Author Topic: single mothers home run by nuns  (Read 70525 times)

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
  • I thought I was the lone survivor..think again
    • View Profile
Re: single mothers home run by nuns
« Reply #27 on: Monday 31 January 11 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lisa,

I did speak to this person and she was great but had little info.  It appears much of the records were destroyed or not handeled appropriatley and are now gone.  She was baptised at St. Robert's in Longsight.  The name Hennessy keeps coming up.   There has to be some connection!  Fr. Hennessy had to be practicing in the area.. I just cannot locate where!

Thank you.
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline MDT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello all... My birth mother stayed at Broom Lane before giving me up for adoption. I have a meeting with Caritas in the next couple of weeks to view my adoption papers, but I am keen to hear any first hand stories of what this home was like.

If I get any pertinant info from my meeting, I'll gladly share it on here but obviously that will be from the viewpoint of Caritas and not nessarily the same view as the girls that stayed their:-)

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I am so happy for you.  Please share what you find. I really what to know what you uncover..

Here is my story..

http://www.boston.com/community/stories_to_inspire/articles/2010/12/19/an_old_secret_blooms_into_joy/

Best of luck.

Cathy
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline MDT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy, that's some story! I've not even started to contemplate the possibility of brothers or sisters yet. It's hard enough dealing with the prospect of hearing about the circumstances around my birth and adoption...

Thanks for sharing :)

Offline carolynb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy
What a great result for you  well done

Carolyn
Hill,Griffiths,Davison,Hewitt,Foulkes, Flintshire
Hill, Assal,Thomas Cheshire/Flintshire
Brennan Queens county (Laois)
Hynnes Galway
Flood  Wicklow/Lancashire     Geogehan/Gahan Wicklow to Lancashire
Currie Monaghan/Scotland
Behan Kings and Kildare
Purcell Wexford/ co kilkenny
Hunt Wexford
Hoey Louth
Kean Ireland
Flannagan Kings County Offley
Leather Lancashire
Woodward Lancashire
Thomas Lancashire
Garnett lancashire
Haselden Lancashire
Singleton Lancashire

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn,
It was and still is amazing!  It has really worked out for the both of us in the end.  We are very fortunate.  I think if people could share anything about the home and their outcomes, it would be so helpful to others.  I am amazed that my mother had this "other life".  Watching the Magdalen Sisters made me realize the climate of accepance around this topic.  I am so glad my mother had England to go to, being from Dublin.

Cathy
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 February 11 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Cathy - That's such a lovely story.  I, too, had a daughter who was adopted but, unfortunately, when she found me, my daughter from my marriage didn't want to know her at all, although my sons are absolutely fine about her.

Unlike you, my daughter from my marriage feels she has lost her position in the family as the eldest girl and won't even talk about the situation. 

Lizzie

Offline MDT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I had my meeting today, I don't really want to share too much detail at the moment. I have lots of information and I need to let it all sink in. But below is a transcript of a leaflet I was given about the history of St Teresa's Home, 61 Broom Lane, Salford. I hope is useful to somebody...

St Teresa's Home was founded on 2 July 1932. The property which consisted of two large houses and extensive grounds, was purchased by the community from the Brown family.

The primary work was as a Maternity Home for married  ladies. After some time, as the need arose, some unmarried expectant mothers were admitted at the request of His Lordship, Bishop Marshall, the then Bishop of Salford. The Maternity Home was a useful means of sheltering the unmarried mothers and also procuring financial aid necessary to maintain this work.

This joint work continued for a few years until the Maternity Home closed and the care of the unmarried mothers and their babies became the principal work, which flourished over the years.

Most of the babies were adopted and placed in good homes. They became a great source of happiness to their adoptive parents. Some girls decided to keep their babies.

The Sisters, by their devotion, dedication, understanding and sympathy, helped to uplift, encourage and support these girls during a very painful period of their lives and many of them have kept in contact with the Sisters over the years. It is a great consolation to know that many of them benefited spiritually from their stay at St Teresa's.

A Training School for Nursery Nurses began soon after 1941. We know that in 1944 there were six nurses in training. Sr. Catherine Hickey supervised their practical training and the nurses attended one of the hospitals for lectures. Some Sisters were also trained. This branch of the work ceased in 1945.

From about 1948 to 1969, each Parish Priest of the Salford Diocese contributed annually towards the upkeep of the home to suppliment the low income. This was at the request of His Lordship, Bishop Marshall, who held the work of the Sisters in great esteem! It also helped the priests, who were then in a position to refer to Teresa's, girls who came to them seeking help.

In 1964 the Nursery was built to accommodate the increasing number of unmarried expectant mothers. As a result of the Abortion Act, the numbers dropped considerably, so much so that the new building was sufficient to house the existing numbers. From 1970 onwards, the numbers fluctuated.

In 1974 the Sisters moved from the original house and bought 62 Wterpark Road. The two original houses were then demolished and the land sold. St Vincent's Housing Association built nine flats for the elderly on the site previously occupied by the Maternity Home. The site where the Sisters house was situated is still vacant and is owned by the Corporation

In 1979 the Sister's present house, 58 Broom Lane, became vacant and as it was much more convenient to the Nursery, the community purchased it and sold 63 Waterpark Road.

Parish visiting was also one of the works of 61 Broom Lane. The parishes of St Thomas of Canterbury and Corpus Christi, Miles Platting, have been visited by the Sisters for a great number of years. This work continues today.

In August 1984, St Theresa's officially closed.

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the excerpt.  I know the feeling of absorbing and it does take some time.. I hope you do well with things. 

Cathy
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan