Author Topic: SMITHs in Attleborough, Norfolk  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
SMITHs in Attleborough, Norfolk
« on: Tuesday 01 September 09 05:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have info about Romany SMITHs in Attleborough?

Jamie
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline mar1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SMITHs in Attleborough, Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 09 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I had family in Attleborough with the name Smith who were romany gypsies.
John Smith was the head of the family and died in the1970's.
He was married to a lady with the maiden name Lamb they had two children Mary and Leafy.
John was my grandmother's oldest brother[my great uncle].
Their father was called Owen Smith and his father was called Woodlock Smith.
Woodlock was an evangelist and his nephew was Gypsy Smith the well known evangelist.
I hope this can help you.

Offline louisepiktel

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there my name is Louise I'm tracing my family tree while searching I came across your message and the people your naming are my family also john and Sarah smith was my granny's grandparents she was the daughter of Mary, john and Sarah's daughter, I have many fond memories of my great granny Mary and uncle leafy
Ive searching information on both John and Sarah's family I have loads of pictures of them both through their life also I have a picture of Ruth john's mum near a wagon with her son Nathan smith
have you found out anymore information?
I've only just started my search ,do you have a facebook account if so please friend request me Louise Piktel

xx

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Hullo Louise,

Forgive the delay in answering. I'm not sure that your folk are connected to mine. My Attleborough Smiths are Samuel 1781 - 1847 and his wife Sophia WRIGHT 1774 - 1858. They moved to Essex. Any connection, do you think?
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I had family in Attleborough with the name Smith who were romany gypsies.
John Smith was the head of the family and died in the1970's.
He was married to a lady with the maiden name Lamb they had two children Mary and Leafy.
John was my grandmother's oldest brother[my great uncle].
Their father was called Owen Smith and his father was called Woodlock Smith.
Woodlock was an evangelist and his nephew was Gypsy Smith the well known evangelist.
I hope this can help you.