Author Topic: Bedwell family in York  (Read 2890 times)

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bedwell family in York
« on: Friday 04 September 09 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Does anyone out there have any info about the Bedwell family living in York in the early 1900's?
Frank Bedwell was a solicitor and also his brother Hugh who we believe is our great grandfather.Hugh was born in Leatherhead in1868 and was married to Laura Ashbee in1898.
They had one living son William Cecil born in1907.By 1911 Laura was  lodging in London and
 we can find no trace of Hugh or William.Hugh died in York in 1914. William married our grandma
 in Carlisle in 1925 then disappeared in the late 1920's .We have a record of his death in Salford Manchester in 1939.
         Thanks Jubed       
Sussex-Bedwell.Perthshire, Stirlingshire-Comrie.East Yorkshire-Berry,Bostock.Cumberland,Durham-Smith,Douglas.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bedwell family in York
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 September 09 01:29 BST (UK) »
and we can find no trace of Hugh

As mentioned on your previous thread - Hugh is shown on the 1911 census as in an institution in Yorkshire - details of the entry were sent by pm.

He is shown as H Bedwell b Surrey aged 44
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Yargdiva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 08:26 GMT (UK) »
I believe I have a great deal of information but your Bedwell family going back to the village of Poulton in Gloustershire in 1600, where they were Lord of the Manor.  I carried out a great deal of researching the 1980s (pre-computers) and have many of the Wills and other records. I also have a few portraits from the early 19 century.  If you are connected to these Bedwells your ancestors where termed Gentleman and appointed Locksmith to King George II and III.  PLease let me know if you are still actively researching and I will dig out my old records.
I am not related but an friend of mine at the time was a descendent of Horace Bedwell, who if I remember correctly was Hugh's brother.

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, since this was posted a few years ago, we discovered that advise we were given had put us on completely the wrong track and  we are actually connected to another Bedwell family from Uckfield in Sussex.Thanks again for your interest.
Best wishes Julie
Sussex-Bedwell.Perthshire, Stirlingshire-Comrie.East Yorkshire-Berry,Bostock.Cumberland,Durham-Smith,Douglas.

Offline Yargdiva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Okay, thanks.  I may actually have info on your Uckfield Bedwells as I did actually carry out a one name study on the Bedwells with a friend of mine while he was at university and we collected lots of information on all Bedwells throughout the UK dating back to 1229 in Essex. I do remember a Sussex branch, but they were not connected directly to Poulton Bedwells.

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.We have our  branch of the Uckfield/Fletching Bedwells back as far as George Bedwell b 1791 Fletching d 1861  married Sarah Thorpe 1793-1864.Their son Peter 1829-12/1/1904 married Sarah Beer b 1832 Maresfield.Their son Jesse CH born Dec 1861-10/4/1904 married Alice Welfare 27/12/1872- 15/2/1926 Eastbourne. Their daughter Cecily Annie Barbera b Dec 1891 Fletching had a son William Cecil 1907-1939 (my husband's grandfather) Cecily married John Coombes Rice in 1917 and as we can't find any trace of them after this we think they may have possibly emigrated to South Africa as we believe he was South African.Thanks again for your interest :)

Offline Bletherer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 July 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hello. Apologies this reply is obviously late in the game, but I'd be grateful for any info you have on the Bedwells. I am a descendant of Horace Bedwell, would also love to connect with any other living descendants. Many thanks in advance.

Offline jubed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 July 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Bletherer As you may have seen from a previous post, unfortunately we realised that we had been on completely the wrong track when we researched your branch of the Bedwells We found that ours was another Bedwell family also living in Uckfield I'm afraid that, as it's a few years since we did our research, we no longer have access to our trees on Ancestry I'm so sorry that I can't be more helpful Good luck with your research  Best wishes Julie