Author Topic: SHERRIFF family,Warks,Notts,Staffs,Derby  (Read 33594 times)

Offline flumpit2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHERRIFF family,Warks,Notts,Staffs,Derby
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look at the tree?Do you recognise anyone in it?
SHERRIFF,Warwickshire,Staffordshire,Derbyshire

Offline gemini250554

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Grandma Phyllis Smith nee Holland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
I don't recognised anyone I will upload some pics, I don't have many. My grandparents lived in an old bus up to the 70's I think. I used to travel with my parents to Evesham every year plum or pea picking with the rest of the travellers in the late 50's early 60's.  By the way, Dave Sherriff and myself are cousins, his dad and my dad were brothers.
Sherriff, Smith, Holland,
Uttoxeter, Worcs, Staffordshire, Midlands.

Offline flumpit2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 October 09 21:39 BST (UK) »
My grandad use to go to Evesham with his family when he was young.
Just because you dont recognise any1 in my tree,you could still be family.As you can see,iv only really concentrated on my direct line.To be honest,id be suprised if your not related some where along the line as the name Sherriff is not that common,exspecially in the Romany lines.
Let me know any info you have about your family & il see if i can place them in my tree somewhere.
Shaz
SHERRIFF,Warwickshire,Staffordshire,Derbyshire

Offline gemini250554

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Grandma Phyllis Smith nee Holland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi flumpit2, I have been delving into all my paperwork, I think now maybe, we are related. You mention Abraham being 1 of 14 children, I'm not sure but I suspect Matilda is my ancester. I think she married Isaiah Holland and had a daughter Phyllis ( my great grandmother )

Julie
Sherriff, Smith, Holland,
Uttoxeter, Worcs, Staffordshire, Midlands.

Offline Kilmschene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 November 09 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I've decided that I would love to trace my Romany roots. My granddad lived as a Romany when he was younger. I am actually a 1/4 Romany and want to find out if I have any relations still living the Romany lifestyle. My granddad was Peter Sherriff. My mum's name is Julie Sherriff. I think my granddad lived in Burton. Can anyone help or advise as to the best place to start looking.

Thanx

Offline davesherriff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 November 09 22:17 GMT (UK) »
i have an uncle XXX he has a daughter called XXX if yes to either then im still a relative uncle XXX lives in winshill in burton

Moderator comment: as noted above - details of living people will be removed.  Please don't post them but use the PM system to exchange such information.  Thanks

Offline davesherriff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 November 09 22:21 GMT (UK) »
 :-\

Offline Kilmschene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 November 09 09:40 GMT (UK) »
No, Sherriff is my mum's maiden name. I've attached a photograph that I acquired last night and a low res jpeg of a family tree that I acquired last night.

Thanx

Scott

Moderator comment: tree removed as it contains details of living people - see notes above - please use the PM system instead.

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shaz

I just came across your message - I am related to your Abraham Sherriff, he was my gggg-uncle. I am descended from his elder brother, Joseph. Joseph married Eliza Hodgkinson and settled down in Uttoxeter.

I have read Henry Dry-Bread and The Boswell Family book and do wonder about some of the info in there - it doesn't all quite add up. One thing that was suggested to me, and I'm starting to think is possible, is that William Sherriff's parents may not have been Edward and Mary, but instead a William Sherriff and Elizabeth (possibly Elizabeth Claydon/Clayton).

I have a webpage here with more info - see what you think:

http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/hodgkins.html

Here are some newspaper clippings I picked up recently concerning an Abraham Sherriff...

The Derby Mercury 5 Apr 1885 mentions an Abraham Sherriff, along with William Johnson aka Billy Redman, involved in a fracas with William Eley, mentions brother as being ‘Gipsy Jack’, previosuly charged with a stabbing.

Derby Mercury of 27 Nov 1895 mentions an Abraham Sherriff and Israel Draper aka Cornelius Colbourne, charged with taking six rabbits and attacking the snare watcher on the land of Philip Hanson at Radbourne on 1 Nov.

Derby Mercury of 28 Feb 1900 mentions “Abraham Sherriff, gipsy, hawker’ summoned for allowing his horses to stray on the highway at Cubley and also for encamping there".

best wishes - Garen

PS - just checking some old emails, I'm wondering if your husband already contacted me back in Aug 2008?

Hi all,i wondered if anyone was related to the Sherriff family from Warks & surrounding areas?My family line goes Reginald Sherriff B:1921 Warks...Matthew Sherriff B:1880 staffs m Annie Morgan 1900 Warks...Abraham Sherriff 1851 Chester m Delilah Smith 1850...William Sherriff 1814 Redditch m Mary Ann Tracey Boswell 1806 Leicestershire...Edward Sherriff abt1779 m Mary Hart ...George Sherriff m Susannah Palmer.

I have read the Henry Dry Bread book & its given me some great info but unfortunatly none of me direct descendants are mentioned so it seems there was a parting of the ways with Henrys g g grandad Hope & his brother (my ggg grandad Abraham).

I have scoured the internet for any info but seem to of drawn a blank as the Sherrriff family isnt well documented.I know that my Grandad was still traveling with his family until around 1930 when they moved into a house in Staffordshire.

Any info is greatly apprechiated!!
Thanks for reading.
Shaz :O)
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/