Author Topic: Sarah Pyett in 1851 *Complete*  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Dustygeorge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Pyett in 1851 *Complete*
« on: Sunday 30 August 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Sarah Pyett in 1851.

In the 1860 census of Brooklyn, NY, USA Sarah Pyett, 14 yrs old, born England is listed with John L. (Lott) Pyett and Mary (Whaley) Pyett.

FreeBMD records the birth of Sarah Pyett in the Dec 1846 qtr in Luton.  (I'm not sure this is the daughter of John Pyett and Mary Whaley.  I've requested the certificate from GRO.)

John Lott Pyett and Mary Whaley were married 28 Dec 1849 in St Ives.  That is three years after Sarah was born.

In 1851 John and Mary Pyett were living in Hemingford Grey.  Then in May 1851 they immigrated to the USA.  There was no Sarah with them on either occasion.

I have been unable to find Sarah in 1851 censuses.  If she was born out of wedlock, is it possible she went under a different surname in 1851?  On that possibility I checked John Pyett's and Mary Whaley's parents and as many siblings as I could find for any stray Sarah's.  I then read the Hemingford Grey and St Ives Union Workhouse censuses looking for 5 to 6 year old Sarah's that didn't show up in Free BMD.  There were two Sarah Giddens in Hemingford Grey census but only one registerred in FreeBMD.

What are the chances that one of the Sarah Giddins could be Sarah Pyett?

Any coments or suggestions for finding my Sarah?

Thanks, George 

Whaley in Cambs, Hunts, Norfolk
Redhead in Cambs
Robson in Yorks

Offline Dustygeorge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Pyett in 1851
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 09 02:27 BST (UK) »
I may have found an answer to part of my question.  FreeBMD also registered the death of a Sarah Pyett in the Dec 1846 qtr in Luton.  I don' know why I didn't think to check for deaths early.  :-[

That still leaves me with the question of where did the 14 year old Sarah Pyett, born in England, come from in the 1860 census of Brooklyn, NY, USA?

BTW The 1900 census said that Mary (Whaley) Pyett was the mother of 2 children.  One still living.

Thanks again for any help,
George
Redhead in Cambs
Robson in Yorks

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 09 03:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Why would you think that either of the Sarah Giddins living in Hemingford Grey in 1851 was Sarah Pyett? Both were living with their parents, Alfred and Ann, and James and Catherine respectively.  And in 1861 both Sarah Giddins were still living with their same parents, so my answer to your question "What are the chances that one of the Sarah Giddins could be Sarah Pyett?" is no chance at all.

In 1846 many births were still not registered. You need to check Hemingford Grey parish register to see if a Sarah Whaley, for that's how an illegitimate child of Mary Whaley would have been recorded, was baptised c1846. Unfortunately the LDS was not permitted to film the parish register, which is only available to view at Huntingdon Records Office. They run an efficient research service for those who can't get to Huntingdon

I can't find a Sarah in 1851  b1846 +/-2 in Hem* Hunts who's unaccounted for.

Have you found Sarah in any subsequent US census, or a marriage/death for her, to corroborate her birth year?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Dustygeorge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 09 05:59 BST (UK) »
David,

Thanks for the welcome to Rootschat.  I just discovered it.  It seems like a very active, helpful forum.  My direct Whaley line comes from Cambridgeshire, but I am finding many cousins such as the Mary Whaley that married John Lott Pyett in Huntingdonshire and Norfolk.

I agree.  There is no chance either of the Sarah Giddins was my Sarah Pyett.  I was grasping at straws.  I still have no clue as to the origin of my Sarah.

No.  I have not been able to find any other record for her.  Her parents were in Illinois for the 1870 census.  She was not with them.  Then in 1880 her mother was back in Brooklyn living with in-laws and her father was an inmate in the Northern Illinois Hospital for the Insane.  She probably married between 1860 and 1870 but it is hard to find marriage records in New York for that time period.

Thanks again for the welcome.  George
Redhead in Cambs
Robson in Yorks