Author Topic: George Beard 1846  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George BEARD/Mary Ann CHESTERTON
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry:

Marriage at South Hamlet, 17 August 1830

George BEARD of the Parish of St Owen in the City of Gloucester, Bachelor, and Mary Ann CHESTERTON of the same Parish, Spinster, were married by Licence.

witnesses: Hester NICHOLLS and William PRICE  **

??

*** There is a William PRICE  aged 35 Chemist (not born in County)  with wife Eliza aged 20 on the 1841 Census St Owen Gloucestershire

-----

Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations etc.

16 August 1830

George BEARD, over 21, bachelor
Groom rank or profession: MARINER
Groom residence: St Owen in the city of Gloucester

Mary Ann CHESTERTON, aged 17
residence: St Owen
father: John CHESTERTON

He signs

Event type: Marriage allegation

Sworn before Arthur Benoni EVANS to marry in the Parish Church situate at the Spa near the city but in the County of Gloucester

John CHESTERTON signs consent

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Beard 1846
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 18:00 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry, there is a 'long Will' of John CHESTERTON Innkeeper of Gloucester 1838 - who appears to have quite a big of land etc - and talks about the Nags Head.  His children are Sarah, John, Henry and Charles.

? Did George BEARD run one of John CHESTERTON Public Houses - (as was he the father of George's first wife?) S CHESTERTON witnessed his second marriage.

John CHESTERTON Will - 1848, Inn Keeper  (talks about Nags Head etc)
Charles CHESTERTON Will - 1843, Malster   ****  (talks about Nags Head, by the Island)
Sarah CHESTERTON Will - 1843 - Spinster  (died in 1839)

----

1841 Census, Glos, St Owen, District City Prison

Charles CHESTERTON, aged 25, Malster

? Is there a reason George BEARD committed suicide i.e. loss of income etc.  There is a Nags Head Yard, a few doors away from George 1841 census  - By the Island

Offline Parkybe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 November 17 11:15 GMT (UK) »
There is so much here to take in.  I could not access a newspaper with the report of his death, but Google turned up the following on website www.deathonmydoorstep.com

8/       Star Inn,Gloucester         June 1846
George Beard,landlord of the Star Inn,Gloucester,took his own life under the following circumstances.On the Friday night he went to a Druid's dinner,and got home absolutely ratted.His wife had strong words with him,so he walked out,and went back to the Inn where they had the dinner.they put him up for the night,so he could sleep it off,but when they entered his room the next morning,he'd hung himself with his handkerchief(How big were Victorian handkerchiefs?)He left a wife and six children,and the verdict was down to "Temporary Insanity"

I am guessing this is in the words of the website writer, not the original.  How different from today in the reporting of suicides.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 November 17 12:07 GMT (UK) »
George BEARD went to a Druid's Dinner

???  is this a Sailing Vessel or an Organisation

On Pigots Directory for Gloucestershire

DREW J is Master of 'The Druid' which sailed from Bristol to Jamaica

This was built in Chepstow 1826 and James DREW Jnr was the Owner.

---

On Ancestry, there is Probate etc 19 June 1846 for George BEARD - with Elizabeth BEARD Widow and Elizabeth BRAINSFORD of Barton Saint Mary.  Value under £450

Offline Parkybe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 November 17 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps if I can locate the original report it might shed some more light.  It seems more likely to be the organisation.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 November 17 15:06 GMT (UK) »
I thought Druids Dinner was like a Moose Dinner - select club type thing. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 November 17 15:47 GMT (UK) »

National Archives  (held at Gloucestershire Archives)

Reference: D3814 : Miscellaneous records

Royal Arch Druids Society and Royal South Gloucester Light Infantry Regiment of Militia Papers

Date: 1829 -1832

?

Assume George BEARD was a Freemason

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 November 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
? do wonder, whether (from the Will of John BEARD, City of Gloucester, Victualler 1827) is the father of George BEARD (although, as yet can't find a baptism) - but can for some of his children at Gloucester St Nicholas.

John BEARD talks about his property in Stourport in the County of Worcester.

