Author Topic: single mothers home run by nuns  (Read 71052 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: single mothers home run by nuns
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

just sent you a pm

which David won't be able to respond to as he doesn't have a post count of 3 or above.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Mary8

• --
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 22:16 GMT (UK) »
But he is on facebook if you look at his profile

K :)

Offline tinker11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Thursday 12 February 15 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Just read the info re St Teresas Broome Lane Salford-My husband was born there in 1941and we often wondered why he was still with his mum when he was christened at 6 weeks-thinking that babies were taken at birth. At least he was with his mum until she decided to have him adopted to a very happy home when he was approx. 2yrs. However we are puzzled about what happened between 6 wks and 2yrs. He was in a childrens home in Kirkham Lancashire when he was 'chosen' by his adoptive parents. Does anyone have any ideas what this home was and what it might be now or how we could find out.

As a new comer to Roots Chat I hope my format for the query is sufficient and not too brusque

Thank you     

Offline tinker11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 15 February 15 12:03 GMT (UK) »
All the info regarding St Teresa is so interesting -As I said earlier I have been searching for years on and off through Ann Marie Biderdyke at Catholic Rescue Society and she has been unable to provide any details. A strange thing is that in one of the articles(by Roden)a Sister Philomena is mentioned and it is a Sister of the same name who helps in the traces with Ann Marie. Coincidence or could it be the same one?

Any ideas about possible old photos would be useful. Also my husband was Christened at St Benedict Kenal-anyone know anything?-We cant find it.

Can we find out how old the children were when they left St Teresas? All this is back in 1941.

I appreciate the web site provided by Mary 8 and am about to check it out

Thanks to all for help and advice

Tinker11 

Offline Maldooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 09 March 15 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, bit of a long shot but would anyone know or remember a Mary Josephine Hanrahan who was at St Teresa's Broom Lane with her baby girl in July 1957

Another question does anyone know of the story of a roof falling in at the home in 1957/1958.

Would be great to hear from you. Many thanks.

Offline Maldooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how to reply to Mary8's message but just wanted to say thank you for the website recommendation.

Really keen to know if anyone remembers the " roof incident " at the home. I am trying to search the local news but at the moment it's like the needle in the haystack😄

Thanks again

Offline hdannedwardsennis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 14 November 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Not sure where to place this in the thread.  My Mum was shipped from Ireland to St Theresa's when she became pregnant in 1969 (I was born in 1970).  When leaving the home during the day she was made to wear a wedding band.  I was born at Hope Hospital.  Despite being in another country with nowhere to go I was lucky enough that she refused point blank to give me up and there was enormous pressure to do so, perhaps being that she was 26 gave her the confidence to say no.  She remembers how distraught the other girls were when giving up there babies during her time there.  She is in contact with one of the other girls that was there and she has successfully traced her son and they have a good relationship.  Mr Mums name at the time was Mary Ennis.  I've been trying to trace my birth father on and off but as it turned out he had 'another life' whilst being with my Mum any details I had were generally false.  In fairness to him he did try and track my Mum down in Ireland but the family sent him on his way.  Regardless of circumstance there is that missing piece of the puzzle that makes me 'me'.  I would encourage anyone thinking about searching for an adopted child (or birth parent) to take a chance.

Offline Atma Jyoti

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 02 January 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
My mother Ellen Delaney from Kilkenny gave up a child for adoption in 1948. I don't know if it was a boy or a girl. She has now died and she never wanted to discuss. If anyone has been interested in this information let me know. Kath

Offline Citychick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
I was a young single mum 17 years old in 1978 and stayed at st theresa mother and baby home . For me my short time there was scary and harsh . As I was frowned upon for refusing to give my baby up for adoption which was expected of me .if it hadn't been for a caring midwife at st Mary's hospital who when i told her I didn't want to give my baby away gave me lots of advice and reassurance that despite what the nuns and adoption society said I didn't have to. Despite us all trying to behave normally it was a sad place . I still think of the mum's who felt they had no choice and often wonder how both their babies and themselves got on .