Author Topic: How can I search the census street by street (Ancestry)?  (Read 28956 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: How can I search the census street by street (Ancestry)?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 10:42 BST (UK) »
I agree, which is why I have subs to more than one site to get the best bits from all of them  ::)

:)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I didn't realise how to apply the information on the links Stan gave to the Ancestry website but sorry to sound a bit thick here, do I put the reference number in the "keywords" box because I can't see another box.  I tried it with York Street and got 17,745,809 matches  :P.

Can you help me a bit more please?

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 11:53 BST (UK) »
I don't know what place you are looking for,  but the street index gives you a ref and a folio e.g. for York Street Sunderland in the 1851 Census HO 107/2398   221-225  This means that York Street covers folios 221 to 225, in piece number 2398.
In ancestry at the bottom of the search page you will see
HO107   Piece  Folio Page # Keyword(s)

If you put HO107   Piece 2398  Folio 221 you will get a list of the 40 people living in York Street covered by that folio.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 12:07 BST (UK) »
do I put the reference number in the "keywords" box because I can't see another box.

I think you need to use the 'old search' - here is the link to the 1851 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=8860&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0

Use the boxes at the bottom. Don't enter anything else in the search. The result will appear exactly as Stan has explained.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for much for your help.  I understand what I am doing now.

:D

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 September 09 21:55 BST (UK) »
~~~~~~~~
Another way is much more laborious, but I have done it a few times. On the main search page click on UK census on the right hand side of the page, then in the search box enter the census year, scroll down to county, then town, and go through the enumeration pages for the town, which list the streets in order of enumeration. When you find the right enumeration district description, go back and click on the number next to it, and work your way through it to find your street.
I didn't know that method, Barbara, but it's good to know about, as my method doesn't always work. I wonder if your way works on the 1911 census - I'm having trouble locating a woman who may have remarried, but who I know stayed in a particular district.

So thanks for the tip.
Lesley

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 September 09 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Another 2 methods:

1:  can be labourious but I've often been able to get results on Ancestry this way:  find the address in 1881 which is searchable by street name. Sometime you have to play with the street name, less is sometimes more and sometimes I just search:                  street name* in the civil parish  required, no number or "St", "Ave" etc. If found, then look at the people around and at the address, you can assess whether or not they were likely to have been in the same area earlier or later by pob, ages etc -   and try and find them or their neighbours in earlier or later Census, and so on - eventually finding one family who follow on & remain at their same address near target address in the Census you want.

2. this can be surprisingly successful! Google streetname town-name census 1851
Chances are someone has researched their family on that street and have published the details on the web. Check any links, see who the people were and look them up on Ancestry, then "walk" up or down the street to find your address.  Sometimes including the actual house number or a housenumber nearby in the Google search  can work, thereby getting you closer to your target from the off.

Cheers
AMBLY

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 September 09 23:13 BST (UK) »
Another good idea! Again, one I'll try on 1911!