Author Topic: John Morey  (Read 9587 times)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Morey
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 21:06 BST (UK) »
I have now found a John Morey born 19 Dec, 1809, baptised 21 Jan 1810 at St Thomas, Portsmouth.; parents Joseph and Elizabeth. The date is consistent with the John Morey I am trying to trace; is it likely that someone recorded in 1851 as 'born Emsworth' would have been baptised at St Thomas, Portsmouth? I also have a clue as to the missing marriage - Elizabeth Morey is 'born Emsworth' acc. to 1851 census, but in 1861, she is a widow 'born Fishbourne, Sussex' (her surname is transcribed as 'Marry'. Perhaps I need to look at Sussex.
Thanks for your continuing help.
JohnE

No, I found that baptism too and discounted it as too far away from their home patch.  While Portsmouth is close, unless he was the first child and one of his parents was from Portsmouth and they went home to granny for the christening, it would never be recorded as Emsworth.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 18:55 BST (UK) »
This may be a possibility from IGI although the age is out by a few years.  Baptism for a  Joannes MOREY - 21 APR 1806 Brockhampton-Rc, Brockhampton,  Gender: Male Birth: 19 APR 1806.  Parents John MOREY and Mary DUKE

The John MOREY recorded here may even be the same chap as the one you found baptised at St Faith Havant - I have family members who are listed as baptised in the RC and the Anglican church - in one case the baptisms supposedly took place on the same date twenty miles apart; possible, I suppose  ???

My ancestors baptised at Brockhampton RC chapel are variously listed as having been born in Bedhampton, Emsworth, Warblington as well as Brockhampton.  I gather the 'parish' of the RC chapel at the time covered a fairly wide area.  Many are buried at Warblington in the parish church although the Catholic records say 'Emsworth'.

Still nothing to 'prove' that any of them are the one you are looking for. :-\

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 March 11 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have information about the son, John MOREY, born 1834, who was admitted to Parkhurst Prison in 1848, transferred to the Philanthropic Institute that same year and emigrated to Port Elizabeth, South Africa, in January 1849.   Sadly, no further information has been retrieved.

However, the details I have for John MOREY are quite extensive if someone wishes to contact me...........I am a mature posgraduate at Southampton University research for a PhD on Parkhurst Prison 1838-1864.

Regards

Tony Cocks

Offline sp1jpe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 March 11 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Tony
Many thanks for your posting. I have tried to send you a message, but I am not sure my machine is set up to make this happen. If you do not receive it, please let me know and I will let you know my email address.
Thanks
JohnE

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 March 11 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

Thank you for your reply.........the PM arrived safely with your email address.

I need to update one or two aspects of John MOREY's Biography and will send you the full copy tomorrow.

For the moment

Tony

Offline Radhima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 April 12 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hello to Tony Cocks  (BAC3)

Just to request you to contact myself via the List as I would love to have your previous thread mention and knowledge of the JOHN MOREY BIOGRAPHY  :)

Could he be my wife's family member as there were several MOREY families on the IoW -they all seem to be linked, if you can go back far enough.

Hoping to have a posting to contact you direct or at least to know how to access your excellent work?

Many thanks   ;)
McMinn Clark Sproat Milroy (Millroy) Scotland
Ohara Cantwell McMinn  Ireland
other names and locations are *Trew *Biddlecomb Jeffery NobbsMorey Attrill Morris Pain Drudge Flux Day Hiles/Hailes/Hayles** IOW & **USA

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 April 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Radhima,

Thank you for your message.

I will be delighted to help you as much as I can about John MOREY, at least that part of his life which relates to England.   Unfortunately he "migrated" to the Cape Colony, Port Elizabeth, and that marks the end of my knowledge about him.

I have posted a Personal Message to you with my email address so that you can respond with your address.   I will then forward a copy of the Biography.

For the moment,

Tony

Offline Radhima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 February 15 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tony
Only just found the back postings to 2012 as we have had problems with our hotmail and have had to change addresses to cover this.  If you wish to contact me through rootschat they will pass anything over you have as I think to post my new email on this site would be inviting more problems. Very keen however to have John Morey Biography so many many thanks.

Thank you for agreeing to send me anything which since then you have on John Morey.  So far as I know the Anthony Morey from Yapton which is East Sussex moved to the Island before 1630 and my wife's roots are from Henry the father of our John Morey all Isle of Wight to today!

Thanking you  John
other names and locations are *Trew *Biddlecomb Jeffery NobbsMorey Attrill Morris Pain Drudge Flux Day Hiles/Hailes/Hayles** IOW & **USA

Offline Radhima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 February 15 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Can any of your researchers throw light on the possibility that Morey name was from the region of Prussia or even Russia being linked as of Jewish origin.  This would begin with Anthony Morey Or Morye in the pre 1600 era Sussex and later residence Arreton Isle of Wight.

The research made earlier has stopped abruptly on this Anthony link and cannot seem to move on from him to discover the place he emigrated from to this Country. Thanks in advance

John  :)