Author Topic: 10th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers  (Read 5299 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
10th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers
« on: Thursday 03 September 09 12:57 BST (UK) »
My grandfather served in the 10th Royal Dublin Fusiliers through the Easter Rising in Dublin and the Ancre on the Somme. He served from their inception, until he was evacuated wounded in Feb 1917.

I would be interested to hear if anyone from this forum has information on the 10th Battalion - I would stress that this topic is only about the 10th Battalion RDF

I have transcribed the War Diaries of 10th Battalion RDF for 1916 and they are available here. They cover from Aug 1916, and do not cover the early months of the Battalion in Dublin.

The two key moments that they had in 1916 were the relief of Dublin Castle at Easter 1916, and the "Push" at the Ancre in Nov 1916. What I would like to find is reminisces from other families who may have recorded what their ancestors had to say about these events from the perspective of the RDF.

I am sensitive to Irish history, and have studied in depth more than most, so can any posters try to restrain from political comment on these events and on the RDF involvement!

Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Buzancy18

• RootsChat Member
  • Lest we Forget
    • View Profile
Re: 10th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 September 09 16:34 BST (UK) »
Only info I can add is the entry in Brigadier James British Regiments.

10th (Service) Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers
Formed at Dublin at the end of 1915. August 1916 to England at Pirbright Barracks. 19th August 1916 landed at Havre. To 190 Brigade in 63rd Division. 23rd June 1917 to 48 Brigade in 16th Irish Division. 24th October 1917 absorbed surplus personnel from 8th and 9th Battalion RDF. 15th February 1918 disbanded in France.

Buzancy18
Girdwood, Fergusson, Graham, Porteous, Watson, Donaldson,

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 09 16:44 BST (UK) »
Buzancy18

Thanks for that, I had in fact found that quote, it is one of the few bits of information that exist on the 10th RDF.

Rightly or wrongly I believe that probably the only way forward is by personal stories that families may hold.

Seems a pity that the egiment should pass into obscurity!  :(
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Buzancy18

• RootsChat Member
  • Lest we Forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 09 16:53 BST (UK) »
I believe there is a Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association - I've seen it mentioned by a contact of mine in Limerick. I'll ask him if you like.
Buzancy18
Girdwood, Fergusson, Graham, Porteous, Watson, Donaldson,

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 09 17:01 BST (UK) »
I believe there is a Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association

Yes there is a Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association, but they do not seem to be too active.

They have a web site here. But it does not have much on it, and refers to their 2008 program.

That web site does enable one to join by posting them a form and some money - but it did not convince me that I wold get anything for my money, or indeed that they had any members!
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline Giraffe21

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 09:17 BST (UK) »
My grandfather too served in the 10th batt RDF and was wounded at the battle of Ancre. He was left on the battlefield amongst the dead until the Bedfordshires were clearing the war dead and a burley Bedfordshire farmer found he was alive and carried him back. Thanks to him I am sat here tying this. We know my grandfather had a friend who he called 'Fitz' who gave him a St. Christopher when they were going in front of the lines together as scouts and snipers. All we know is that he was Irish - my grandfather was not - older than my grandfather (21) and that he died, but don't know if this was in this battle or later. he had been with the RDF for some time. We wonder if it was Michael John Fitzgerald but would be grateful for any thoughts on this.
Any other inf would also be good. Thanks for all your work on the subject.

Offline duffyfarrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Corisande, for all your hard work I am enjoying reading where they were stationed and what was happening at the time, My Grandfather was also in the 10th Battalion.  He signed up in Manchester on the 16th January 1916.  He was appointed to the 10the Commercial Battalion Dublin Fusilier on the 20th April 1916 in Dublin and was one of the lucky ones to come out the other side.  With regards to the Easter Rising he told the story about them stationed at Dublin castle, Their arms were taken from them and they were marched off to Manor Kilbride where they stayed until August.  This was done for fear that they would join the rebellion. 
                                                                                                                                        Letters were sent home during the war years in which he never talked about the war but about what was happening at home and regards to various friends and family however there are two items that may be of interest to you

This one is in reference to his time in Ireland 1916 and the John referred to is a cousin, "Quite a number of our chaps know John, and one or two of them have played with him in the Bohemians".

And in March 1918 he asked for letters to be sent to the following address
"You had better address my letters in future to :- Headquarters, 19th Entrenching Battalion, (10th R.D.F.), B.E.F., Our crowd became an Entrenching Battalion a short time ago owing to exigencies of the service"   Keep up the good work thank you.
McDonnell Mayo
Duffy         Longford
Kelly          Roscommon
Coffee        Manchester
O'Connor   Dublin/ USA/Canada/Australia
Carthy       Drogheda
Mc Carthy  Dublin

Offline duffyfarrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 23:44 GMT (UK) »

While doing a bit more reading I came across this Autobiography of Charles Grant who applied for a commission with the Royal Irish Rifles but ended up with the 10th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers.  You have to go a good bit down the page and there is a great account of the Easter Rising and the encounter at Dublin Castle  here is the link  http://www.grantonline.com/grant-family-individuals/grant-charles-1881/CW-Grant.htm
McDonnell Mayo
Duffy         Longford
Kelly          Roscommon
Coffee        Manchester
O'Connor   Dublin/ USA/Canada/Australia
Carthy       Drogheda
Mc Carthy  Dublin