Author Topic: Elizabeth Prior of Reepham with Kerdiston  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Mark Newman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Prior of Reepham with Kerdiston
« on: Thursday 03 September 09 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looking for a baptism of Elizabeth Prior in Reepham with Kerdiston about 1812 - she is married in 1832 in Foulsham.

Living with them on the 1841 census is a Sophia Prior born about 1832 in Foulsham, and I can't find a baptism for her to see if she is Elizabeth's illegitimate daughter or another connection to the Prior family.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Prior of Reepham with Kerdiston
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 09 10:24 BST (UK) »
I have the CD by the Parish Register Transcription Society which covers the Reepham area and the last Prior birth in the Reepham register is in the year 1805 when a Elizabeth Prior had a base child Martha Hurrell Prior.
I do not know if you are aware of the fact that in the churchyard in which the Reepham with Kerdiston church stands there is also the Whitwell church and the ruins of Hackford by Reepham church and the events wander around from register to register, as an example in the Hackford register the same Elizabeth had another base child  Charles Crispin Prior in 1814 and in 1817 another base child George Pull Prior!! I can find no baptism of a Elizabeth only a Emily Maria Prior in the  Hackford  register in 1812 the daughter of Charles Prior and Mary nee Franklin.
Dennis
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mark Newman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 09 23:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for looking.

My Elizabeth Prior is married in Foulsham in 1832 with a Maria Prior witnessing and in 1841 she is living with a Sophia Prior, born about 1832 in Foulsham.

I can find no records of Sophia Priors, but there are Elizabeth and Maria Prior's in Foulsham, so perhaps she was born in Reepham while her mother was visiting relatives or friends and that was the only time she was ever in Reepham!

Thanks again,

Mark

Offline grandad39

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 November 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
From the Reepham with Kerdiston PRs 1723 to 1817, which I have recently transcribed, there are the following PRIOR baptisms:-( extract from my input file in csv format)
Reepham with Kerdiston,   St. Mary,740,,   22 Nov 1783,Sarah,f,John,Anne,MORRIS,PRIOR,rec'd into church 11 jul 1784.
Reepham with Kerdiston,   St. Mary,789,13 Jun 1786,14 Jun 1786,Anne,f,John,Anne,MORRIS,PRIOR,priv. bapt. Pauper.
Reepham with Kerdiston,   St. Mary,818,19 May 1788,19 May 1788,William,m,John,Anne,MORRIS,PRIOR,priv. bapt.
Reepham with Kerdiston,   St. Mary,852,4 Jun 1790,5 Jun 1790,Anne,f,John,Anne,MORRIS,PRIOR,pauper. Priv. bapt.
Reepham with Kerdiston,   St. Mary,1074,11 Aug 1805,11 Aug 1805,Martha Hurrell,f,,Elizabeth,PRIOR,priv. bapt.

It is interesting to note the last record above shows no father. but does not show child as Base born.
The two dates are birth date (unless blank as with Sarah) and christening date.
May I suggest you look up on FreeReg if you have not tried it.
I will look at burials when I have a moment, see if anything there.
EricB
N.E.Doncaster\ Booker
N.Yorks\ Swale, Stamforth\Stamford
West Yorks-Thornhill\ Fisher.
Norfolk\Gibson.

Offline grandad39

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 November 09 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Interesting!
I have just found that there are 2 baptisms in Reepham with Kerdiston which you may like to speculate on:-
b 28 Nov 1789, ch 29 nov 1789. son Dennis, father Charles PRIOR, mother Elizabeth (nee Hurrell) private bapt. and
b 22 jul 1792, ch 23 Jul 1792. dau Elizabeth, to same parents as above.

I could not find any burials, marriages to Prior or Hurrell in the period of interest.
So, speculate away.....
EricB
N.E.Doncaster\ Booker
N.Yorks\ Swale, Stamforth\Stamford
West Yorks-Thornhill\ Fisher.
Norfolk\Gibson.

Offline Mark Newman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 November 09 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much. The 1790s Elizabeth is too early for mine, but I guess there is a family connection to all of these Priors. It's just a matter of matching them all up. Thanks :)

Offline laurdavies

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 January 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm just getting into family history and saw densavage's reply from a while ago naming Charles Crispin Prior (born in 1814) and a brother George Pull Prior (born in 1817).  I have Charles (mother is Elizabeth) in my family history but no siblings.  Where would I go to get more information to see if George is a brother to the same Charles in my family line?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 January 17 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Norfolk Family History Society Transcriptons
Charles Prior baptized at Hackford with Whitwell near Reepham 25 October 1814 mother Elizabeth Prior, single woman, abode Hackford.
George Pull Prior baptized same church 9 February 1817, mother Elizabeth Prior, single woman, abode Hackford, Illegitimate son.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 January 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Going back to the original request here, whilst I can't pinpoint Elizabeth's baptism I believe I've found one for Sophia bc.1832-3.

A Sophia Prior bp.4/1/1832 Foulsham, dau. of William Gagen (or Gages) and Sophia.

However, this is on FreeReg (and family search) and has been recorded as Sophia Prior Gagen.   FreeReg clearly shows the parents were not married and states that William Gagen is 'the reputed father' and that he was a groom to Cubit Frances.

So, this shows that Sophia Prior with Elizabeth Nicholls in 1841 is not her daughter, but likely her niece, dau. of a sister Sophia - that's now 2 baptisms to find i.e. Elizabeth and Sophia.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk