Author Topic: Day trip to Where?  (Read 16056 times)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Day trip to Where?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 September 09 13:00 BST (UK) »
The engine in the photo isn't a Great Central Railwal 4-4-2T as suggested.  It has a 'splasher' at the front (the half- round thing down from the engine funnel) - a sort of mudguard over the wheel - which, from its size, is obviously over a driving wheel. Hence the engine doesn't have bogie wheels leading, but driving wheels.

I thought it was an 0-6-2T but (after a bit of reading) I'm sure now that it's a Midland Railway 0-4-4T.  And my money's on the Neath & Brecon line.

Assuming the photo is of a party from South Wales, the nearest they'd have seen a Great Central Railway engine was at Wrexham. 

Hi Henry

I agree it isn't a GCR loco - the chimney is the wrong shape in any case.

I had thought all along that it could have been an 0-4-4T - but I could never quite convince myself that I was seeing a splasher rather than the top of someone's hat!  Nor can I find anything to suggest that MR 0-4-4Ts ever ventured into Wales - Great Malvern was possibly the limit.  Because of the gradients in South Wales, six-coupled loco's seem more likely.  About a dozen "Jintys" were exiled to Swansea ... and then there were LNWR "Coal Tanks" at Abergavenny.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 September 09 14:07 BST (UK) »
Could anyone translate for me!  ;D not being up on railway engines, what is a six coupled or jinty?
regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 September 09 14:17 BST (UK) »
I have just taken a look at Wikipedia and there is quite a bit on this railway for Neath & Brecon.  It also mentions a station called Free Street Joint Station, where trips were run from.  According to that the place most likely to be visiting was Swansea.

1930 - London Midland and Scottish Railway cease passenger services from Swansea/Neath/Brecon to the Midlands

This is getting interesting!
Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 September 09 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

Gave your pic a quick tidy.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 September 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
is it me or are there more people on the photo than could fit on the coach
looks to me like a midland 0-6-0 but in 1924 the valleys were full of railways
and  brynmawr was on the heads of the valley line,LNWR territory.

mazi's other half.

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 September 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
I cannot thank you enough the picture looks amazing and Mazi I knew there was something about this photo, all the seats are taken and then there's all those standing out side the charabanc.  Regards Trish

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 September 09 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

You're very welcome.  Have you noticed that all the seated passengers are women and children.  I think it some sort of mother's club/union outing.   Also, some of the men standing in the front appear to have the same label badge (at first I thought it was damage but then I realised it was a badge!  ::)  I accidentally removed one of the badges so I've put it back).   Could it be some sort of union/society outing organised  for mother's and children? 

As Philip thinks it was taken at the beginning of the trip, it's possible the men were there to see them off, which would explain the abundance of  people compared to seats.

Probably way of the mark, but it's fun speculating!  :)

Cheers
Caroline

PS One of the chaps in the front is wearing an eye patch.
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 19 September 09 01:49 BST (UK) »
PS  There was a branch of the Mother's Union in Wales.

http://www.themothersunion.org/historyofmu.aspx

Caroline

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 September 09 08:48 BST (UK) »
I just thought ..... (maybe  ;D)  they could be off to the 'HIRING MARKET'..............

xin