Author Topic: "He came out of the Berwyn Mountains"  (Read 4746 times)

Offline andrew__85

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"He came out of the Berwyn Mountains"
« on: Tuesday 25 August 09 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hello.

To cut a long story short, James Bird died in Bilston in 1834 aged 80, he was married in Wolverhampton in 1802/3.  It is difficult to know what he did for the first 49 years of his life; indeed I have never found a record which predates that marriage.

My grand father wrote that James could have come to bilston on the Military Road by coach, following a dispute perhaps, or to espace some trouble.  For some reason he had in his mind that the family were sheep farmers on the Berwyn Mountains.  In 1950 he looked up in a telephone directory, and found that Charles Bird lived at Plas Tanat, near Llanrhaeadr Ym Mochnant. 

My question for the readers of this Welsh board is this, what records exists which I can search for Bird families in this area, before or after (some must have stayed) 1800 and specifically around 1754.  I suspect no solid evidence will be obtained, and I shall go on to look for other places from where he could have travelled. But my grand father was not a man to jump to conclusions, as sure of the need for evidence as we are now.... but he didn't pass it on.

Best wishes, and thanks for any help,
Andrew Bird

Offline alicebob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: "He came out of the Berwyn Mountains"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 09 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Do you know his wifes name and the names of any of his children? ???
Seeing as how he died before the 1841 census, it is pretty hard to go backwards with no other names to work with.

Bob
Jones- Llangynhafal, Llandyrnog
Davies- Denbigh
Parry- Llanrhaiadr
Roberts- Llanrhaiadr

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 09 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Many of my ancestors danced around the Berwyns and have led me a merry dance - Merionethshire, Denbighshire and Montgomeryshire  ;D

The only Bird that I can find baptised around that time in Montgomeryshire is a John Bird bpt. 17 Feb 1760 in Betws Cedewain.

Parents - Notingam Bird and Margaret

Source - Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society:  http://home.freeuk.net/montgensoc/

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MGY/BetwsCedewain/index.html

I have some early records for Llanrhaeadr YM and will check them out tomorrow. 

Also, check out Beard.

There is/was a CD available called Montgomeryshire Families - can't remember the author at the moment. Agan, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 August 09 00:27 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***