Author Topic: John Stamford & George TATE, Beverley  (Read 9326 times)

Offline davidbrid

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stamford & George TATE, Beverley
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Just found this thread.
Charles Stamford Lockington was my Great Grandfather. Annie I knew married a Tate as I went to school with a Michael Tate who turned out to be my second cousin His father was a Policeman at Witherensea. I have the Stamford's line back quite a long way. Graves in Beverley Minster, Burton Pidsea.

David

Offline history fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Policemen of Hull
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 November 10 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find out some info on my grandfather John William Walker who was a policeman in Hull in 1911. He was born in 1887 and lived in the Sculcoates area. I have found a policeman of that name on the 1911 census living at 1 Churchill Terrace, Durham St, aged 24, but I don't know if that's definitely him as there may have been other policemen of that name and age at the same time. Can you help me find out if there was more than one Hull policeman by that name circa 1911?

Thanks for any help or info you can give

Offline RockofAges

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 November 10 19:27 GMT (UK) »
  Hi David,
    This is the first time I have seen this message and in case you havn't had any replies I'll give you what I have got.  I have 4 Tates in the East Riding they are 1, George TATE Joined 11.9.1897 no number given.  2, George Wilfred TATE  PC 10  Joined 1.11.1920.   Harold TATE PC 131  Joined 6.7,1931.  Tom TATE  PC 216  Joined  1.12.1947.
  That is all I have hope they are useful

Rockofages
Cawkwell, Tunstall

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Policemen of Hull
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 November 10 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to find out some info on my grandfather John William Walker who was a policeman in Hull in 1911. He was born in 1887 and lived in the Sculcoates area. I have found a policeman of that name on the 1911 census living at 1 Churchill Terrace, Durham St, aged 24, but I don't know if that's definitely him as there may have been other policemen of that name and age at the same time. Can you help me find out if there was more than one Hull policeman by that name circa 1911?

Thanks for any help or info you can give
it might be a better idea to start a new post
so that people will be able to see your message more clearly
by asking on this existing post the only people who will see your question will be  people who have already contributed to this post
by starting a new post you are more likely to get more replies
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline history fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 November 10 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice. First time I've used this and think I got a little confused.  Have started a new post now. :-[

Offline roy142857

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 18:26 GMT (UK) »
George Tate's sister Elizabeth was my wife's Great Gran - she lived to 97 so my wife knew her quite well.

There is an article about their mother Annora (known as Norah) and about both George Tate's in the Beverley Guardian of July 27th 1935 (my in-laws have a copy of some sort). Also a photo of four generations of the family appeared alongside the article.

Annora's first four children (George 1870, Florence 1877, Mary Ellen 1878, Elizabeth 1880) were with Robert Tate, who we believe then disappeared, which is why she was later unable to marry Anthony Taylor, who she lived with. The four children with Anthony Taylor I believe had Tate as their surname, but Taylor as their middle name (Hilda 1885, Anthony 1887, Thomas 1889, Muriel 1892). The way they responded to the census was interesting (!):

1891   10, Alberlas Terrace, Holy Trinity And St Mary, Kingston Upon Hull
TATE, Annora    Head   Widow   F   40    1851   Lodging House Keeper    Beverley
Yorkshire   VIEW
TATE, Florence   Daughter      F   14    1877   Scholar    Hull
Yorkshire   VIEW
TATE, Hilda   Daughter      F   6    1885   Scholar    Hull
Yorkshire   VIEW
TATE, Antony   Son      M   3    1888   
   Hull
Yorkshire   VIEW
TAYLER, Antony   Boarder   Single   M   41    1850   Railway Laborer    Caistor
Lincolnshire   VIEW
RG number:
RG12   Piece:
3945   Folio:
64   Page:

1901  10 Alberta Terrace, Parrott Street, Hull
Anthony Taylor     Head       50    Caistor      Railway platelayer
Annora Tate           Sister      50    Beverley   Housekeeper
Hilda Tate              Niece      16    Hull
Thomas Tate          Nephew  13    Hull
Muriel Tate            Niece      9      Hull

Annora was the daughter of William Cooper and Ann(a) Wa(r)ters, she was named after her aunt Annora Cooper.