Wife: Mary

and seven children

George
Edmund - 16 July 1809  (Boat Owner in Quary Street 1841 census aged 30 - died a few years later)
Thomas - 22 September 1811 (Waterman - 1841 Census, aged 30, wife Harriett aged 25,)
Mary Ann - 8 August 1813 - John (Inn Holder) & Mary
David Evans BEARD - 4 January 1818, John (Victualler) & Mary
Ellen
Daniel John BEARD - 24 November 1822, (parents as above)**

There is a tree on Ancestry, which gives Daniel John BEARD marrying Louisa Belcher - 5 September 1850, Lye, Stourbridge, Worcestershire

---

There is a Susan BEARD christened at Glos. St Nicholas 18 October 1807 - parents:  John & Mary

George & Elizabeth use the name Daniel

---

Looking at the Electoral Register, 1841 for Gloucester

31 BEARD Davis Evans, Somerset Place, Spa
32 BEARD Edmund - The Quay
33 BEARD George - Island
34 BEARD Thomas - Island

3 BEARD's all very close  Quay/Island

----

I can't imagine, John CHESTERTON let his 17 year old daughter, marry unless she would be well provided for.

---

?  Marriage at St Peter's Worcestershire: 15 December 1800

John BEARD + Mary EVANS

Offline SeaBee23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 November 17 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Parkybe and all who replied.
My main research into the Beard(s) family was through my direct relative Daniel John Beard who was born in Gloucester in 1822 and died in Wolverhampton.

With regard to George Beard:
Pigotts trade directory of 1830 for Gloucester lists George and Mary Beard coal dealer and publican.  Duke of Gloucester, Quay Street.
The 1839 directory lists George Beard coal merchant and haulier of the Nags Head, The Island.
The 1842 edition lists George Beard of the Star Inn and coal dealer the Island.
The 1841 census gives George Beard 35 coal merchant, Elizabeth Beard 25 wife and children.

George Beard of The Star Inn, Quay died intestate following his suicide in 1846.
At Gloucester record centre I discovered a letter of administration to the consistory court with regard to George. Three people had made claims on George’s estate. Elizabeth Beard widow, Elizabeth Brainsford widow, and a Joseph Page.
The two widows is interesting, I subsequently found a marriage of George Beard and Elizabeth Drinkwater at Huntley on the 5th of October 1819 by bann.
I also found a marriage licence for George Beard and Elizabeth Brainsford at Cheltenham on 26th June 1832.
George was described as a widower of St Nicholas, Gloucester on the later licence.
A full obituary and description of the events around George’s death were published in the Gloucester Journal of the 6th of June 1846.

A memorial headstone at St Nicholas’s church reads “Sacred to the memory of George Beard of the Star Inn, Quay who died May 30th 1846 aged 43 years. George Edward Beard son of George and Elizabeth Beard of this parish innkeeper who died October 28th 1833 aged 5 months and five days.

The 1851 census for the Star Inn  finds Elizabeth Beard now a widow age 38 Inn Keeper and coal merchant, Ann 16 at home, Charles 13 a writing clerk, Daniel 12 a scholar and George B (Brainsford?) 6

I have consulted the will of John Beard Victualler and have assumed (!) over the years that he was George’s father. However I have not been able to prove the fact which was the reason for my original post looking for any further leads.

A few possible fragments pointing to John:

Knowing George was 45 when he died places his birth at 1801, I have a baptism for a George Beard at Stourport on the 3rd July 1803 (close) son of John and Mary Beard.
John had family connections and property at Stourport.

The listing of Freemen of the city of Gloucester 1641-1838 (on Ancestry) gives
1824 6th September Geo Beard, App of John Beard, coal merchant.

Regarding the Beard children the only info I have is from Wolverhampton where the online archives of parish records give the marriage of George Brainsford Beard, Timber merchants clerk of Waterloo Road (father George Beard a carrier) to Emma Eliza Blake on the 8th of March 1866.
Also sadly: George Brainsford Beards age 22 of Frederick Street buried 24th of May 1866.