Author Topic: Chaloner family  (Read 24007 times)

Offline challo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chaloner family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi mr pinkwhistle.
I am a descendant of thomas 1780, I have gone back as far as john chaloner abt 1695 married to margaret williams 1694/95 and I think I have the fathers of both,timothy chaloner and john williams, have you any more info on them.

regards
challinor/chaloner/chalinor,hawarden,holt,flintshire

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 13:11 BST (UK) »
I hope this helps.John chaloners father was Timothy Chaloner and mother was Ann.Timothy was born in 1667 and he and Ann married on the 6th May 1703.Timothy's father was John Chaloner(spelt Chaleneur) who was born 1640 and mother was Debra Brettorgh born 1645.They were married in 1667 in Chester,Cheshire.The Thomas born 1780 whom you talk about married Elizabeth Ellis on the 8th October 1824.He died in Rosett on the 2nd March 1853.Elizabeth was born 1785 and she also died in 1871 in Rosett.I hope this helps.If you need anything else let me know.Kind Regards.

Offline FeteFatale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census, what Census?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 December 13 06:36 GMT (UK) »
My Challenor line stretches to Edward, born in Gresford, around 1747. Two sons, Edward (1786-) and David (1784- my 4*great grandfather) were transported to Van Diemans's Land in 1833. I'd like to trace the family back further, and find links to other descent lines. Locations of interest are Chester environs, wider Cheshire, Staffordshire, Denbighshire & Flintshire. Of course I'd love to find what happened to the transported brothers but the trail runs cold in the 1840's.
Challenor, Heylands, Humberstone, Huxley, Kirkham, Langridge, Lloyd, Merriott, Oliver, Phoenix, Tiltson, Williamson

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 December 13 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Edward and David Chaloner were eventually pardoned and interestingly someone was trying to find them in 1876 I think in the Police Gazette in Australia under missing persons. I came across them in the criminal records and I was seeing if they were linked to the Chaloners from Holt but there seemed to be no link to that line. I will have a look and see what else I have got for you as I kept some of the records just incase. I will do it tomorrow.
Kind Regards

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 12:53 GMT (UK) »
For the person interested in Edward Chaloner who was transported to Australia along with his brother from Denbighshire (born 1782) he was convicted of sheep stealing and sentenced to life .He was convicted on the 16th March 1833 at Ruthin. He was initially transferred to the Prison Hulk Ship The Justitia at Woolwich and was then transported on the 11th July 1833 aboard the Isabella to Van Diemens Land. After nearly fourteen years he was released on a ticket of leave and it was said he was a person on good conduct. On the 28th June 1876 in the New South Wales Gazette somebody was appealing for his whereabouts via the police on page 202.They believed he died 10  years previously. From what I can see he died in Victoria around 1871. I will send more information about David Challenor shortly.

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 13:03 GMT (UK) »
A bit more information regarding Edward and David Chaloner-David Chaloner was also convicted at Ruthin on the 16th March 1833 after being convicted for receiving stolen goods-the sheep.His trial along with his brother was in Lent 1833.Like his brother he was then transferred to the Prison Hulk Ship The Justitia and then transferred to the Isabella which set voyage on the 11th July 1833 to Van Diemens Land. David received a ticket of leave and pardon between 41 and 42 and his conduct was listed as good. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards.

Offline FeteFatale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census, what Census?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I now have records of conviction in 1819 (David), although not the circumstances, and I have convictions (along with accomplice David Roberts), Justicia in Woolwich, Isabella to VDL Jul-Nov 1833, three convict musters, Tickets of Leave ('41 & '42) and pardons ('42 & '47). The Edward "Challnor" death in '61, Vic. is as close to finding anything that matches both Edward and the Police Gazette notice.

As far as the rest of their families - I have substantial info on their sister Christina Challenor Richardson's descendants, and both David's wife Jane Tiltson's ancestors, and their [only child] son James' descendants - which include me.

Missing info on Edward's wife and daughters [ignoring infant death of son] - all I have is unsourced names and dates ... ditto for Edward and David's parents.

My main interest in David is his history pre 1819 and post 1842 - the circumstances of his trial for Murder/manslaughter and if there was any sign of him in the Aust. colonies after his pardon.
Challenor, Heylands, Humberstone, Huxley, Kirkham, Langridge, Lloyd, Merriott, Oliver, Phoenix, Tiltson, Williamson

Offline DickC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 December 14 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I'd be grateful if someone could tell me the sources for their conclusion that Timothy Chalinor is John Challinor's father. This lead to Debra Brettorgh is an important one as her surname has been misread. It should be Brettargh. Her father is a James Brettargh and his family is easy to trace back to Elizabethan times. The Brettarghs are an old well established family from Little Woolton near Liverpool with roots well into the Middle Ages.

Offline DickC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 December 14 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Further to my last, as mentioned, I would be grateful for some firm evidence that Timothy is the father of the John Challinor, who married Margaret Williams. There are at least three possible fathers for this John. The first being the baptism of John to father Timothy in Chester on 1 Jan 1695, the second being the baptism of John in Bulmer to father John on 5 Jul 1698, and the third being the baptism to father John in Middlewich on 31 Dec 1695. (Bulmer is only about 10 miles from Holt). I would be thrilled if we could prove the link to Debra Brettargh as this this would open a link to Medieval families, but we need to get this right.