Author Topic: SHERRIFF family,Warks,Notts,Staffs,Derby  (Read 33596 times)

Offline flumpit2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SHERRIFF family,Warks,Notts,Staffs,Derby
« on: Tuesday 01 September 09 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all,i wondered if anyone was related to the Sherriff family from Warks & surrounding areas?My family line goes Reginald Sherriff B:1921 Warks...Matthew Sherriff B:1880 staffs m Annie Morgan 1900 Warks...Abraham Sherriff 1851 Chester m Delilah Smith 1850...William Sherriff 1814 Redditch m Mary Ann Tracey Boswell 1806 Leicestershire...Edward Sherriff abt1779 m Mary Hart ...George Sherriff m Susannah Palmer.

I have read the Henry Dry Bread book & its given me some great info but unfortunatly none of me direct descendants are mentioned so it seems there was a parting of the ways with Henrys g g grandad Hope & his brother (my ggg grandad Abraham).

I have scoured the internet for any info but seem to of drawn a blank as the Sherrriff family isnt well documented.I know that my Grandad was still traveling with his family until around 1930 when they moved into a house in Staffordshire.

Any info is greatly apprechiated!!
Thanks for reading.
Shaz :O)
SHERRIFF,Warwickshire,Staffordshire,Derbyshire

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: SHERRIFF family,Warks,Notts,Staffs,Derby
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hyah, Flumpit2. Interesting that ye mention ye Grandad Sherriff went into brick, in the 1930's. Only, according to Bob Dawson's book, that name fizzled out, amongst travelling Gypsys, around 1995. Maybe ye've recorded the trend there?

Prior to that? Yeppers. It was recorded in the counties ye mention, and more. He does indicate its occurrence was intermittent though.

Funnily enough, as a Pest Controller, the name Sheriff is now synonymous, to me, with 'Bee Suits'. Theirs are just about the industry standard. But, those Sheriff's are based in Cornwall.

GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline vince smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Probably of no consequence flumpit2, but my Grt Grt Gran was a Dinah Sherrif from the North West .  She was the wife of one Othea Boswell.  Her children used both the names Boswell and Sherrif.  If you look on Romany Genes, you will see a photo of John Sherrif, who was the Brother of my Grt Grandad, Lavina Boswell.

The lady who posts on here as An65, imformed me that the Sherrif and Boswell names, were along with Boss, pretty much interchangeable.

This family frequented the counties that you mention.

Offline davesherriff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 October 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
hi i dont know if im part of this family do u know if abraham had any gransons also what was his sons name its just ive found a cousin and she asked about abraham as it was the name of my dad and her dads grandad thats y im askin i about abrahams son

Offline flumpit2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 09 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,to the best of my knowledge Abraham had 1 son Matthew & 2 daughters Myra & Louisa.Im not saying that there wernt more children tho as 3 seems quite a small number for a gypsy family but i havent found anymore as of yet.Abrahams grandchildren on Matthews side are Reginald,Matthew,Alfred,Dennis and Bella.I havent yet managed to find out who Myra & Louisa were married to or about Children yet.
Abraham was one of 14 children (Alfred,Francis,Oati,Joseph,William,Perrin,Thomas,Matilda,Uriah,Loreni,Eldri,Mary & Hope being the other 13).
I have a family tree on Ancestory if you send me ur email addy i will send you an invite to it so you can see for urself if ur part of this family.My name on Ancestory is shazza_3197 & the trees called Sherriff (Romany Gypsy) Family Tree.

Offline davesherriff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 October 09 20:44 BST (UK) »
my email addy is (*) my dad was called kenneth he had 2 brothers 1 was peter and i forget the other im nt sure if it was george my middle name is alfred i was told i was named after my grandad we r romany fam

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline davesherriff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 October 09 20:51 BST (UK) »
my grandad musta bin born around 1870s if this helps my grandad was born in burton at wetmore road but his birth wasnt registered

Offline gemini250554

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Grandma Phyllis Smith nee Holland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 October 09 22:21 BST (UK) »
You can contact me if you wish, (*)

My name is Julie Sherriff, that is my birth name.

My father is XXXX
His brothers were XXXX

Their parents were Alfred Sherriff c1894
And
Emily Smith b3/09/1899

Emily’s parents were Peter Smith b1879 Stapenhill B-o-T  &
Phylis Holland b1879 Derby.

This is were the problems start

My father told me Grand dad Alfred was born in Wetmore Road, Burton-on-Trent.

I can trace two Alfred Sherriffs but none seem to match and he said Alfred’s father was called Abraham who was married to Maria. The only Abraham I can find means he was in his 40’s when he had Alfred. I wonder if this is feasible.

If you have any questions or info do not hesitate to contact me.

(*) Moderator Comment: details of possible living people and e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat policy.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Sherriff, Smith, Holland,
Uttoxeter, Worcs, Staffordshire, Midlands.

Offline flumpit2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 October 09 14:41 BST (UK) »
davesherriff & gemini250554,i have sent you both invites to my family tree on Ancestory so that you can both have a look & see if you think you might be part of my family.Hope so as would be nice to add more relatives!!  ;D