Author Topic: LIDDELL of Bodmin  (Read 30301 times)

Offline dmollison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LIDDELL of Bodmin
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 19:31 BST (UK) »

Yes, it was the sub-antarctic Prince Edward Island! see:

http://academic.sun.ac.za/botzoo/space/climate/marionHistory.htm

- On the 19th of June 1849 the most tragic incident in the history of the islands' occured. The Richard Dart, an emigrant ship from Britain, ran aground on Prince edward Island while following a non-stop "composite-sailing" passage from the Thames to New Zealand. A total of 53 of the ship's 63 passengers were lost. Of the fifty three, five women, 10 children and 37 men were drowned during the wreck an one, William Goldsmith, died two months later. After a wait of 72 days the remaining survivors were rescued. This incident is not only the largest known loss of life at either of the Prince Edward Islands but it is also the only known deaths of women and children.

Denis

Offline Little_Family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
Denis,
Glad it was useful.
Tim

Offline marywillis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 September 10 00:25 BST (UK) »
I too am related to the Liddell and Martyn family from Bodmin, through the India connections please can you post me a copy of the inscriptions etc. I understand there is an obelisk in the churchyard did you find this monument?
(*) Mary Willis

Moderator Comment: email address removed, to help prevent spam and other abuses,  as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Note: New members need to have made 3 postings before the PM system is fully functional so please reply here so that others may contact you.

Offline Little_Family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 September 10 08:02 BST (UK) »
Mary,
I assume you're talking about St Petroc's in Bodmin? I didn't see the obelisk, but maybe I was too busy looking for headstones - most of which were leaning against the wall at the side of the graveyard.
Send me a message telling me which of the inscriptions you'd like a copy of.

My wife's family come down the Charles Liddell (1846 to 1901) line. He married Emma Jane Anderson BLUETT at Lahore in 1871. I've got some info about that line, but not sure how to get more details of events that took place in India.

Tim

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 September 10 13:53 BST (UK) »

Offline Little_Family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 September 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
Tom,
No. I haven't tried that. Will do.
Thanks
Tim

Offline marywillis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 September 10 16:39 BST (UK) »
I read in an old guide book about the obelisk, please could you send me, when convenient, any photos that you have of St Petroc's re Liddell family. I have done some research into the family of Charles and Emma and have counted nine children. My mother who is now 82 recalls vividly her uncles Charles jr and Ralph and her auntie Gertie during visits to her aunt's London home. Ralph's daughter Dianna was a playmate of hers and she often wonders if she is still living. I am very much intrigued which family member your wife is related to,
Mary

Offline MichelleIlewin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 January 15 04:44 GMT (UK) »
After looking for a distant family member I returned to Rootschat after a long spell and found some good info on George Liddell b 29 Aug 1844 here, thanks for your postings folks. My Relation is the Mary Lewin who married George Liddell in Plymouth in 23 Aug 1871. She was the daughter of William Lewin of "Cornish and Lewin Wholesale Chemists and Druggists" of St Andrew, Plymouth. He had married a daughter of a Naval Surgeon. If anyone is interested in her lines I can help.
Best wishes
Michelle.

Offline jebertram

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 21:05 BST (UK) »
Dear descendants of the Liddells, I have unearthed a James Liddell born on 29th September 1765 in Stepney, via the parish records collated by Find My Past ... what do you reckon?  A wild card?  He was born to James Liddell, a carpenter and Susannah (nee Phillips).  I guess it's no stranger to move from London to Bodmin than it is to move from Lancaster! 
My great-grandmother was Lillian Liddell, grand daughter to Silas Hiscutt ...