Author Topic: Spurr Family  (Read 6258 times)

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spurr Family
« on: Thursday 27 August 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
I am very keen to establish the origins of THOMAS SPURR who married twice in Whatton, Notts..... before moving to the Willingham/ Stow in Lindsey area of Lincs. On 9 March 1779 he married ANN GREEN (who died in 1784) and then on 1 December 1785 he married ELIZABETH WALKER. Elizabeth died in Stow in Lindsey in 1825, and Thomas in 1834) . Thomas was a farmer and would have been born c1760. Any clues or suggestions would be appreciated.
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spurr Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

I can only see one on the Notts FHS baptism CD that fits with your date.

Thomas Spurr 6.10.1755 to William & Catherine , North Clifton abode South Clifton.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 09 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol,
I'll follow that up.
Alan
Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 August 09 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Again Carol,

The info you provided is very helpful as that parish does not seem to be included in IGI records. I am really keen to be clearer which Thomas Spurr is which, as I know it is possible to go off adding people to an ancestral line - only to discover that one of the people is incorrect.

If you have time (!) it would be incredibly helpful to know if there are any other Thomas Spurrs in the timeframe of approximately 1740-1810. There is a Thomas Spurr's marriage in North Clifton in 1826, for example:

Tho Spurr & Mary Hinde                                       9 May 1826

I now know (from IGI records) that there is another Thomas Spurr born in East Bridgford at the time I am looking at. East Bridgford is much closer to Whatton, and logically he is more likely to be the person I am searching for, but it would be VERY helpful to establish if there are any other contenders.

Info about any other men with this name would be hugely appreciated!

Alan

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 August 09 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Here goes then

1740 - 1810 ish

Baptisms

Thomas Spur to Joseph & Elizabeth 13.5.1748 Farndon
Thomas Spurr to William & Catherine 6.10.1755 North Clifton
Thomas Spur to Joseph & Elizabeth 20.12. 1773 St Marys
Thomas Spur to Thomas 11.6.1781 Whatton , Farmer
Thomas Spurr to John Elizabeth 3.12.1781 St Marys
Thomas Spurr to Thomas 29.3.1782 North Clifton
Thomas Spurr to Charles & Elizabeth 28.8.1811 St Marys

Hope that helps. Do you want the marriages and burials for that time as well?

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 09 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
Wow, you're a helpful person to know - thanks ever so much. Great to have a specific date for 'my' Thomas (ie the IGI record just states 'about 1760' in Whatton). There is however a specific IGI date for a Thomas Spurr born in East Bridgford (christened) on 5 November 1757 which is the person I'd thought was born nearest to Whatton, until you gave me that date. So thanks a million - that's a huge help. Don't rely too much on IGI records is the moral of the story! If you really don't mind looking for marriage and death records as well they would be a big help, but I don't want to push my luck!
Best wishes,
Alan

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Engage brain before writing is another moral of the story! The 1757 Thomas (IGI/ East Bridgford) IS still the nearest and so the likelist father of the Thomas born in Whatton in 1781 it would seem. Seems strange, and a bit confusing,  that there is an IGI record for that but no record on the Notts FHS baptism CD! Rather confusing. Thanks again, Alan

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 09 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

No problem

The reason the East Bridgford baptisms isn't on the Notts FHS CD is because those years aren't covered.  East Bridgford baptisms are only from 1893 -1901.  The CD isn't complete and not all the parishes are covered yet, but its a ongoing project.

I will sort the marriages and burials out and get back to you.

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 August 09 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Marriages

Thomas Spur m Elizabeth Beecham 24.11.1759 at Balderton
Thomas Spur m Ann Cont 17.12.1776 at South Scarle
Thomas Spur m Ann Bean 9.3. 1779 at Whatton
Thomas Spurr m Mary Hawe 1.1.1783 at Balderton
Thomas Spurr m Elizabeth Walker 1.12.1785 at Whatton
Thomas Spur m Sarah Cammomile 4.12.1798 at Langford
Thomas Spur m Ann Maltby 8.1.1810 at South Scarle

Burials

Thomas Spurr buried 13.1.1793 St Marys
Thomas Spurr buried 20.5.1771 St Marys (son of Thomas)

Hope these fit in somewhere.

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon