Author Topic: Norwich marriage 1837? Cohen Gant  (Read 5560 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Norwich marriage 1837? Cohen Gant
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 January 15 07:53 GMT (UK) »
You may already have these by now;

Looks like a mass Baptism for the Children;
04 November 1849, St Michael at Thorn, Norwich, Norfolk;

SARAH ELLEN
SAMUEL LOUIS
ANNIE, Birth 21 July 1842
LION, Birth 23 June 1845
HENRY, Birth 29 Sept 1847
ROSETTA, Birth 2 Nov 1848

Parents JOSEPH LOUIS and CHARLOTTE Cohen
Fathers Occp Type Printer
(Source FreeeREG)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline clc136a

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 January 15 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Gant is Charlotte's former name as reported on the children's birth certs - does this necessarily mean 'maiden name', might she have been previously married?
Note: I might have been the instigator of her being 'Susan Charlotte Gant' based somewhat on guesswork - I did hear from someone who believed Susan Gant was a different person - do you have evidence for her parish baptism or birth?
Regarding Joseph Lewis from London (my great great grandfather thru Leon and Joseph Leon)... I did find evidence of another Cohen family in Lambeth but not him. I also found record of a bookbinder in the 1841 census in Kings Lyn - note he was missing from the 1841 Norwich census with Charlotte and the first two children. I wonder if his Lambeth birth is really correct, or whether he came over from Holland, and there also seems to be a Paris connection with daughter Ellen...
Given he was a Jew and wife and children not, I even wonder if the marriage was really official...
I did find several newspaper appeals for charity after his death (1859), referring to his marriage of some 20 years.
Very interested if anyone can shed more light and kind regards,
Chris

Offline TrishBro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for information on my family history
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies.

I have traced Susan Charlotte Gant back to her village in Briston, she was 1 of 7 children and  her parents were William Gant born 16.11.1783 and Sarah Wells born 11.4.1781. Her grandfather was Joseph born 1754 and his father was Joseph born 1732.

I have Emmanuel Cohen's birth certificate ( he was my great, great grandfather), he was the 2nd child of Joseph Cohen and Charlotte Gant born  on 10th April 1841 in ST Michael of Thorn Norwich. As you say Joseph was absent on 1841 census in Norwich but there is a Joseph Cohen born 1816 in Whitechapel on the 1841 census in Rosemary Lane Whitechapel , head of the household was Abraham Cohen born 1796 and his wife Nuvell also living there was Ann Cohen born 1811 and Julia born 1821.

However I have difficulty in proving that they are Joseph's parents, I obtained the info from ancestry.com

Do you have any evidence that supports your thought that he may originate from Holland?

I am aware of Kate's link to Paris as she married Edward Kimpton on 5th July 1881 at the British Embassy in Paris but I had not drawn any conclusions from that.

Any info would be welcome.

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 January 15 18:40 GMT (UK) »
I have looked through the Briston parish registers, and couldn’t see any children baptised there with the surname Gant, or any variation, during the time frame we are looking at.

The couple mentioned as Susan/Charlotte’s parents (William Gant and SarahWells) married in Fakenham on the 27 November 1804, had several children baptised there, including a Susan (no mention of the name Charlotte) on 18 April 1816

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ehk/

This Susan Gant went on to marry a Henry Bugdell in 1834 at Fakenham.
They had children in Norfolk, then went on to live in Essex.

Also noticed that in later censuses, right up to 1891, Charlotte Cohen names her place of birth as Wood Norton, but as Chris says in earlier posts, there are no baptisms for Gants in either of those parishes.

I wondered whether the couple married after the children had been born, prompting the "mass" baptism that Trish found ..... but still haven't found a marriage.  :(

There is a very interesting newspaper entry from the Norfolk Chronicle, June 1859, which mentions that Joseph Cohen requested his wife to see that he was buried as a Jew. It's a rather sad piece, inferring that Joseph "having married a Christian woman" was then an outcast, but it appears he did get his wish and was buried in the Jewish cemetery (though the rabbi refused to perform the ceremony).  How sad.

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline clc136a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 January 15 19:07 GMT (UK) »
@Yorkslass: Yes, I looked yesterday, although the online baptism registers are not yet complete I couldn't find anything from Briston/Wood Norton - always a chance of awkward parentage I guess...
And yes, I have newspaper articles from time of death from cancer (probably printing inks) and regarding his wish to be buried as a Jew. Have searched immigration entries but again Jewish surnames not that reliable back then I think...
@tbrocklebank: Please can you confirm your source for Gant family?
Only from family hearsay I have it that the Cohen family was south of the river in London and indeed Leon onwards lived in Brixton and out into Surrey
Always good to get other pairs of eyes on things...

Offline TrishBro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for information on my family history
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 January 15 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Many thanks for all the info.

I was not aware of the newspaper article in the Norfolk Chronicle, which sounds very interesting. and could be the relative Joseph in question. Where can I find a copy?

The source of my information has been Charlotte Gant's birth record  which shows her parent as William Gant and Sarah and census records all of which I accessed via Ancestry.com. the Briston reference has come from one of the census's records. However I agree that all the Gant siblings are recorded as being born at Fakenham some 10 miles from Briston but that would have been the nearest town for registering births. Ancestry also comes up with a Susan  Gant who married Tom but the date of birth is different although there are several dates for our Susan/Charlotte Gant  .

These records link into the birth certificate I have for Emanuel Cohen who was the second child, which states mother Charlotte Cohen, formerly Gant and Joseph Lewis Cohen both of Buff Coat Lane Norwich. The Buff Coat was a Public House on the corner of Buff Coat Lane and Cattle Market Hill in Norwich until 1950's/1960s.

Emanuel lived and worked in the same area , Grouts Thoroughfare, Timber Hill, for the rest of his life and worked as a letter cutter, die sinker & stamper continuing in the printing industry. I have a copy of his business card.

My records for  Leon are that he was born  23 June 1845 lived in Norwich, Yorkshire and London, his death being recorded in Middlesex London. The various census records show his occupation as initially a moulder then a general dealer and finally as a package case dealer. In 1891 living at Eagle Street, Holborn London and 1911 as a widower at 11 Hoyle Street with his sons Joseph and Henry.

I would really like to know more about Joseph Lewis, where he came from and why he came to Norwich. However all info is good as it builds up a picture of the family.

Hopefully there is more to come.
Trish

Offline clc136a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 January 15 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I have uploaded the burial news article referred to. I have also found articles relating to him assisting conviction of a criminal, an appeal for charity and sale of house.

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/9162553/person/-842766629/media/1?pgnum=1&pg=32914&pgpl=pid%7cpgNum

Quote ...Charlotte Gant's birth record  which shows her parent as William Gant and Sarah... Trish please could you point us in this direction?