Author Topic: Hughes - Roberts Llandegla  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Habron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hughes - Roberts Llandegla
« on: Friday 04 March 05 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the Hughes Family from Plas Newydd, Llandegla, and especially the daughter Mary who married the Headmaster of Llandegla school, he was also the Choir Master for St Teclas, his name was John Hooson Roberts
Huddersfield: Habron. Hellawell. Pollard
Halifax: Howarth
Galway: Abraham. Habron.
Llandegla: Roberts, Hughes
Amble: Roberts

Offline llew

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes - Roberts Llandegla
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 20:49 BST (UK) »
I have some churchyard data from St Tecla's church Llandegla which seems relevant to your search:

B   59   Hugh      ------      Hughes   Plas Newydd      1877   -------

B   59   Lousia      ------      Hughes   ----------------      1872   Cross

B   60   --------      ------      Williams   Plas Newydd      ------   -------

B   60   Jane      ------      Hughes   ----------------      1894   -------

B   60   Gertrude    ------      ---------   ----------------      1884    small cross

B   61   Mary      Hooson      Roberts    Plas Newydd      1891    School Master

Initial letter is churchyard area (B= is to right of the path leading to church doors) , followed by a headstone reference number (these are approx half way up  imediately adjacent to path). Then there is space for 1st, Middle, family name, house/farm/no, village/area, relevant dates (usually death), any other information (but not "in memory" etc). Grave B60 has three names associated. B59,B60 & B61 are all Plas Newydd's graves and are adjacent to each other. Oddly enough B61 has a femle name but school MASTER! Perhaps there's an illegible part on the stone. The information is as seen on headstones and nothing is inferred, you have to make any connections by associating headstone ref numbers.

I've searched the whole churchyard dataset for you as well as a Pisgah chapel (Pen y Stryt, Llandegla) list I have and war memorial lists as well. There is no church register data available from me as of yet...I hope to put this info in a web page on www.llandegla.org.uk quite soon.

I recorded this information in the early 80s in the winter and remember being snowed on. If you like I can ask one of my family to double check some of this information for you.

Offline Habron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 December 05 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear llew
My thanks for that information, I have visited the village and St Teclas, my Grandmother was born in the schoolhouse, her father was the headmaster but he left Wales and became headmaster in Amble Northumberland, his children followed him but his wife died before she could join him.
Thanks again.
Howard Habron
Huddersfield: Habron. Hellawell. Pollard
Halifax: Howarth
Galway: Abraham. Habron.
Llandegla: Roberts, Hughes
Amble: Roberts

Offline Jules11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile