Author Topic: SHERRIFF family,Warks,Notts,Staffs,Derby  (Read 33595 times)

Offline flyguy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHERRIFF family,Warks,Notts,Staffs,Derby
« Reply #27 on: Monday 05 July 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
sorry, it was my great grandfather not gg grandfather, Thomas Holland, sorry to mislead, he was married to Violet Annie Haywood in 1897, regards Glynn
(attatchment: Thomas Holland and Violet Annie Haywood)

Offline gemini250554

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Grandma Phyllis Smith nee Holland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
What a lovely picture, thanks for sharing it...Now I have something interesting here, I have checked my paper work, Isaiah Holland and Matilda Sherriff had I think 6 children,  Phyllis ( my gr grandmother ), Thomas ( your gr grandfather) Benjamin, Isaiah, William and Beatrice, actually Beatrice married an Arthur Samuel Haywood.  So to me looks like the Haywoods for travellers too, they did marry into family...
Sherriff, Smith, Holland,
Uttoxeter, Worcs, Staffordshire, Midlands.

Offline flyguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 08 July 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
 According to family records  Isaiah and Matilda had another four children ,  Vera , Adelaide,Jonas,and  Henry all   the information i have  leads me to think they travelled the same root having 10 children in approx 17years,the places Isaiah plyed his  trade as a brass brazier and cutler included   Rugeley,  Stoke,Brailsford,  Litchfield , Uttoxetter,Abbots Bromley,Hanbury,and Church Gresley   
                      Regards  Glynn

Offline gemini250554

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 08 July 10 20:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, I do believe your are right, my grandparents lived for a while at the Park overseal, I was brought up in Linton, my other grandmother lived in Castle Gresley, I have records that I have found too, that coincided with what you are telling me, I still have cousins living in Burton, plus my dad in Winshill....he is the last brother alive out of 4 from the marriage of Phyliss's daughter to my grand dad....my tree is growing really good....I have Isaiah and Matilda has having 12 children...the most interesting part in my tree is Matilda was a Sherriff, she had Phyllis, Phyllis had Emily, ( my grandma) and she married a Sherriff.....so I am confused as to the Sherriff line, and that is the one I am most interested in.....

Thanks for getting back in touch....If you want to know anything and I can help, you only have to ask.....

regards Julie

Offline flyguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 10 July 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
Just a bit of information that might help. A family of Sherriff's and a family of Holland's were camped at the outwoods in Burton when an incident took place involving three of the Sherriff's son's in the early 1900's. The lads were poaching on farmland when the farmer caught them, a fight started and the farmer and his son were chased off. The farmer came back with the local policeman and the fight continued, later the policeman died of his injuries. Hope Sherriff and Arkless Holland were later arrested for aiding the escape of the Sherriff lads.

regards Glynn

Offline gemini250554

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 10 July 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information, very interesting....so do you have your tree published anywhere, I have mine on ancestory.co.uk....I am interested as to how you come into my tree, I know your gr grandfather, just wondered if I knew anymore of your family.   regards Julie, you could email me....

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 July 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I have recently come across the name of Sherriff in a tree that I am researching on behalf of someone else although the information was originally given to me by someone on another site.

I am doing a tree primarily centred round the Hodgkins family who travelled in Worcs area and I've just linked a Patience Holland to them somehow.

Now, Patience (1794, Crayton) was apparently married first to a Thomas Hodgkins and had at least  one son called Thomas (1821, Hillton, Leics) who married Unity (1820, Whittaker, Warks).  Patience then married a Jonas Holland (1806, Tate Brook, Warks) and they had John, Joseph, Henry, Isaac, Jacob, Patience and Ezekiah.

There is a 1861 census at Bloxwich, Staffs which list Patience and Jonas Holland plus 16 other people but it's a heck of a confusing census list because only 5 of the total of 18 people have a Relationship noted for them.  Jonas is Head, Patience is Wife, Thomas Hodgkins is 'Son of Patience', John Holland is 'Son of Patience' and then Unity is described as 'Wife of Thomas Hodgkins'.  The rest of them have no description at all ans none of them are in much order of age or connection so it's very difficult to work out who is who.

Now then....    in 1881 there is a census recorded in Great Barr, Staffs in Travelling Vans.

Apart from a couple of Holland families mentioned, there is also a register of a John Sherriff (1848) as Head abiding with Patience Holland listed as Grandmother.  Now, I've traced this John Sherriff down as a son of Jonas Sherriff (1819) and Jane ?? (1822).

What I don't know is the following...

Was Patience's maiden name Sherriff and this is a son she had before she married her first husband Thomas Hodgkins (he's older than the son I have registered to them as being born in 1821 so it is possible) or was he another son of her union with Thomas but just took her maiden name.  Or was John's mother Jane a daughter of Patience and she then married a Sherriff.

Another possible Sherriff I have is Catherine (1800) married to Joseph Hodgkins (1781, Tredington, Worcs).  I say 'possible' because the person who gave me the initial link to Sherriffs and Hodgkins believes that she was a Sherriff but I have nothing so far to back up his theory. 

Joseph and Catherine had, amongst others, Job Hodgkins (1827, Exhall, Warks) who married Trainnet Hodgkins (1825, Tannot, Warks) and this is the line that I'm following for direct descendants.  The connection between these two Sherriffs is that John Holland (1828, Braunton, Warks) s/o Jonas Holland & Patience married Sarah Hodgkins (1824, Braunton, Warks) d/o Joseph Hodgkins and Catherine which makes both mothers possible Sherriffs.

I can't see that any of these names fit in with the names already mentioned on this thread but I was hoping that someone could throw a light on the subject if they are connected to their lines in any way.

Paternal family names: Lee & Smith
Maternal family names: Hollis, Lambert, Donaghue & Osborne.

Offline gemini250554

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 July 10 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I have read your information, some of it sounds familiar to me but you see so many names when you are researching...I am sure I have some info on Patience Holland, I will look through my paperwork and get back to you.....

Regards Julie

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 July 10 23:55 BST (UK) »
@  gemini250554

Thanks for such a quick response and I would be immensely grateful for anything you can add

Scally
Paternal family names: Lee & Smith
Maternal family names: Hollis, Lambert, Donaghue & Osborne.