Elizabeth Tate, my wife's great gran, married Joseph Harland and had just one child, my wife's Gran Beatrice Annie Harland who was born in 1906.

I have only limited details of the other Tate descent lines (and a complete lack of death dates) and would be interested in knowing more. I do know George Wilfred Tate married Elise V Whitaker in 1924 and had a son Dennis, born 1925. Muriel Taylor Tate married John H Walker in 1913. Hilda Taylor Tate married Henry Goulton in 1920, sons William 1922 and John c1925.
Hillman (descendents of Thomas Hillman/Elizabeth Gasston); Wells (both family of Joseph Wells, firework artist and the Wells and Pritchett families); Cheese; Pack; and in East Yorkshire, Loft; Wise; Bradley; Harland; Hayton; Pamplin; Ulliott

Offline AlisonLeeds

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 April 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I realise that I'm some years late adding to this thread, but I've been doing some work on my partner's tree and we've traced back to George Tate / Robert and Annora Tate... Would be great to share info on this family if possible?
Regards, Alison

Offline roy142857

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
Ok, a bit more here Alison

It's been a while since I properly looked at this family ... too busy with project work for the past couple of years. But some extra info that may help

I have William Cooper's parents as John Cooper bap. 1776 Dec 28 at St Mary, Beverley and Ann Norris, who John married on Valentine's Day 1809, also at St Mary

Anna Waters parents James Waters from York and Mary Ridley from Selby married 1803 April 24rh in Selby.

Willian Cooper & Anna Waters daughter Mary Ellen Cooper 1856 married Edward Binnington from Woodmansey on 5th February 1880 at St Mary, Beverley

Their son George Edward Binnington 1880 marries Florence May Telford 1913 in Chester-Le-Street.

Mary & Edwards son Albert Ernest Binnington b. about 1897 married Mary Annie Eltringham in 1918 somewhere in Beverley district.

Guessing you probably have this from 1911 census:

30 Mill Lane, Beverley
George Tate                   40   Middlesborough   Police Constable
Annie Tate                     40   Lockington            5 children living, 1 died
George Wilfred Tate   12   Beverley
Charles Robert Tate     10   Beverley
John Stamford Tate        9    Beverley
Cyril Tate                         7     Beverley
Harold Tate                      2    Beverley

Annie Tate was the daughter of Lockington joiner Charles Stamford and his wife Sarah (nee Clark).

Speculative - A Charles R Tate marries Mary Drewery in 1924 in Beverley district, but I haven't proven whether or not Charles Robert from the above family (anyone know?)

A couple of updates about people previously mentioned

It appears Dennis Tate (middle name Leonard) married Vera Jefferson in 1954.

William H Goulton married Hazel McDonald in 1953

Hillman (descendents of Thomas Hillman/Elizabeth Gasston); Wells (both family of Joseph Wells, firework artist and the Wells and Pritchett families); Cheese; Pack; and in East Yorkshire, Loft; Wise; Bradley; Harland; Hayton; Pamplin; Ulliott

Offline Grandrew

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 09 April 19 21:49 BST (UK) »
Roy thank you for your very useful post particularly relating to Hilda Taylor Tate and her two sons William and John. Whilst not related by birth She adopted my mother and she was my Grandmother,and her two sons my Uncle Arthur (John) and Uncle Bill. She lived at 30 Mill Lane Beverley with her sister Mary Ellen Tate when I did her errands in the 50s/60s and I had not appreciated her link to George Wilfred Tate who lived there as a boy. I bought George Wilfrid Tate's medals some years ago and stumbled on your note re Hilda and the Tate family while I was researching him. What a bonus thank you so much.

Andrew Grantham.