Author Topic: Alexander/Mcleish  (Read 17067 times)

Offline sarahlb1981

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander/Mcleish
« on: Thursday 27 August 09 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I was hoping someone might be able to help. I'm trying to find out any information about David Alexander born 1845 and died in 1927, married to Susan Mcleish in Angus I believe, I'd be very interested. Thanks very much.
Sarah

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander/Mcleish
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Welcome to Rootschat !

Do you already have all this?

The IGI has a marriage (extracted):
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true
Susan McLEISH and David ALEXANDER
24 Feb 1869, Kettins, Angus

And the birth (extracted) of a child to parents of those names:

William ALEXANDER
born 23 Dec 1869. Kingoldrum, Angus

The certificates for both these events can be downloaded for a fee  from Scotland's People:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

The marriage certificate should hopefully tell you the names of the mother and father of David and of Susan.

Do you already  have David & Susan on any Census' ?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline sarahlb1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 August 09 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi! Wow that was fast, I didn't expect a reply. I have an old family tree that my great great aunt had done Marie Alexander, I think she became Marie Field. Anyway, I'm really new to this so have no idea what I'm doing!! I'll follow your link. Have you got an interest in these families? If so, let me know, I might have some info that might help you x

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 August 09 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

You almost always be assured of a reply on Rootschat  ;D  ;D   How lucky you are to have a heirloom such as gt Aunt Marie left you - that'll get you off to a grand start!

Though I do have a strong Scottish ancestry, I have no connection to this family at all, sorry, I'm just another Roostchat groupie  ;D

If you don't have any Census records for the family, I can have a look for you - starting with the 1871 for David & Susan with son William?

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline sarahlb1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 August 09 14:24 BST (UK) »
I have been on the scottish people website and have got hold of the marriage certificate and found out that his Father was called Peter and mother margaret. I can hardly read it though. Thanks for your help. I'm trying to follow the Alexander's because my great grandfather started but stopped because he found out something terrible about a family member. Since then everyone has wondered what it is! Anyway I pnly started yesterday and now am totally addicted! x

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 August 09 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Very addictive - and it only gets more so better!   ;D

If it helps:  David - is his occupation is a Mole Catcher on the marriage? - according to the 1871 and 1881 Census was born in Bendochy Perthshire abt 1846.

In 1871 he is with what appears to be McLEISH family in-laws, in Kettins, Forfar while Susan  is with son William at her brother's  Alexander McLEISH in West Calder, West Lothian. In 1881, he and Susan and children are all together in Kettins

Are you able to make out mother Margaret's maiden name from the marriage cert?

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline sarahlb1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 August 09 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for helping me! Did you get the info about David and Susan being separated from the census? I think the maiden name says Finlay. I think I've found out that David's Father was Peter and his Father was John, but I have John's marriage certificate from October 1794 and it doesn't have parents info on and again, it's hard to read!! Can't believe David was a Mole catcher, how glamourous my family are! May thats why my great grandfather didn't go back any further, maybe he was embarrassed! :D

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 August 09 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hah!   ;D   I wonder if Gt-Grandad also found out BOTH sides of the family were Mole Catchers - I think Susan's brother Alexander was one aswell  - that might really have tipped the cart!   Still, I believe it was an important job on the estates, where the wee beasties could wreak havoc on the land. Hey, there was even a Guild of Molecatchers and it was a job often running in families, father to son:

Have a look at this fabulous website  - you've got a rich occupational culture in the tree - beats an Ag Lab any day for glamour
http://www.guildofbritishmolecatchers.co.uk/molecatchers.htm

Yes, the info I quoted is from the Census.
And in 1851, David is with his parents and his mother is down under her maiden name, FINLAY - this was quite common to see in Scottish Census, as a woman's maiden name retained it's 'value' in a way quite unlike the English. Widows in Scotland often reverted to their maiden name, and their death/burial records will invariably be under both maiden & married name.

In 1871, David & Susan are in different locations - but each appears to be with members of her family. I wouldn't say they are separated as in marriage, just location  - perhaps Susan is simply visiting her brother in the Lothians.

You can get the Census from SP too but it can be an expensive excercise!  I'd recommend finding the census first from an alternate source which will give you a more sure leads into the image records in Scotland's People and invariably save you many pennies.

To have the fun of searching Census yourself, this well known & popular site usually offers a free trial period - but read all instructions carefully, so you know what's what - they'll ask for your card number at get go, and will charge you if you don't cancel before the free trial is up.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/06z5/

Alternatively, many public library's  have a free edition of that site which you can access via the computers in the Library.

Other than that, Rootschatters will be happy to look for and transcribe Census for you - though ultimately the actual image from SP is, I think, best in long run.

You might be able to find some Census for free here, usually 1841 and sometimes 1851 (good Scotland coverage)
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Civil Registration in Scotland didn't start until 1855, some 18 years later than England. Prior to 1855 you'll be lucky indeed to find any mention of parents on the old parish marriage records (not certificates). Reccomend a read the SP Help & FAQ section - very informative.

The IGI has very good coverage for Scotland - but NOT every birth or marriage is on there. Have you found Peter's death certificate after 1855, to establish his parents names (father John). 

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline sarahlb1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 August 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
I will check out the death certificate, although I only have 3 credits left! Oh well, I'm more or less finding my way around the SP sight now, next time I'll know how to save some pennies! You are right though, this could become an expensive hobbie! I have a feeling that Peter's parents are John and Jane Fraser, and my mum mentioned that they had 8 children, apparently thats been written down somewhere. Do you know if there is a way I can find a list with mother, father and children? That might be another way of making sure who Peters parents are. Can't believe I'm descendant of Scottish Mole catchers! Brilliant  ;D.
Thanks again for all your help. I'll check out those other links