Author Topic: single mothers home run by nuns  (Read 70524 times)

Offline chrissyM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: single mothers home run by nuns
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 17 June 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi yes,  this home was run by nuns.
It was running in the 70s still.
Now information can be found from Caritas, a catholic organisation dealing with these historic records !

Offline chrissyM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 17 June 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,,,,,

Get in touch with  Caritas.    They are based at Salford Council and have historic records from St Theresa's Home on Broome Lane.
good luck to you

Did u ever find out who holds the record's for Saint Theresa's. I am interested as my Grandmother was adopted from here i believe.

Kind Regards

Crystal
[/quote]

Offline chrissyM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 17 June 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi 

I too was there in 1971,   maybe we know each other !! I have had some success...

I only just joined this site and cannot have personal messagesyet,  but maybe you can reply.

Hello, i am new to this site. i was in this mother and baby home in 1971 and would like to find my daughter who was adopted. Just that i am not sure she may want that. its very difficult. It was a sad, sad time for me. I have and always will think about her on a daily basis.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sunday 17 June 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi chrissy

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Your post count stands at 3 so you can both send and receive personal messages now.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Suzy Delaney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
I only saw the posts regarding St Teresa's in Broome Lane yesterday, so I suppose my post is now of no interest but, for the record, I was sent to St Teresa's in 1968 as an 'unmarried mother to be'. I stayed there, had my baby, and, against all the  personal onslaughts towards and against me from the nuns, I managed to keep my baby. At that time there were no other girls/women doing that, daring to defy them, nor able to do so, because we were all seen as degenerates, despite many of us coming from 'good homes', and it was incredibly difficult at that time to live in any community as a single mother. I met some wonderful young women, some of whom had been raped, others abandoned by their boyfriends, and many sent there in secrecy, after which they could return to their communities. The nuns were bullies, they were unhappy women who, as far as we were concerned regarded us as having sinned against God, and were 'sullied'.  I shall never forget it as long as I live.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 13:01 BST (UK) »
Suzy - I'm so sorry to read your story.  At least you were fortunate in that you kept your baby, although I wasn't in a home I was sent away to have my baby in 1960 (at a nursing home which is the subject of another thread) and I didn't keep my baby.  The good thing is nearly 50 years later she traced me and we are now in touch, albeit not regularly, and I'm in touch with her adoptive parents.

Offline Citychick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi suzy
I was also a mother who kept her baby despite the protests from the nuns and other agencies. I will never forget my time at st theresa' s. The nuns could be viscious and cruel at times and caring at others . But i always felt that I was a bad person in their eyes . But hey tomorrow 20th June  my son will celebrate his 40th birthday and life turned out so different than I thought as an unmarried mum all those years ago .

Ann

Offline Suzy Delaney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
To Ann and LizzieW, I am so pleased that the years seem to have brought some comfort and happiness, despite those difficult and oppressive experiences.

Thank goodness times have changed, and are still changing, surely for the better. I am convinced that at the root of the greater problems we faced lay the inequalities between the sexes. However there is a long way to go yet. I don't think I'll see in my lifetime a stage in which women will be equal in number to men in government, commerce, industry and in all social strata. Where all women don't have to rely on men for income or anything else, and where women will be given the same due respect as men. Nevertheless, the good news is that our society has advanced in these respects, but one only has to look at the rest of the world to know that mass destruction, hate and oppression is being caused by men, and until women all over the world are able to benefit from education there will always be similar sorts of difficulties for other women - stigma, control, abuse, fear and untold sadness.

Offline SFenwick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
i will have to look into caritas.

i don't know really what i am doing on this site but I'm hoping this sends a reply