Author Topic: John Bell BENNETT  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Pennmack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Bell BENNETT
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 October 12 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi angel2947
John Bell Bennett and Maria Brown are also my GG Grandparents. I have heaps of information about Maria but have been unable to find anything about JB and his ancestors. Would you be willing to share anything you have?
Cheers!

Offline angel2947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 October 12 07:38 GMT (UK) »
    Hi, I will share any and all information with you  cuz. do you live in adelaide ?  My name is Deanna and my g.grand mother was catherine terrasa bennett. Let me know if you want to meet. Regards Deanna.

Offline Pennmack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 October 12 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deanna.
No I don't live in Adelaide. I live in Mount Gambier.
I'm descended from John Michael (Bell) Bennett who married Elizabeth (McGregor).
I do get to Adelaide occasionally so maybe we can meet sometime. Its usually school holidays. I have lots of information about Maria and her ancestors as I found a cousin who was descended from one of her sisters and we shared the cost of researching her branch back in Yorkshire.
I don't have anything on JB Bennett though. All I know is that he came from Cork in Ireland and thats about it. I don't know when or how...
Cheers!
Penne

Offline angel2947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Penne, our g.g.grandfather john bell bennett,[and there are a couple more john bell bennett's] whils't on a visit to adelaide at easter 1926 died. he was 91. he came out from irland as a lad.and successfully lived in adelaide,kadina,kapunda and then became one of the pioneer settlers of the south east. it is said he was the owner of mayurra station, now famous for wagoo beef i will go to state records and try to confirm this. wnen he was 90 he went back to ileland and he was still very with it. he also owned moy hall estate. his eldest daughter mary kain  lived in victoria,my g.g.mother became a barker and lived in narracoorte, william also lived in narracoorte,james in adelaide,edward in melbourne,patrick in naracoorte,[long story there] i'll tell you when we meet,ellen nash,millicent, and 5 others. what good breaders we catholics are.speaking of churches in mt. gambier,  most of the children where christened at the main church there, can't remember the name of the church.g john &g.maria were married at st.john's church kapunda  and a couple of their children were christened there. do you know of a christopher annear in mt. gambier? he is related to me. Regards Deanna

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Here is an obit to John Bell Bennett (not sure if it says he is 91 or 94)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/cite/2429525/46502761

He says he is 93 earlier in the year when he sues his son Patrick
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article55027519
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article73645608

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Pennmack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Deanna.
It is good to know when JB went back to Ireland the second time as I've been trying to find him on a boat list so I can work out where he went. I was at Moyhall on the weekend and was able to see the land he bought on the estate. I'm still to find out if Bellview still exists. That is where Maria died.
The catholic church in Mount Gambier is called St Josephs. Did you know that St Johns near Kapunda no longer exists. I went there for a visit but it had been cleared away.
On Maria's death certificate it said she had 14 children but I have only been able to find 12 (maybe 13). Do you have a list of all the children.
Is there a way we can email privately???
Cheers!
Penne

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Penne,
   Now that you have made 3 posts you can send personal messages to deanna by clicking on the little green scroll under her username

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline progenitor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deanna and Penne,

My Grandfather was Baden Bell Bennett, G.Grandfather Edmund Bell Bennett, G.G.Grandfather John Bell Bennett.
I would love to learn what information you've found out about Maria Brown and John Bell Bennett.
Have you found out the importance of the family name Bell?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Susan

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
The Advertiser  13 Apr 1926
OBITUARY.
Mr. John Bell Bennett, whose death, at the age of 94, occurred while on a visit to the city during Easter, was one of the pioneer settlers in the South-East.
He took up a farm there when the lands around Millicent were first drained. He came out from Ireland as a lad, and after living successively in Adelaide, Kapunda and Kadina he went to the South-East where he became a successful farmer and grazier, purchasing in later years land on the Moy Hall estate. A few years ago he paid a short visit to the old country.  He was, until a year or so ago, in possession of all his faculties, and was, for his age, wonderfully active and observant. He left a family of five sons and two daughters, the eldest being Mrs. Kain of Victoria. Other members of the family are  Mrs. C. T. Barker, of Narracoorte and Messrs. William (Narracoorte). James ( Adelaide), Edward (Melbourne.), and Patrick Bennett (Narracoorte). There are also 40 grandchildren, 17 great-grandchildren and 15 great-great-grandchildren.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk