Author Topic: BLIZZARD family in Ashill/Rushford/Thetford  (Read 7833 times)

Offline Shaezy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BLIZZARD family in Ashill/Rushford/Thetford
« on: Wednesday 02 September 09 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I am trying to trace my BLIZZARD (possibly Blizard) family around the Rushford/Thetford area. Currently I can track back to George Blizzard (b 1812 Ashill, Norfolk; d 1890 Stanley, Tasmania, Australia) and Pheobe Blake (b 1814 Barningham, Suffolk; d 1897 Stanley, Tasmania, Australia). They married in 1833 and had John, James, Louisa, David, William, George, Eliza, Harriet and another James, and emigrated to Australia in 1858 on the Trade Winds, where they settled in Tasmania. The second James is my gr.gr.grandfather.

Primarily, I am trying to find George's parents and some record of his birth.  I believe George's parents to be John Blizzard (possibly b 1794; d 1879) and Elizabeth Leech (no info at all) but cannot confirm this in any way.

I would also be interested in any information on a building or place called Sparrow Hall in Rushford, Thetford. According to the 1851 Census George and his family resided here at number 36. I would most grateful for any information that may be available about the area.

Thanks for reading!

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: BLIZZARD family in Ashill/Rushford/Thetford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 10:13 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Rootschat  ;D

The name Blizzard is familiar to Suffolk residents as Bob Blizzard is a fairly high profile Member of Parliament, representing the Waveney Valley constituency.
http://www.bob-blizzard.co.uk/

I have looked at Rushford in the 1844 White's for Suffolk (it is included as it is within the Blackbourne Hundred).

The main properties in the parish at that time were Shadwell Lodge, the elegant seat of Sir Robert Jacob Buxton, Bt.
It also mentions that all the parish belongs to Sir Robert  ::)
John Cooke is farming at College Farm
Robert Ringer is at Rushford Lodge

No mention of Sparrow Hall.

I will check the 1855 copy to see if any mention in there.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
I have just checked the image for the 1851 census and George and his family are at Sparrow Hall in the parish of EUSTON.

The number 36 refers to the number of properties visited by the enumerator, not the address of the Blizzard family.

There is no mention of Sparrow Hall in White's 1844, but the name may not mean a large handsome house, many farmhouses were called 'Hall'.

In 1844 there were only 270 people in the whole of the parish, including the farm/hamlet of Rymer House.

The Duke of Grafton still lives in the Hall and Lady Grafton is very involved with our local Hospice in West Suffolk.

http://www.eustonhall.co.uk/

You may be able to find Sparrow Hall on an old map www.old-maps.co.uk

Pat ...
l
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 10:41 BST (UK) »
Just noticed that on the original image of the census return is written

Sparrow Hall

'Divided into two cottages'

the other half is occupied by Mr Gout a wood rieve and his family

Pat ...
I have to find two more!

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 11:02 BST (UK) »
Found Sparrow Hall as it is today

It is on the northern side of the large estate grounds of Euston Hall, so it would appear that your family were agricultural workers on the estate of the Duke of Grafton.

Today it looks like a farmhouse and outbuildings, and is situated along a track, not a proper road.

One of my Local History Recorders is at Euston and he is now helping with records of the house and estate, having been diligently recording for the parish for some time.

I can PM you the details of how to contact him if you wish.

Pat ...
Hon Recorders' Secretary
Suffolk Local History Council

I have to find two more!

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 11:16 BST (UK) »
Really must get on with some housework and get Dad up !!!

I have checked the image pages before and after the page with the Blizzard family and they are all estate workers and I can locate the locations where they are living on a modern Ordnance Survey map of the area, there are Farm Bailiffs and gardeners and carpenters and such dwellings as Park House and Temple.

Pat ...
I have to find two more!

Offline Shaezy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat, thank you so much for all your replies!!

Your reading of the census makes mch more sense (the divided cottage etc) and I am so very excited you have given me this information!

I would love the details of your recorder working at Euston Hall please, that would be wonderful!

You have just made my day!

Shae

PS I also emailed Bob Blizzard earlier today but he did not know any connection..

Offline ellenmol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Shaezy,
I too am descended from George Blizzard and Phoebe Blake and am researching them.  Last year in September my mum and I went to visit Ashill and had a look in church graveyard but couldn't find any Blizzards there.  We also went to Euston Suffolk and saw the gates to Euston Hall but as it is a private estate were not able to look any further.   Where is the Rushford connection? I don't think I have come across that place in my research. 
Blizzard, Smedley, Whitbread. Wyllie, Robertson, Coleman, Byres, Scolyer, Heald, Barker, Macrow, Sirkett, Peters, Molloy, Drew

Offline Shaezy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi ellenmol,

When I first found Sparrow Hall on the 1851 Census, I googled it and found a business that listed it's address there, and it was under "Rushford". I am not hugely familiar with the area, so I just listed it in case it rang bells with anyone else researching Blizzard in the area.

How are you related to George and Phoebe? Their son James is my gr.gr.grandfather.

From what I can gather, they were the only Blizzards in that particular area and (I think) the entire family immigrated to Australia in 1858. I'm stuck on their parents though, but I *believe* George's parents were from a different area, possibly around Middlesex. I'm not 10% though.

If you wouldn't mind, are you able to share your info so far with me please? I'm happy to give you whatever I have also.

Thanks for your response! And I'm thoroughly jealous you have been able to go and have a look around....

Shaezy