Author Topic: Linehan/Thompson  (Read 5530 times)

Offline dopeydotty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Linehan/Thompson
« on: Tuesday 01 September 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
hi I'm new on here and hope I am on the right site. Forgive me if I'm not. I'm trying to trace any ancestors in Cork. My grandmother was Ellen Thompson nee Linehan.My grandfather was Andrew Thompson. I found them on the 1911 census. Grandad 28 Nan 25. Margaret Thompson my mum was 2. They lived in Roches Buildings Cork. I need to know what part, I presume it's Cork City but have no idea what it is near. I know my grandad worked for the Cork Harbour Commisioners. I did hear a story that my Great Grandad was Norwegian as the Whaling fleet often stayed in  that area. Any help would be greatly appeciated. Thanks

Offline mazzm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Linehan/Thompson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Click on the link below or paste it into the address line and it will take you to a page on Roches buildings.  This area would be close to the port of Cork.

http://www.stpatrickscork.com/rochesbuildings.html
Walsh, Buckley, McCarthy, Chute, Donovan

Offline liz49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 March 15 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Im very new to this but saw this by pure chance
The Andrew Thompson who is your grandfather was born in Cork so was his sister Theresa He did marry Ellen Linehan daughter of John Linehan on 24th June 1909 @ St Patricks Church the service performed by curate J O'Regan
In the 1901 census your Grandfather Andrew was living with his widowed mother Hannah
I have been trying with some success to research this link in Cork
Im very interested in your great grandfather Andrew Thompson senior who was married twice and had several children at least 4 who died young.
Andrew Thompson senior was a mariner but I can not locate him in Ireland at all so your family story of Norway could be a link to explore.
Any advice information would be most helpful

Offline liz49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 April 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi to anyone who can help I tried the orginial post but as it was some years ago maybe the interest has gone
liz 49

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 April 15 00:01 BST (UK) »
If I'm reading your post correctly
This Hannah Thompson
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/North_East_Ward/Lower_Glanmire_Road/1102260/
Was the second wife of Andrew Thompson.
Andrew and Hannah had a son Andrew
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__4_Urban__part_of_/Roches_Buildings/388783/

Do you know the name of Andrew's first wife?
Do you know the names of his other children?
Did he and Hannah have only one child, Andrew?

Offline liz49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 April 15 08:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response
Andrew Thompson married had a daughter Theresa and 3 other children who died in infancy and as yet I have no names,
Andrews father Andrew senior was married to Margaret and they had John Thompson in 1856 / 7 he is my link
If you have any info I would so appreciate this as I can not find a birth for Andrew senior and the family story of the dopeydotty seems plausible
regards Liz49

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 April 15 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response
Andrew Thompson married had a daughter Theresa and 3 other children who died in infancy and as yet I have no names,
Andrews father Andrew senior was married to Margaret and they had John Thompson in 1856 / 7 he is my link
If you have any info I would so appreciate this as I can not find a birth for Andrew senior and the family story of the dopeydotty seems plausible
regards Liz49

Sorry I can't follow this at all.

Offline liz49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 April 15 08:43 BST (UK) »
Which bit is confusing
Liz 49

Offline liz49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 April 15 08:51 BST (UK) »
Dopeydotty was the orginal posting that I was replying too as it seemed he / she was related to Andrew junior and stated that family stories said Andrew senior was from Norway

Andrew Thompson senior was married to Hannah  they had two children who lived - Theresa and Andrew junior and three who died I have no names for them
This was Andrew's second marriage - his first was to Margaret Mahon and there were 3 children John Peter, Mary and John my link into this family.

Hope this is a little clearer liz 49