Author Topic: Whiting family  (Read 15134 times)

Offline Ellesse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whiting family
« on: Wednesday 02 September 09 21:29 BST (UK) »
I have documents showing John Ernest Whiting (born abt 1880) marrying Mary Ellen Bishton (born abt 1887) on 19 March 1908 at The Paris Church, Darnall, Sheffield.  The marriage certificate gives John Whiting as the father of John Ernest, but I cannot verify this as I don't seem to be able to find a birth certificate/record for a John Ernest in 1880.  The family ran a fairground and wintered in Sheffield on Penistone Road.  This is my father's family, so that bit I am certain about.  But it gets fuzzy as to who my great grandfather is.  I can find a Samuel Whiting with a son John born 1883 in Chesterfield and a William Whiting with a son John born 1880 in Chesterfield.  As I'm not sure where my grandfather came from, I feel quite stumped really.  John Ernest died in 1946 and I've been to his grave in Darnall, Sheffield and I am hoping to go to the Sheffield Fairground Archives later this month to look at the 1946 Worlds Fair to see if that shed any light on anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline pat1995

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Whiting family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 July 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am  researching the Whiting family as my fathers family were  travelling show people and were related in some way to the Whitings. I have some info that I can share with about them, such as obituries that I have found in the paper. My fathers mothers name was Partridge and his g grandfather had a swing boat and used to travel the fairs.

Offline Ellesse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 July 10 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat
I'd love to see the info you've got as I'm having real problems with researching the Whiting side of my family.  My grandad Whiting had a Speedway ride, but I'm pretty sure that I remember my mum talking about one of the family having swing boats.  When I see her this weekend I'll ask her. 

Offline wales0706

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a Samuel Whiting in my tree with son John Whiting , they were travelling show people and they had swingboats. Samuel married Hannah Hoult.  :)
Bath, Holt, Calladine, Cox, Gorin(g), Skyrme, barnes, Coles.

Offline pat1995

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
I also have that info, my relatives are also Partridge, Calladine, Hoult and Hallam, and some others, they are all related in some way. I have a couple of obituries for the Whiting side mentioned are the Partridge family.

I am new to this site so not sure how to post an email address to exchange info.

Offline wales0706

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
looking at your name I think we are all ready in touch through another site and we have each others emails.
 :)

Offline pat1995

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 18:03 BST (UK) »
Did I share the info then??? Not sure who you are!!!

Offline wales0706

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 18:07 BST (UK) »
I will email the address I have see if its you.  he he ;)

Offline Ellesse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 October 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
I'm still trying to trace my great grandfather John Ernest Whiting.  It now appears that he came from Deptford, London and was born in 1880.  Cannot find a link to Samuel Whiting and Hannah Hoult or John Whiting from the Manchester area who was a well known fairground proprietor.