Author Topic: George Beard 1846  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Parkybe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Beard 1846
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 November 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
From Worcester Guardian 06-06-1846
SUICIDE.— The following melancholy case of suicide occurred at Gloucester, on Saturday last:— Mr. George Beard, the landlord of the Star Inn, and a large boat- owner and coal- merchant, had been indulging too freely in liquor on Friday morning last, notwithstanding which he went to the Lower George Inn, to the anniversary dinner of the Druids, of which society he was a member. There he also drank freely, but went home about nine o'clock. He there became very quarrelsome, and went so far as to strike his wife, after which he left the house, swearing he would never enter it again. After having called at two or three places, at each of which he took " another glass," he got back to the Lower George, when the landlord, seeing the state lie was in, very kindly, and with a great deal of difficulty, induced him to go to bed, and afterwards went into his room to see that all was right, when he appeared to be very fast asleep. About ten o'clock on Saturday morning the landlord took up some coffee for him, when, to his great horror and astonishment, he found him fastened up to tho bedpost, and quite dead. He had tied a large scarf to the bedpost and round his neck, with what in bargemen's phrase is called a bowling knot, and had then apparently fallen forward from the bed, as his legs were quite doubled under him, and his elbow resting on the bed; but being a very heavy man, his great weight had drawn the knot up tight, and occasioned strangulation. No cause but drunkenness can be assigned for this melancholy circumstance, as he was in very good circumstances, and had a good business. We are sorry to add that a widow and six young children are left to deplore his untimely end. A coroner's inquest was held on the body on Saturday, when the Jury returned a verdict of " Temporary Insanity."

Offline Parkybe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Sea Bee 23.  It seems as if you are on the right track with John Beard.  I will have to get all this into some sort of order to make sense of it.  I have a copy of George Beard's will or letters of admin.  Elizabeth Brainsford was definitely his mother-in-law.  I have a copy of a picture of her - possibly a painting.  Do you have any details of what became of George and Mary's children?  I have Albert in Australia and Daniel going to New Zealand and possibly Charles going to India.  I know nothing of the girls.  And I notice there were 9 children born but only six living at the time of his death.
Plenty to keep the brain cells active.  Thank you.
Lyn

Offline SeaBee23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 November 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyn
Thanks a lot for the transcript from the Worcester Guardian. It is more detailed than the entry in the Gloucester Journal and adds to our knowledge of George. I didn't know he had boats even though his assumed father John Beard's will noted boats at Stourport.  I will try and track down a coroners report if it exists.
Sorry I can't add detail of Georges children at this point apart from George B I mentioned in my post above. I will have a think/search.
Do you have any further information on Albert and Daniel who travelled south? I wonder if immigration or vessel embarkation details still exist.
Looks like I am going to have to open the family history files again after a few years lay off.
All the best.
Chris