Author Topic: Hull Sanitorium?  (Read 11627 times)

Offline Blushing Rose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hull Sanitorium?
« on: Tuesday 01 September 09 16:18 BST (UK) »
We've just received a death certificate which tells us that our ancestor died at 'Hull Sanatorium' in 1942 of TB...

I have discovered that this was at Castle Hill, Cottingham...are there any dregs left of the old place left up there are has it all gone - and, where might I find out info about the place please? (Goggles doesn't seem to want to help me, maybe I'm putting the wrong stuff in..)
Oh, and if anyone has any photos..?

Thanks

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Hull Sanitorium?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 17:34 BST (UK) »
If you goggle 'sanitorium Cottingham' you get a few hits

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66784

City Hospital (later the Castle Hill Hospital). A hospital for infectious diseases was built in Hedon Road in 1885.  It moved to Cottingham, into newly erected buildings, in 1928. There were 263 beds in 1948 (fn. 406) and 160 in 1963

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Blushing Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks - that's about as much information that I'd been able to find as well.

I also found this:
Hull Sanatorium (later the Castle Hill Sanatorium). A sanatorium at Cottingham was built in 1916. There were 158 beds in 1948 (fn. 414) and 212 in 1963. (fn. 415)

I guess I'm hoping for more information than just 'this was built then', you know? x

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 17:43 BST (UK) »
Records holdings shown here:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/070m/

Records are held at Hull City Archives, which is moving to new premises, so I don't know when you'll be able to see any records
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=49

I tried to get my Grandfather's records a few years ago, but sadly there were none. He was at the Sanatorium though he died at home in 1920, you maybe luckier in that yours are more recent records

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Blushing Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 17:46 BST (UK) »
I shall certainly have a look in the records for him, thanks hon x

I'm hoping to find more about the place itself, and pictures, but as you say I may have to wait for the history centre thing to open!

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 18:07 BST (UK) »
Keep goggling!

images here of old and new - wait a while for them to load

http://www.pbase.com/haunted_chipshop/castle_hill_hospital

Offline Blushing Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 21:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks hon xxx
I'll have a look :-)

Offline Blushing Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 21:43 BST (UK) »
You are a bloomin' star!
There are pictures there of the old TB wards, just the sort of thing I was after x

Now, wouldn't it be great to find out if he was actually in ward 15, the TB ward in the photo!

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to find where I put the letter telling me there were no records for my Grandad (misfiled somewhere I think!)

I found a letter he sent to my Grandma while he was there, which gives a bit of an idea of what things were like.  He had told the Dr he was tired of bed, so he was allowed to get up for an hour that afternoon, so he sunbathed outside.  One of the other patients said he was the most marvellous case in the hospital, as he had seen him running up the veranda in the middle of the night (to go to the W.C!). However he finishes the letter by saying he would write more but was aching all over.

He died of TB in 1920, aged 34  :(

Barbara