warrant officer wrist badge which does have some very faint writing on the back of it,  I'll be buying an eye loupe then...lol.

Much obliged.

Offline Charlotte1981

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 14 October 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, im hoping someone may be able to help me? I know absoultely nothing about my Granpa's role in India as he would never talk about it. He used to call himself a 'pen pusher' and i have a vague (possibly inaccurate) memory of him having something to do with codes? He was always very upset about  it so we never heard about or understood what he did, even my Grandma. His name was Geoffrey Cyril Butler, and possibly lived in the Doncaster area at the time. I haven't been able to find anything about him on the net so any info you have, or can point me to would be great! Thanks!

Offline JMB1943

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 26 October 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian1949,

What is the source of your map that shows the Allied airfields in India ?
Also, when would that have been dated ?

Regards,
JMB
Ballard/Hew/Mitchell/Mountcastle/Palmer/Spicer/White

Offline shelagh67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just found this forum and wonder if anyone can help. My dad and his brother were both in the RAF, my uncle was in the India Bomber command the only clue I have to this information  is a small  Christmas greetings paper dated November 1943 he sent this to dad from were he was stationed,  across the bottom in pencil the word APROLON has been added  dose anyone know what this means

Thank you
S

Offline Aaronxdavison

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 11 April 20 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone can offer an advice or direction on my query. I’m looking for more information regarding my great grandad who served in the RAF in India. I’m not sure in what kind of capacity. I’m really interested to know where he would have been based and what function he undertook. I’ve posted as much information as I have below. Any direction that can be provided would be appreciated.

Walter Greaves, was in India 1935-1938, not sure if he was there prior / post these dates, but would have been there during these periods. Married to Gwendoline Rose and had Derek Ian and Cynthia.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 11 April 20 22:49 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Aaron.

In reply #45 above you will see a link which will take you to the appropriate form and information about how to apply for your ggrandfather’s service record. You do not need to know his serial number - name plus date of birth is sufficient. A death certificate is also required if he is deceased.

The service record is the best way to find out dates and places.  :)

Good luck .