Author Topic: Lloyds at Penlan Ucha, Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lloyds at Penlan Ucha, Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn
« on: Tuesday 25 August 09 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hello
Can anyone give me any extra information about this family whose names are contained in the will of Mary Lloyd of Penlan Ucha 1826 obtained from the NLW, with a few extra facts found by a variety of means.
John Lloyd b1744, bur 21.02.1823 from Penlan Ucha in Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn aged 79yrs married Mary b1746, bur 31.01.1826 from Penlan Ucha in Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn aged 80yrs.
Children of John and Mary:
William Lloyd b?
John Lloyd b?
David Lloyd b?
Margaret Lloyd b1793 Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn married Morgan Powell, a widower b1789 Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn on 02.02.1814 at Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn (IGI)
Elizabeth Lloyd wife of Lewis Griffith
Mary Lloyd married Henry Jones of Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn in Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn on 29.11.1805 (parish records)
Morgan Lloyd bap 02.08.1795 Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn buried 30.05.1832 from Llwynycogau in Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn (parish records)

I'm particularly interested in the sons William, John, David and Morgan.
There is also a Catherine Lloyd of Penlan Uchaf buried in Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn on 21st October 1824 aged 35yrs (parish records). Whether she is another daughter or a daughter-in-law I don't know.

Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline kerllan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyds at Penlan Ucha, Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 09 21:48 GMT (UK) »
There is a Margaret and Morgan Powell buried at Llanfihangel y Creuddyn.  She died on 26/9/1850 age 74 and he died on 29/7/1851.  They lived at Rhyd-domled.  The only Rhydomled I know of is situated a few miles outside Llan y Creuddyn in a little village called Trisant.  There is also a grave for their son also called Morgan who died on the 17/7/1846 age 26. Hope this helps.  I have Lloyds in my family tree but I haven't done enough research on them yet to be able to offer you any help!

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 09 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kerllan and welsome to Rootschat.
I am researching a family of Lloyds who came from Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn and thereabouts and so far have reached the Lloyds of Penlan Uchaf. Unfortunately they all seem to be agricultural labourers so didn't leave many traces behind them. In an attempt to get further information I have been compiling a list of Lloyds living in the area from parish records and a variety of other sources, and from this I am in the process of allocating the various people into families so that I can hopefully identify which of the many Lloyds belong in which family and therefore by elimination which might be my ancestors. So far I have more than 400 names from the 19th and late 18th century. Although I already had the Richard Lloyd you mentioned in your other post (and he is not the one I was looking for) the 2 Morgans and the Margaret were new to me. Did you get their names from monumental inscriptions which is a source I have not yet exploited? Perhaps when you start looking for the Lloyds in your tree I can help out.
Thanks again
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline kerllan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 09 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I got the info from the graveyard, my daughter goes to school next to Llanfihangel Church so it's quite handy for me.  I also had family living in Penlan around 1871 but they were Edwards'.
The Lloyds I have in my tree was my great grandmother, Elizabeth Ann Lloyd born about 1872. She lived with her auntie at Bancymor.  I think her parents were William Lloyd (born about 1848) a miner and Mary (nee Watkins).

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 November 09 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying - I didn't spot your post until today.
The Lloyds were at Penlan Uchaf until about 1829. After that there are Evanses in residence.
I have a record of a William and Mary Lloyd at Bancymor from the baptism of their son William in 1869 and his burial aged 10 months later that year, but at that time William is a blacksmith.